Guest viewing is limited

THR No More Setbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
why when using a walker, do you walk fairly normal, but without, you sway like frankenstein
Some of this is habit and some may be post op recovery pain. Keep using your walking aides until you start leaving them behind. Everyone has a different timeframe for using aides. Don't feel bad about needing them - especially outdoors and when you are tired. In many cases you need to retrain yourself to have a normal gait. It all takes time - and patience. You'll get there!
 
I agree with @agileHippie You should only stop using aids when you can walk without a limp and in good form.How long this takes depends on the individual with me it was 3 months.It is not helpful for your PT to be so prescriptive by giving you a time scale for giving up your aid.
 
@Tweefishy don't let pt convince you that you are farther than your body is! In beginning I walked or lunged grabbing everything in sight. I looked just like Charlie Chaplin or a penguin bobbing back and forth. I never used walker at home due to stairs and carpet and dog who won't leave my feet. But if you cannot stand straight or your muscles are weak which mine were. ...use whatever works until you don't need it. I talked to a neighbor this weekend who said he watched me evolve to no cane from the beginning of walking about 10 feet with 2 crutches to 15 feet etc. Then to one crutch than to a cane then to walking only using cane half time etc. I had no idea but it took almost 5 weeks. He said it was awesome each day I was tiny bit better. Of course I could not see it. Interesting. Just use aid until you and only you feel it's not needed. Zombie walk will change I promise. I think that contributed to all my back pain too. Being about as non ergonomic as a person could be at first. Hang tight Little Fishstick.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@agileHippie totally agree. I am much better early on too. Sometimes I nearly almost feel like a spring chicken :chuckmarch:

@donor I agree with you too x

@forestje please don't get down, I need to use an aid too, I have a habit of insisting on trying to do without in the house, then I pay for it later on in the day with aches and pains, needing more meds, lying down and icing. Funny though there can be an occasional day where I am fine walking about....then it's the next day I pay for it instead!! Moral of story is....use aids until you are happy not too and you don't walk funny and hurt loads after!!

We need to let our new hips and muscles and tendons repair, also if you had the one where it needs bone growth, we need to allow that to happen too.
:console2:Xx
 
Aha...just realised the cause of pain today...doing clams. I didnt actually know that I was doing those, not having a PT and I will not be doing them again. Now I know why everyone else was in pain afterwards. So its a big no :no-fin: x
 
Thanks everyone for all the walking tips. I use the walker to specifically train myself to walk normal, heal, push off toe, stand up straight, tummy in, shoulders back, tips from training in PT when I had excellent insurance and excellent PT. Kaiser medicine is far from those days. And your right!!! My hip, my healing! Walking like Frankenstein to meet some arbitrary timeframe of where I should be in healing after my pelvis was chiseled out to make room for a normal, non dysplastic, titanium hip, is ridiculous! I know my body. And I push myself consciously more each day, within logical reason.
I felt like such a failure yesterday when I was told to ditch the walking aides. Tried for the afternoon at home and paid big time in pain so now it's back to me setting the pace.

I'm so happy to report benadryll put me to sleep!!!!! Everything seems better today finally having some sleep! I think I read about benadryll on the basketball shooters thread last night and I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of that!

From the sounds of it, we've all had our Frankenstein, zombie, uncle fester, riddler walks. It certainly flared up my low back pain in a matter of hrs so I think your right @donor, that may have been your source.

At least I finally got them to address my nerve pain since almost falling. Will try neurontin today. My nerve pain is far worse than the hip mechanics at this point so it'll be interesting to see how far along I am if that isn't a factor. Doc said to self dose up to max of 3600mg / day. That's quite a big margin. Any of you on Neurontin have an example of dosage that worked to calm things down?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@forestje - I don't see your recovery thread, but sounds like we had surgery about the same time. I'm on day 23 (surgery June 15) and walking is still a challenge, especially in the evenings when worn out.

@ donor- your nicknames meme me smile! Fishstik! ❤️fish with sticks for sure :)

@Jacey thanks for wise input!

@agilehippy and @Suzette - thanks for support and personal stories! We're all just floundering through this together. Much appreciated!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello my delish little Fishstick. :) @Tweefishy start slow on neurontin. .....don't post here that you are at max dose by Friday. So happy the docs leave it all up to us!
 
So glad I talked to you, @donor, about the neurontin today. 300 mg neurontin this afternoon when I was feeling the burn in my bum and leg and the muscle was spasming overtime, and about 3 hrs later I noticed I hadn't taken dilaudid all day, nor had I had percocet this afternoon. Yay!!!! Finally I convinced them to treat the root cause of my pain and wow, what a difference!

I feel such a burst of hope for getting better quickly now. I've been plateau with this nerve and muscle pain limiting my activity, but now, maybe I can make strides! Very excited after days and days of depression, anxiety, hopelessness and frustration with the medical system.

Between neurontin, cold laser and tens unit, this fishstick is on the mend!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Tweefishy Hope you made it thru the night. That little profile pic doesn't look like a Fishstick to me :)
Xo
 
It's where the fishies hide. Amongst the kelp. My specialty in school was algae, phytoplankton. That's right right folks. I love algae. You have been talking to a complete and total nerd! Don't be casting no shade on my beautiful kelp! It took me forever to figure upload this pic using a phone! It's so pretty isn't it?


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
I should find a pic of micro phytoplankton! They are sooo perrrty...... Ok.... Don't open this nerd valve!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@Tweefishy
I hope you are able to figure out a healthy return to work. It is so stressful to get it right and I think it's because we don't understand the post op recovery in the first place! Because as @donor mentioned someone at her work said it was ~ a little surgery! Good lord yea right ~ quite little!
So I am wondering why your PT wants you off of walking aides when you are limping?! I am the same way ~all nice and straight with the cane and then a bit of a " twist" with out the cane~ maybe it's just a matter of needing it for balance? After all~ it's all managed in the big toes ~ I think I learned that~ right?
As for sleep~ it's just out of reach some nights. I think it's ok if you can catch up with naps during the day.
Hang in there! :umm:
 
Its also about gait if removing aid worsens gait then it deminishes the whole reason for going thru this.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I've picked back up my walker, crutches and cane. I agree PT was misguided in telling me to be off of them by today. It definitely defeats the purpose if I cannot walk with balance and normal gait. The neurontin is making a big difference in my nerve pain and I finally feel like I'm moving forward in healing.

I went out to dinner last night with my husband and stepson. I had real clothes on, makeup, jewelry, crutches and travel ice packs. I felt like a normal person for the first time since surgery. It was awesome! And so nice to see my stepson run ahead to open the door for me, and fuss about while I got seated. Being a stepmom is such a challenge, and I rarely get to feel that the boys appreciate or care for me. So the little things he did last night make a huge impact on me.

As for work, I have a new work status note and a teleconference Monday. So we shall see. I'm sure I'll have stories for you after the meeting Monday, but for now, I'm trying to let go and let the universe handle it.

I am in work simulation training: I've been spending my afternoons training for hrs of computer work by using my laptop for up to 4 hrs with slight breaks for stretching. Im pillowed up on a recliner and ice, but hey, we gotta do what we gotta do.

I'm finally doing a project we never had time to complete, or the money to pay professionals to do...our wedding photo book. With our 4th anniversary a week away, I'm editing the photos and getting sappy doing it. As soon as the pics are edited then I can put together our wedding album. The project is training me to sit, focus, be on a computer, set stretching times, and of course, finally having a beautiful wedding album is almost a reality.

So, back to photo editing I go, I mean, work simulation training ;)


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@jacey: definitely a cure for boredom!

And a welcome project to end day time tv insanity. Good grief, the shows on tv during the day are just crazy. I welcome any show suggestions with numerous episodes on demand that I could start watching.
I also just started reading Dr. Wayne dyers book, living the tao. It's a good time in my life to practice and experience the teachings of the tao. Being on ice half the day demands a certain amount of zen like patience with yourself. So far I recommend the book. It's very easy to read and breaks down the often conflicting style of the Tao writings, into understandable prose.

Fire away with TV, movie, or book recommendations. Even while editing pics I like to have the TV on to keep me company.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom