TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I found the ability to concentrate on anything for the first month post op was missing. I wasn't even taking any narcotics at the time so I can't blame that. I guess that baby knee kept sucking all the energy my body had to heal itself. It probably took me to almost three months before I felt I was able to fully concentrate for any long periods of time.
 
My roommate has agreed to take over my teaching for Sunday. I got only one page of notes for her that I did yesterday, but she said that will be a help. This lack of brain material is crazy! I might as well sit back and enjoy being foggy! It's going to be there whether I want it to be or not.

My knee feels like it did a couple of weeks ago and I really think 3 days of activity set me back. I've learned again the hard way. I was going to try grocery shopping this week, but it ain't gonna happen! It's still way too early. We can go this weekend and I can ride the motorized cart. It's going to be too hot to do anything outside anyway.
 
@dianehelen I think I'm going to try meditation, not sure if I can, I always have a million things going through my head, a real traffic jam, lol...I'm willing to try, I'll let you know if I'm successful.

@sistersinhim you have to learn to give yourself a pass for all those things that need to get done and you can't get to, just concentrate on your recovery. It sounds like you have an amazing roommate that is very supportive and willing to help you, accept that help and stop filling guilty, one day you may be able to return the favor or maybe you can do something special for her once you are well to show your appreciation, you are not taking advantage, you really need the extra help right now. You are doing well in recovery things will get much better soong:flwrysmile:
 
@uva55 I have always been able to clear my mind by sitting outside and just looking at the sky. I watch the clouds go by. I hear birds singing and feel the warmth and breeze on my face.

Accept the help as much as you would be wanting to give the help if things were reversed. Friends are there for us and with us when we are down.
 
@uva55, and @newlybionic, you both are such a blessing to me. I am my worst enemy, which I'm sure all of us are at times. Marilyn is a true friend and blessing not only to me, but to many others. She is an example of what Jesus says is good neighbor to all. We met in '97 when I joined the church and choir where she was and is the choir director. We soon became singing partners and traveled for about 15 years all over our area to sing at different functions. With my knee problems all my adult life we decided to buy a house together where she's my helper and best friend.

I backslid in my teens until my 40s. After being divorced in the 90s, I rededicated my life back to God and asked Him for a good Christian friend. He sent Marilyn into my life. If she were to marry, we'd still be 'sisters'. She was my coach during this surgery and this rehab. I can do little things for her such as cooking her dinner and washing her clothes. Oh yeah, I do her taxes; no easy job! So, I guess we are helping each other out! I am a SS teacher, but she is the Sunday School Superintendent, so it falls on her anyway to teach if someone is out. I plan on being there, but my mind will be out, unfortunately!
 
I had a really good night! I was even able to sleep on my side some without a lot of pain! And even better than that, I met three goals today! A shower with no one else here, a shower without a shower chair, and pulling weeds and grass from between the bricks on our patio! Three goals met in one morning! My day of rest yesterday did a world of good. But, this is it for any extra work today. I might be slow, but I do learn by experience! Obviously, the knee is better today, much less stiff. There's still the burning on the inside of it and the shin bone is sore, but that's it for the most part. The other little aches and pains are hardly worth mentioning! They're like hit and miss. One time here, another time there. A little twinge, a little grab, but nothing really bad at this point! So, those of you just starting this journey, things will get much better. Especially if you take it easy on that new, baby knee! You'll start to have some good days. On those days don't overdo like so many of us have. It's not worth it and just sets you back. Before long the good days will out number the bad days! Your knee is the boss. Listen to it!!
 
So glad you're doing so well! Okay, I have to ask...how on earth did you manage to pull weeds? I can't get down on the ground unless I have a good sturdy support to hold onto on the way down and up! Unless you managed to pull them by just bending over? That's one of the things I can't really do in my garden yet. We do have raised beds but sitting down and getting up from the sitting ledge is basically not doable for me yet. So, I am impressed!
 
Being without kneecaps, for over 20 years I've been unable to stoop. I have to bend from my waist. I am blessed that I've been able to stay limber that way. I can bend and put my hands flat on the ground! The first time I tried pulling since this surgery was 2 weeks ago and it really hurt my knee. I've tried little bits since then and today it didn't hurt at all! You can't believe how bad that patio and our walkway is! We've had rain almost everyday for the last 5 weeks. The grass and weeds have taken over! Normally I spray apple cider vinegar about once a week to keep everything under control. Being laid up for a month, this hasn't been done and things have gone crazy! It's going to take me most of the summer to get it under control again. But, at least I've gotten a start on it this morning. I would never be able to sit down and then get up off the ground or even a low seat now, so bending over it is! Not a pretty sight, but who cares? Not me. Nobody's around but my kitties!
 
I won't use poisons with my 11 kitties and loads of birds and their babies in my yard. Years ago I tried Roundup and I found that apple cider vinegar works just as quickly and as well and it's a natural product and pretty inexpensive. But, my weeds on the patio are over a foot tall. The vinegar won't reach the roots until the tops are gone. That's why I'm pulling. I wish it hadn't gotten this bad, but it couldn't be helped. God's in control of the weather and my knee is in control of me!
 
Apple cider vinegar works on a multitude of things. I'll have to try that on weeds next time.
 
It's a great cleaner, too. And so is the white vinegar.
 
As a home nurse there were a few patients that used Apple cider vinegar for different skin conditions especially on their feet.

I'm glad that you had a much better day. Many more are yet to come for you.:)
 
What was wrong with her feet? I've heard of using it for sunburn relief, also a hair conditioner. But, pee u! Boy, would we stink. People would like we were pickling eggs!
 
I remember one gentleman that had very scaly skin on his feet. He was supposed to soak them for 10 minutes or so every day.. We then got to clean them with saline solution and use a special lotion on them.
 
Isn't it amazing how something as simple as vinegar can do so many things besides seasoning food.
 
They took out bone, and replaced it with metal, but I am sure it's not a 4 lbs difference. I would suspect it is the fluid in the swollen leg.

I gained four pounds right after surgery too. I'm ten days post op right now and really have not had much of an appetite since surgery. It's got to be retained fluids because I can tell my stomach is flatter and I have that feeling that I've lost weight... hopefully, it will show up eventually :)
 
Back
Top Bottom