Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@sistersinhim Im just in awe and amazed at how well you are doing not even 2 weeks in. I would like to understand better how you knew your bacteria was off? So glad you were able to get into the shower by yourself.
 
I'm going to call my os's pa on Monday and ask if I can at least start the probiotics back up. They really helped in the past to keep the IBS away
 
@dianehelen I was showing signs of a yeast infection. That's why I said 'ladies' in my question. I have had one only one time before years ago, but I remember the slight burning.
 
No, IBS is irritable bowel syndrome. With me not eating a lot of veggies like I normally do and on opinoids, my stomach is messed up. The probiotics help with that, too.
 
I always take a probiotic when on antibiotics now. I have heard yogurt can help, as long as it has live cultures as I understand it, but I think the actual pill form is much better. I hadn't hear you can't take them while taking aspirin-that's a new one. But, my stomach was a mess a while back-I think it was after I got the infection that started in my tooth and spread to my entire body. I was on long term heavy-duty antibiotics, plus some pain meds (not narcotic ones) for a long time also, plus some other meds I forget. They were too much for my stomach and I had to stop the pain meds totally and take probiotics and some stomach meds to fix the mess. The probiotics really did the trick.
 
Ughhh does not sound very pleasant at all. I hope you get some relief. Im still a bit confused. Are you saying you have IBS and a yeast infection? They are not the same thing are they?
 
I have had IBS attacks in the past. Not since I started the probiotics, though. A yeast infection is a totally different thing. I didn't know that the probiotics would help with that, too. That's why I want to get back on them as soon as I can mainly as a preventative measure. All in all I am doing very well. I just want to sleep all the time! And we have been warned about this. I'm glad I am sleeping. When I'm sleeping, I'm healing even more! Now, to get these staples out. I want them out, but I'm afraid of the pain involved, too! But, I know I'll feel much less pulling when those things are out of there, all 35 of them! I might have to triple up on my medicine right before they come out!
 
Oh, well sounds like good news and so so news, but mostly good. I hope you get the ibs stuff resolved.

What I can tell you about staple removal, is from my most recent surgery, brain surgery. I had 20 staples in my head and was deathly afraid of their removal. I took 2 xanax and a percoset before I went, and cried the whole trip there to my husband. We got the the dr office, and the PA came in, and all 20 staples came out, and I barely felt it. Only one or two were a tiny tad sticky. I worked myself up over the darn staples to almost the point of hysteria, and it turned out to be a big nothing. Im hoping this will be your experience too. Once they were out, my comfort level went up. It still took me a few weeks before I could lay my head down , not on the side, but it did make a difference.
 
For clarification- at 2wks out from surgery- I wouldn't have walked down one shallow step to get into the yard. Even if it was a breezy 70*s out!! It was all I could do to get to the powder room and freezer where my ice packs were!!

When you're sitting there at 2wks you think you'll never get going free of pain again. But 4wks out from where you are now will make such a huge difference! I can't imagine how great we'll feel at 5 mos. I can't wait-!!

Hope your tummy gets to feeling better soon!
 
I am hoping and praying you have an easy staple removal. My experience was no fun as I had already scabbed over most of them and I had a really hard time getting through it. I had a very gentle woman who removed them, she was so careful, gave me time to breathe, or stopped to let me try to relax and overall did the job as easily as was possible, considering. According to my OS I heal really quickly, so that was the problem I guess. But most people don't have that difficult a time, plus I am overly sensitive to pain when I've had a recent surgery. I guess I just reach my pain threshold. (nice way of saying I'm a big baby...lol) If you need to sleep-then sleep away. Your body will tell you very clearly what it needs. You really are doing well and I am happy for you.
 
Lucky me- I didn't hardly feel a thing when my 56 staples came out. Maybe the slightest ever little pinch feeling- twice? Nothing that left me afraid for her to take the next one out! And I'm the WORST baby when it comes to pain!!

You'll rejoice the rest of the day that they're out!

:tada:
 
It will come in time that the walker will start no longer be needed. Showers are always the best but if you want to use some wipes for the other times I used baby wipes with aloe. They're very gentle on your skin.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
. Oh, and I made the alcohol/water ones that I got the recipe for on here. They sweat so bad that everything gets wet. I wrapped them in a bath towel and even that got wet all the way through. @newlybionic I hadn't thought of the c
I had the same experience with them, and I made many of them before surgery. They were messy.
 
Once again good information for me here. I am also worried about my 30 some staples coming out this Tuesday. I cut the mushy ice bags in half and they work a little better with a bath towel. Could it be Florida humidity at work? Hang in there, Paula. We will get through this together.
 
@Floridagal Don't get worried about the staples coming out. The most you will feel is a little bit of stinging from an occasional staple. Afterwards I felt like I could move my knee much easier.
 
My experience with the staples was almost exactly the same as @lovetocookandsew, but I'll bet yours will be fine, most people's are, and once they are gone it's much better. You are doing great by the way.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I'm not sure when my staples will be taken out. They are pulling when I move so I know my knee will feel much better when it's done. There were a few hours last night that I couldn't get comfortable. I tried everything I could think of to minimize my pain, even a pillow between my legs and then laying on my side. Be mistake! I'll wait a while before I try that again. Anyway, after trying different things that wouldn't work, I just got up and started walking. That did the trick! My pain was eased right away and was I able to finally get back to sleep. And talking about sleeping...that's all I want to do and do, do! I'm napping at least 5 times a day. Is this much sleeping normal? Last week was nothing like this week has been for sleeping. I'd nap maybe twice a day last week, not so little this week! My pain levels have been about the same with mostly a stinging, burning sensation. My first couple of steps are really painful, but after that the knee eases off some. But, not the burning. Just to touch the skin burns.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom