TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I had a much better night last night pain wise and am better this morning! I'm going to make it to Sunday School and hopefully church, too! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Thank you so much for all your prayers and your encouragements. You can't imagine how much it means to me and has helped me through a very down day yesterday! BoneSmarties are a gigantic blessing for me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy to read you are finally getting to go to your Sunday school. If you don't make it to church just remember you made it to Sunday school. I think that may be enough for your first day and I'm sure you will be so happy to be back. I was really sorry to read about the hard day you were having yesterday. Those days are sometimes harder then the pain, at least they were for me. But thankfully we try hard not to get stuck in them and the next day is brighter. I had these on and off blues days for about 3 months, which shocked me, but happily I no longer have them. Not to say everything is roses with this knee, it's just that it doesn't impact me that way anymore. Hopefully your off days are fewer and fewer. Hope you are having a great Sunday!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so glad you had a good night, I took benadryl and was able to sleep better.

That's great that you are able to go to Sunday school and church, enjoy your day!!!
 
I made to S.S. and church! I had my leg propped up the whole time, but there was no way to elevate it. There was a wreck on the main road on our way home, so that took an extra 20 minutes or so before getting there. Thank God Marilyn was driving! By the time we got home my swelling had increased and pain was up even though I had taken a 50mg Tramadol about 90 minutes earlier. I've been elevating and icing since finishing lunch and am feeling some better! A nap certain didn't hurt matters either! It was really good to get back to church! Everyone was so warm and friendly. It really made me felt loved! Since it's pretty congested when people are milling around I used my walker. I'm too insecure to try just a cane yet. But, I made it back, finally! It's the little things, but to me this was a big thing! Another step towards normalcy!
Thank you all for your best wishes and prayers!
 
Yayyy you did it, so glad you had a good time, another goal achieved!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! Keeping the leg up is way better than down even though it isn't elevated.
 
We are the largest SS class and have a pew along the back wall in our class room. I was able to stretch out on that and the same way in church. I couldn't have stood having it down all that time. I have not been able to hold either leg down for years and since I have always had a cane with me, I'd use it to prop my legs up on. This isn't near high enough now so I'll be using the pews for a while yet. The worse part of the day was riding in the car. We're about 25 minutes from our church and the ride home was about 45 minutes. I am so thankful I'm feeling better. I'll measure my knee later and see low much it's gone down! It had gone up 3/4" and it's 3" larger than the other one. It's not as tight, so I can tell it has diminished some. Ice and elevation is the key!
 
Wonderful that you could rejoin your church family. Too bad about the unpleasant ride. I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!
 
Had a pretty good night knee wise. Was just awake from 3:30 to 5:30, then my 20 year old woke me up wanting breakfast about 7:30. Next time I'll throw a pillow at her! Knee was a little achy this morning after yesterday's outing, but not bad at all! We're going out geocaching between the raindrops. I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I am now a member of the ODIC. We went cache hunting for about 5 hours. I walked on uneven ground through grass, sand, and some gravel a few times, but worse than that was that none of the time we were driving to the different ones was my knee propped up or iced. I started getting really uncomfortable in the car after a few hours, but I didn't want to mess up Marilyn's day off. Eventually I couldn't hide my pain and she apologized and we headed home. I feel it already. Standing and walking is painful. Not bad, but it lets me know it's there. Now for some more good news, I was able to rock back and forth and rotate backwards on my bike last night for 5 minutes! I was very happy with this accomplishment. I will skip this workout tonight because I feel I have already had a workout today. My backward rotation is easier than it was Friday, so my knee's getting looser! My extension needs some work on it, but only little bits at a time. The calf is very tight. I'm unable to lay on my tummy yet to let my leg dangle off the bed. When I can, I'll concentrate more on the extension.

I hope every one had a good, less painful day and that everyone in the states had a good and safe holiday. We had rain off and on all day, but still was able to cook some turkey burgers on the grill! It's nice to have my taste buds and appetite back! Now, to not gain any of my weight loss back! My baby knee would not like that and I want to keep her as happy as possible!
 
I'm sorry your knee is uncomfortable but I'm happy you had a great time today. I hope you have a good night!!!
 
I was very happy to read you made it to church yesterday and then have an outing today. We all need a visit to the ODIC to keep us going at times. I hope you are able to get a good nights sleep tonight. You deserve it.
 
I'm already feeling better! Icing and elevating are miracle workers! If we don't have a few bad times we won't appreciate the good ones! I'm still elevating and icing at night. It hurts my knee not to have a pillow under it. I know it's coming from my less than perfect extension. I went a couple of nights last weeks without icing at night and it was too early to stop it then. Once I started it back up during the night I have a whole lot less discomfort! The ice machine I bought that has a timer is working perfectly. When I used the one that was on all the time I got too cold and had a hard time warming up. When I put the ice on for 30 minutes I normally fall asleep before it cuts off. Then when I wake up for a potty break, then I put it back on for another 30 minutes. Just enough time to get back to sleep again, most of the time! The same thing goes when it's a pill time. 30 more minutes and I'm asleep and not too cold!

I pray we all have a good night's sleep! I haven't had a nap so maybe I due for a long winter's nap in the summer! Pleasant dreams tonight my fellow smarties! Tomorrow's gonna be a better day for all of us!
 
@Josephine, should my incision be completely healed before I try the cling wrap at night? I still have a few scabs but am anxious to give the wrap a try.
 
I wouldn't do it until all the scabs are gone but I'm very cautious. By using the wrap you will be creating a warm moist space where if there is any bacteria there it could grow. If you have a scab there could still be microscopic openings. This is just my opinion but I'm always thinking better safe than sorry.
 
:goodpost: Yep wait until it is fully healed. Try one Tylenol pm, it helped me immensely.
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your outings, but you overdid things, as you found out.

It's only just over a month since your surgery. Your knee still needs lots of time to heal and, while overdoing it once in a while is probably OK, doing it too often could result in chronic inflammation, which takes ages to settle.
 
Your knee will be telling you to spend day icing and elevating I'm sure. :ice:
 
I had a good night! Before bed at 9pm, I took 10mg of the Oxy and didn't need anything else until 4:30am, when I got up and took just 1 5mg Oxy pill. Went back to sleep in a few minutes after that and slept 'til 6:30am! This was a very good night's sleep for me! I have to admit, though, that I did wake up a few times in between and cut on the 30 minute timer of the ice machine, but immediately went back to sleep. It looks like yesterday's busy day hasn't set me back but maybe just a little bit. My biggest complaint this morning is being a tad more stiff than usual.

I just measured my ROM and I'm 104/4. Much improved from my last entry of 92/10! And this is without PT, just walking and rocking back and forth on my recumbent bike! I did the bike for 5 minutes Sunday evening and for 7 minutes this morning. Still haven't made a forward revolution, but I'm not stressing about it. It will come when my knee is ready for it to come!

More good news! After existing on mostly junk food for 3 weeks, I've lost 1.5 pounds! I was afraid I had gained. I had been on the Nutrisystem for 2 months before my tkr and lost 13 pounds. I sure didn't want to put weight back on after all that hard work! With my activity level so low, I was afraid I had. Maybe my body is burning more calories than it normally would by healing my knee. Sounds good to me!

Thank you for your suggestions about the cling wrap. I will hold off on it until every scab is gone. I have one left that is especially long, about 1/2". I certainly don't want to do anything to let bacteria enter into it!

I wish you all a good day with minimal pain, or better yet, no pain! Keep away from the ODIC! That club isn't a fun place to visit!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom