TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@sistersinhim when I wake up for my pill sometimes I can't get back to sleep right away...this is why I'm also awake.

That's great that you are able to sleep on your side!
 
Oh yes! Sleeping on my side has been one of my goals for a couple of weeks now. Another baby step met! I think I'll go back and see if I can get some more of that wonderful sleep. I hope you can too. Catch you later.
 
@sistersinhim I am so happy at your good news! I think this is just the beginning of real progress for you. I bet you go to church on Sunday. The bad weeks are now behind us. We are champions one and all.
 
YAY for side sleeping! I think it took me 3 weeks to feel comfortable enough on my left side. Right side is still somewhat of a struggle. That is the side with the swelled up pocket of fluid and it presses down into the mattress unbearably. Left side I can usually find a way for left leg to support with little or no pain. YAY! again!
 
I couldn't do it again after I went back to bed last night. But, I will be able to. I know that! And forget laying on my tummy! I very quickly tried that. OUCH!! When icing in bed at night I get very chilled. if I could just sleep in the fetal position I would be warmer. It will be a while before that happens. In the meantime I just throw on an extra blanket. Saves on the a/c bill!
 
Gee, one thing I wont have to worry about. Ever since my hip nighmare, two years ago , leaving me with a permanent gash /dent of painful scar tissue on my side, I have never been able to sleep on my side. I sleep on my back, propped up almost half sitting.

Glad you side aleepers are starting to get back to your normal sleep positions, little by little

Do you guys elevate your op leg when you sleep?
 
The probiotics really did the trick.

Can you, or anyone give me a quick lesson on probiotics?

Which do you take, is it refrigerated, how many a day? This was suggested to my husband, & seems so many and so different and , whew, expensive.

Thank
 
@dianehelen
no - well, not with pillows or anything. I use my left leg as the elevator by having a slight bend in my right knee to fit into the left knee. Right knee does NOT like just sitting on top of left knee, so it has to fit in the bend . If I can't get it to fit, then I can't lay on side at that time. But it'll come!
 
I've been increasing my side sleeping ever so slowly for several weeks now. When I start to get on my side I smile every single time because I missed it so much the first 5wks! Now I'm seeing my knee bending and enjoying being on it's side more and more! I get more bend on my side with a pillow in between the two knees. This is definitely one of my favorite recovery gifts!
 
I am also getting back to sleeping on my side. I gave up icing at night and elevation. With my wonderful half sleeping pill I just hop in like a normal person and fall asleep in 15 minutes. I go back to sleep when I get up during the night which is still several times. I don't care that I now have to nap during the day now since I don't have much else to do anyway. No sewing for me. I made one quilt, all hand sewed, and that was enough for a lifetime.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
I do still elevate and ice part of the time in bed. I can't ice all night because I get too cold. If I don't elevate the knee hurts. My calf muscles are still tight and I don't have a 0 extension yet making it necessary to have a pillow under my knee.
 
You're still doing great Paula! I'm 4wks ahead of you and you're going to be AMAZED at how different things are 4wks from now-!! AMAZED!!
 
@dianehelen I don't know what to tell you about probiotics. I just googled it and read, read, and read. I now get them on auto delivery from Amazon. They make a big difference in my tummy problems.

I got some more good news and another goal met! Twice I did a complete backward revolution on my recumbent bike! Now, the next goal is to go forward all the way! I'll have to be really patient with that one. And I've had to take my Tramadol only twice, too. It's getting better!
 
Yes! Hopefully I'm right behind you @sistersinhim! I got away with sleeping on my side for about 10 minutes last night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dianehelen, Amazon had dozens of them, but I chose the hyperbiotics Pro-15. They are time-released and are to take one a day. You might something that would work better for you. There are all kinds out there.
@Nvstig8tr, I took the side-sleeping for granted before this surgery. Not now. It felt so good to be able to make it there for an hour or so. My right side is out for now. I just couldn't find a comfortable way to do it. I'll stick to the left for a while and be happy about it!
 
Well, two days in a row, I should have known would be too much. Between my 6 hour outing Tuesday and my busy house and yard work yesterday, last night was a bad one. And so is today. It's not extreme pain, it's just very uncomfortable to walk or move it too much. I got cold last night and it took a long time for me to finally warm up this morning. I day of rest in between active days is a must. At least for a while anyway. I was going to try 3 revolutions on my bike today, but I think that will wait until tomorrow! As will spraying vinegar on the grass and weeds in the walkway. That can wait a day, too. That's enough complaining! We had been told about the ODIC, so I've no excuse, except I didn't think I was hurting myself. I am still much stronger and the pain isn't as intense as last week. And, just think, next week we'll all even be that much better!
 
Oh, ya. I did the same as you did. Today I am skipping the PT exercises at home and will tell the PT to back off some. I am glad a long weekend is coming where I can just veg out. Curl up with your kitties.
 
My 20 year old is on my lap right now keeping me warmer! Even the good knee is bad today! I guess it was jealous.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom