TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

@Josephine, is there a safer anti-inflammatory out there? I am trying really hard to get off of Diclofenac and after a few days my pain over many of my joints is at least a 5 at movement. Tylenol isn't helping but just a little bit. I don't want to exist on Tramadol. Of course, the doctor won't let me, anyway! I've been taking Turmeric with Curcumin for months and it doesn't really help.

The side effects of Diclofenac are scary, including heart problems, and I want off. But, I need help for my joints.
 
is there a safer anti-inflammatory out there?
I'm sorry to say there isn't.
Tylenol isn't helping but just a little bit.
It always depends upon how much you are taking and how often. I found on many occasions that when US members that that, it turns out they are only taking 1 regular Tylenol 2-3 times a day which is not an effective dose. For full effect, you need to take 1,000mg 4 times a day.
 
Thank you for your answer. I'm going to have to get off of the Diclofenac and on the Tylenol!
 
hi sistersinhim ~ were you as excited as i was to get that wonderful box at your door with the label, Lounge Doctor? i really love mine, wish i had paid more attention to others that mentioned it in the beginning. i'm not sure if it reduces my swelling or not ~ my swelling always looks the same ~ but it sure does feel good. i'm only using it in bed at night and on the weekend but hard to use in the day while wrangling Chloe and Liam. i hope you love it and it helps with the swelling. the brochure it comes with says it's good for anyone to use after a day's work, not just knee replacement patients. i took the brochure in to show my physiotherapist.
 
It seems to be reducing my swelling. I miss-stepped Sunday and the foot pain escalated yesterday, along with the ankle joint. But, the fibular is still fine! I rested on my Lounge Doctor most all day and the pain and swelling were mostly gone last night! This morning everything is better still. My new knee is still complaining, though. I blame it on my ankle brace and walking shoe. One day things will get back to normal. I just need patience! (Hate the word!)
 
Keeping the swelling under control is so important, which means you MUST keep using your Lounge Doctor--or whatever elevation does the trick. Staying off your foot and ankle as much as possible will help you heal faster and better. I still use my Lounge Doctor nightly. It's the only thing my left knee will tolerate without complaining for a good night's sleep! I'm starting to wonder if I've spoiled that knee and it will want the Lounge Doctor forever. :chinstroke:
 
Good Sunday morning. After waiting for at least a year, I was finally able to go back to my favorite biking trail yesterday. It's a rails-to-trails that is pretty flat. I rode a little over 7 miles! I wore my foot boot the whole time, and made out OK. The foot is a little more swollen than it has been, but the knee finally feels great! Again, it wants to be used!
 
Good for you Paula! Rails to Trails are so great for bikers. 7 miles is spectacular for first time out on the trail. It must feel great to slowly get back to your fave activities. Now don't go hog wild . . . . no Century rides for at least a few more months :bicycle1:
 
I had ridden this train many times in the past, but was unable last year because of the tkr. Something always came up this spring and we couldn't go, then the fall and injuries. It felt so good to get back to it. It's a beautiful spot, but almost 2 hours away, so it's an all day activity. Here I am on the railroad crossing bridge that was converted.

[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience
 
Great picture! Cool looking bike as well - that's a nice trail. I'll bet it's busy, particularly on the weekends.
 
What wonderful news Paula! I know how badly you have wanted to get back out there. I love the picture, thanks for sharing.
 
We got out there by 10am and there were very few people going out. Coming back it was pretty crowded. My bike is a low entry Diamondback. I looked for a low entry bike for years because of my knees. I finally found this one about 4 years ago. Now, you can find them all over! I highly recommend a low entry bikes for knee replacements people. It makes it so much easier to get on and off of it.
 
just catching up on your thread as i saw your new avatar. you look great with your fancy bike and big smile. that is wonderful you can ride your bike again. does a train take you to the bike trails? what a super idea. where we vacation, there is the Millennium Trail in Prince Edward County, Ontario, 49 km. of trails on the former railway which has been turned into a multi-purpose trail passing through small towns, farmers' fields, marshes, creeks and forests. i'm looking forward to get back on my bike one of these days.
 
@liam2015, no we drive and park right across from one of 6 entrances. There are no railways left. We just hop on our bikes and go! The whole trail is about 50 miles long. There is no way I can do that in one day! I'm a casual rider who likes to enjoy the scenery!

I was so afraid the foot wouldn't let me do much of it, but with that 'broken-foot shoe' it did fine, just a little extra swelling. I even rode 3.5 miles yesterday evening around my neighborhood. It's such a blessing to get back to doing the things I love to do! And now my new knee is not nearly as sore! Strange how it wants to be used! Before the surgery I never would have been able to do this much riding without awful arthritis pain!
 
i am so happy for you sistersinhim. you've come a long way since that unfortunate accident when you broke your foot and ankle so soon after your knee replacement. way to go.:yes:
 
I just got caught up on your thread Paula and can't believe you weren't told about the two, broken bones in your foot! Good grief, what a huge oversight! Can't blame you a bit for going elsewhere when you get the second knee done.

Wow, look at you riding that beautiful bike, despite the foot! Huzzah! I love the color of your bike; snazzy! Glad to hear the foot only experienced minor swelling afterwards and now you have the LD to help with that.
 
Paula - Good for you! It must have felt wonderful to ride and feel that breeze on your face! You and your bike look like a happy pair! I'm glad your foot boot and your new knee cooperated.
 
Look at you on your bike! So happy! And yes, our new knees love to be used. The muscles rejoice in their liberation. Almost makes a body feel young again. Hope you continue to enjoy more and longer rides around your neighborhood. :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom