Guest viewing is limited

THR No More Setbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad your trip was satisfying although tiring. I still cannot get over how easily I tire since the surgery. Get lots of rest!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok folks, I must be getting better, I'm bored out of my skull, not reliant on meds, and just want to return to life. The most exciting part of my day is making dinner for my hubby. I can finally drive to stores and shop for a bit but still using two feet to drive my vehicle. I know I'm at the critical Lou t where I'm supposed to pace myself, but all I want to do is ANYHING but sit on the couch.
What are some ways to ease into active life? I've never been able to pace myself but this time I must to make sure I don't end up with tendinitis. Any ideas!?!?!?! Pleeeez! This case of cabin fever is awful.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
I just tried to get out. I did the old practice of look at what's around you but you look straight past in your busy schedule. I also downloaded an app Duolingo its a really easy introduction to diff languages on a social conversation basis.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I remember going stir crazy and craving a walk outside. I think the best idea is to keep walks very short but have two or three during the day. You probably keep a training log already but if you aren't I recommend it. It helps to see the progress you are making without going to far too fast. Patience is needed. :walking:
 
I walked outside alot. I also did some stationery bike in the garage as we have a trainer. Also did short car trips for the dumbest things. I was at Trader Joe's every day looking at every item they sold. Just to get outside, feel more normal , see real people and talk to folks. For me, getting back to work, even half days shifted my focus and that helped alot. when are you going back @Tweefishy? So glad you have ants in your pants! Such a great sign. ♡
 
All good ideas! I've never heard of that app for language learning but wth! This morning I actually need to go somewhere and no coffee! What!? Oi vey!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Can you walk to a coffee shop and treat yourself? It's all about finding your limits and scaling back if you do too much. What seem impossible one day is easy the next. Almost there!
 
I'm so happy! I drove on the hwy for 2 exits today! Treated myself to coffee, then a full body workout bra shopping. All those months of crutches ruined all the ones I had. Good grief, is it necessary to have rows of merchandise low enough to make a munchkin stoop down?!?! Well at least I made it out there in two's: 2 bras, 2 walks around the entire store (where are the cashiers when you need 'em?!?), 2 trips on the hwy for 2 exits, and got out of the house for 2 hrs! Woohoo!!! Tired and a bit sore but ok. Now to rest with a movie this afternoon


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
hi @Tweefishy (love the name)
Congrats on your big day. I just read through all of your thread and what a journey! Did you have a posterior THR? You are making some big headway and it's still less than 8 weeks! Sounds good to me... I pore over these post op recoveries like a young child reads bedtime stories!!
you did a lot today. :yes!:
 
@cricket I had a posterior thr.

@donor yes, the girls will be perky ;) when are we getting together???? This weekend is out, how's next weekend looking?

As for my little outing today, it wiped me out! Had to take a nap when I got home and ice down... It's been a bit since that was mandatory. But it was so nice to get out on my own. Still having to brake with my left foot so driving is minimal, at off peak times, and still scary.

Tomorrow is another day out and about with 3 dr apts but not back to back. I'll start off at the Chiro for some pain relief & adjustments, then onward to deal with a few regular health visits as long as I'm off work.

Hopefully I make it brought all of them before my need for a nap ;)




RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
I wanted to repost this clip about how to fix limping and gait problems in my thread so I can refer folks to it.


QUOTE="Tweefishy, post: 800930, member: 18365"]I just caught up on your thread....

I'm having the hardest time learning how to walk 'normal too'! I also had dysplasia my whole life but never had symptoms until a car accident 8 yrs ago that tore cartilage. Once that gave way, nothing really held my leg in place. It IS crazy mind challenging to walk now. I was walking horrendously by the time I had surgery so the muscles and tendons just don't know what to do now.

On Friday, my PT lady explained it in terms that finally made sense and showed me how to kick start the muscles when I am stuck in limp mode, maybe it will help you too.

Apparently I was not shifting my weight to the titanium side when I walked, I stayed centered over the good side. To break that, she walked right next to me and said my shoulder on the titanium hip side had to hit her shoulder with each step. It was so bizarre but it worked. She also said to shift all my weight onto the titanium side whenever I'm standing around (dishes, teeth brushing, etc) I had been trying to evenly distribute weight but usually still centered over good leg and balanced crooked. I practiced Fri and Sat, and I think I broke the wt shift obstacle already! I have to think about it still, but it's working!

My next major problem walking was that my muscles and tendons just don't know what to do. She had me do a slight kick back with each step when first starting to a walk and anytime I noticed I was limping again. It wakes up those muscles, nerves, etc. How to: knees same height, but kick your foot back so calf and hamstring make a 45-60 degree angle. Do it till it feels easy. First few will be bizarre and weird feeling.

Then do a march of sorts, again when first staring out walking or when notice gimping. How to: lift knee a bit just to activate the quad, then step through. Do till feel easy as above.
Then walk at normal pace with someone on your titanium side and shoulder bump each time on the operated leg.
If your leg is anything like mine, it may help tremendously. I did this for 2 days each time I got up to walk, and I swear to you, the pattern is breaking itself!!! I've told my husband at least 30x this PT girl is a gem! She's not big on exercises but big on getting me walking normal. Give it a try. I am absolutely amazed to see noticeable results this fast. Added bonus, groin pain nearly gone since I'm using proper muscles to walk instead of inner thigh muscles having to do it all.









RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015[/QUOTE]



RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Tweefishy ,
Your nickname is very sweet indeed. Where does it come from? BTW I love tropical fish - I have a fishtank.

Hope you have recovered from your car trip and shopping trip. I'm sure that after a good rest, you can return to the activities you enjoy. I understand you fully concerning cabin fever and boredom. It can be a real torture: Workaholics and/or exercise freaks :) are the most affected.

Now - regarding limping:
If it's any comfort to you - even people with an obvious success story limp sometimes (I was back to work fulltime at six weeks post OP cycling to work (21 km either way) or driving to work (33 km)). At week 12, we had a two week holiday in Cairns, Northern Australia. The flight was ok for my hip despite the over 24 hrs in the air, and I did a lot of walking and some swimming in Australia, which was ok. But it was unusually cold for a tropical place like Cairns and both me and my husband caught a cough and a cold. So I must have been exhausted. A a nice Australian in my hotel asked me one day whether my leg was better then because he had seen me limping the other day. While I was not in pain and was not aware of it, I must admit that it was true.

Your approach to "no limping" sounds very good - using the right muscles. I like the bit about marching and lifting the knee, and I can add, it helps to walk upright consciously and tense your tummy muscles.

What also helped me was any kind of cycling - exercise bike, outdoor bike - because you get the feel of symmetry. However - in moderation: Going uphill forcefully still imposes a strain on my operated leg which is not quite as strong as the unoperated one. Anyway - from what I've read on Bonesmart, while it takes between 6 and 12 weeks that we are already a lot better - we are really "quite better"/restored to normal between 6 and 12 months, so we shouln't worry if we still experience "minor weeknesses" after such a long time.
Best wishes - and no more cabin fever/boredom
Constanze
 
Doing well and I'm sure you rested, elevated after, of course you did.....

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Not quite sure as to why, think it was the change in the avitar, that got my attention and I did , recognize your name. Anyway I read you whole thread, what an emotional roller coaster!
I'm at 6 weeks post op. and just starting to begin to learn to walk again ( wt bearing restrictions for 6 weeks)
Your walking tips will come in handy.
Pulling for you and hopefully things will get a lot quieter in the future.
@Tweefishy
 
@Constanze I never thought a stationary bike would feel good this early, but we have one and I will definitely try riding it tomorrow. Starting slow of course. I miss my cruiser! For years biking was the only form of cardio exercise I could do since it allowed my leg to pull down, out of the groin, relieving pressure and pain. Thanks for the tip!!!!! I'll let you know if it helps me like it helped you.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@lalo My journey has been up and down in more ways than healing. I love seeing my chiropractor. I started seeing her when I almost fell off the toilet which triggered mega sciatica and crazy pain. Every time I see her she just raves about how good I'm doing, how much progress she notices since my last visit, how I AM making healing happen, and to keep it up. It's worth the money just to have that regular bit of cheerleading on my behalf! She can really turn a down day into a major progress day with a shift in attitude. She is such an inspiration as an amputee. No matter what pain I'm in, or how bad a day I might be having, to have someone with one leg tell you you are doing great, takes any bit of pity party away. I will get better. I am getting better. She doesn't have that chance.

I'm a solid believer in cold laser treatments to expedite healing and calm pain, and listening to your body. I actually drove with my right leg operating the brake today during my outings. I was amazed! Just yesterday I could not do that! These triumphs keep me going on the slow days.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@jacey & @ josephine Why is my picture linked to the new forum link Go Live Rich? I noticed this a few days ago when ya'll first posted it. Last night I uploaded a new thread photo in hopes of un-linking my photo from this new forum link, but it didn't work. The link changed right along with my photo :/
Will you please un-link my photo from this new feature on the forum?


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hi @Tweefishy , I do like your last 2 posts. Yes - do keep me up to date. I'd like to know whether cycling helps people other than me.
At the moment, due to lack of time, long-distance cycling (to work) is the only exercise I can do. And we're having another heatwave in Germany - 38°C - how much is that in Fahrenheit? So we'll see how I will feel this evening. Up to now, my hip has been fine. After my long ride to work, I sometimes sort of jogged into the building to relax my muscles and that does them a lot of good - I know - this is a very unorthodox approach.

Did you say your chiropractor had a leg amputated? We have many disabled people at the institute where I work. And they also inspire me. Some of them have so much more discipline and endurance than many nondisabled members of staff. I have a friend with an amputed lower leg. She has a translator's degree and now works as the assistant of a department manager, and she travels a lot, has learned 6 foreign languages, works overtime if required (I couln't work such long hours now), and often walks with me in the forest with her crutches - quite long distances - about a mile or more during our lunch break. Yes, these people do give us a lot of encouragement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom