TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Yes! I am feeling more optimistic than I have since before this surgery! I think I'm finally glad I had it done.
 
Congratulations on the sustained weight loss! I have gained all my lost weight back and an extra pound to boot. I think it is time I stayed away from the comfort food!
 
Me, too. I gotta go back on my Nutrisystem meals. I have a whole month's worth of meals, but man, that ice cream is so much better! Not to mention the ease of a protein drink. But, we do have to suffer to do what's right for our bodies! Getting more weight off will be better for my knees, heart and whole body!
 
It looks like yesterday's busy day hasn't set me back but maybe just a little bit. My biggest complaint this morning is being a tad more stiff than usual.
You did remember that stiffness is a manifestation of pain? :)

I just measured my ROM and I'm 104/4. Much improved from my last entry of 92/10! And this is without PT
That is excellent!
 
@Josephine, the only real pain I'm having now is between rb2 and rf2 D. Is there an exercise I can do to work on this area or something I shouldn't be doing that is stressing it? It doesn't bother me unless I've been on my feet for a while. It also has the most swelling. The rest of my knee seems to be in good shape!
 
Sorry, sweetie. Can you give me a proper reference?

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
@Josephine, It is actually on the left hand side of my knee at DRB2 location.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This article explains:
ROM (range of motion) information

Usually, the PTs measure your ROM, but some people buy themselves a goniometer. I don't think that's necessary. When doing it yourself, it's easy to measure incorrectly and it's unwise to get wrapped up in the numbers.

ROM can be a good measure of progress in the early days but, in the end what you can do with your knee is more important than the numbers.

Once he can see you'v passed 90 degrees, my surgeon doesn't measure ROM at all. He examines your leg and says "Show me what you can do."
 
@sistersinhim great ROM. I hope your pain gets better, I also have one little spot on the knee that if I touch it it hurts, I even have to be very gentle when I lay the ice pack on it.
 
Another restless night last night. No reason for it. I think I'll blame it on menopause! Knee did well and I was able to sleep a little on my sides with the ice machine hooked to my knee. Being in those different positions have left me achy, but nothing major. Icing is helping that. Of course, whenever sitting I'm icing.

I found another way to go to the ODIC yesterday. I was working on the computer researching for an upcoming teaching I'm doing. Surfing, plus referring to reference books and then typing my presentation. After about 3 hours of doing this I became very dizzy, light-headed and nauseous. I was absolutely no good for the rest of the evening and had to force dinner down. Today I am wiped out, having no energy at all. The studying will have to wait until tomorrow. I need a day of complete rest. I guess having 3 days of activity was just too much for me. And I never would have thought that mental activity would be so affected by this surgery, but obviously it has. Have any of you experienced such a wipe out from mental work? I thought sitting in my recliner and icing my knee at the same time I was working was harmless. Maybe not. Next time I'm limiting myself to 1 hour of work at a time.

I'm still having the shin bone pain and the pain after standing and/or walking a while at the drb2. Otherwise, no too bad.
@dianehelen, I bought a goniometer from Amazon. Since I'm not going to PT, I was curious as to how I'm doing. Of course, I can tell I'm doing better just by the ability of doing my daily activities.

Things are getting easier. I can sit with my legs bent for more than just a few minutes now. I'm trying to do more of that. I have good lift of the leg now and have no problem getting it onto the bed. I can even lift it above my head while sitting! I feel it in the quad, but I'm doing it!

I've not been taking naps now for a few days, but I think today will get one! I need to recoup some of my energy! I hate being so tired. I have so many things I want to do but can only think about doing them.
 
The mental fatigue kept me from writing lesson plans for my substitute teacher during my TKR. I couldn't read or concentrate for months after my TKR. I didn't really push it so I never experienced the symptoms you mentioned, but the mental fatigue can go on for a few months also. It takes a great deal of energy to concentrate. I visualize our bodies having one lump sum of energy to pull from in order to heal, then you pull energy from that lump to study or read, thereby draining your body's energy to heal. It exlplains why I couldn't even concentrate enough to watch tv for months without falling asleep. Napping sounds like a good idea for you today.
 
It surprised me how much it affected me physically. I know about the brain fog, and I still have plenty of that. But, for the brain work to affect my body so much never crossed my mind. I'm doing nothing but the basics today. I'll read for fun and watch the tube.
 
@sistersinhim have you ever tried meditation to help with concentration? When I was working teaching very complex technical material, I had to really focus on learning it to a level of competency to be able to teach it to others. A mentor of mine suggested meditation. It can be as simple as sitting with eyes closed for 15 or 20 minutes only thinking of a single anchor word, or image and concentrating on your breathing. If I was having focus issues with new material, I would put it down, go to a different room and meditate. When I returned to the task my brain and body felt refreshed and renewed to be able to tackle the material.
 
@dianehelen, thank you for that suggestion. That's something that just might help. My problem will be trying to concentrate that long. I find it hard to even read a book right now. Things will be much better when I can get a good night's sleep, I'm sure.
 
The brain fog and inability to concentrate surprised me so much. I am a HUGE reader, it's what I've done with my life, taught children to read. My bff has many surgeries and hospitalizations, each time I'd bring her books to read because she hated being in the hospital so much and I thought it would help pass the time. Before my TKR I loaded up my kindle and packed it in my bag. I was in the hospital and transition care for 10 days but couldn't read anything. The inability to concentrate or focus shocked me. I could read my Bible, but that was it.
 
My problem will be trying to concentrate that long.

the nice thing about meditation, is you dont really have to concentrate on anything, in fact its really the practice of concentrating on nothing, other than a word or image and breathing. It really is amazing how even 10 minutes, if you cant do 15 or 20, can give you a head start on focusing on something else.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom