TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I hope your foot pain settles, Paula, but if it doesn't, do go and see a doctor about it.

It sounds to me as if you overdid it big-time when moving stuff off your driveway and that could have been the cause of the foot pain. I hope that's all it is. :loveshwr:
 
A lot of this sounds like ODIC, but I can hear you thinking, "Good grief! How long is it gonna take!" In spite of the serious aches and pains, you are reporting great progress, too. The thought of sitting in a kayak even now is incomprehensible for me. That you are able to do that and get out in the shallower water is a huge milestone achievement.

I'm glad the biking helped things feel better for a while. Despite the significant increase in pain, you do seem to be recovering fairly quickly after each time. I think it's that you've been so very active over these last couple weeks (I know, so many things to do!) that has made it tougher for you. Some of it is getting all the muscles and tendons used to being used again. For instance, I'm absolutely certain you use your legs kayaking a lot more than you realize. Some of it is also the number of injuries you're recovering from simultaneously.

Praying you find relief soon, though.
 
i'm going to have to look up your camper vehicle. i hope we can travel more in the future and will have to include our dog, so some kind of camper vehicle would be great; also for our bicycles. those trails sound amazing.
 
I spent the whole day in my recliner until about 3:30, then went out and cut the grass with the riding mower. I feel much better now! It must have been ODIC attacking the most vulnerable area on my foot.

We all need to pray that Irma stays away from everybody. I'm praying that it turns north, heads up into the cold water and breaks apart.
 
I'm glad you had a great trip and have recovered quickly from the weekend!

I read often that after all your knee surgeries you did not go to PT. Did you have your surgeon's approval for that? If not, how did you handle your surgeon? If/when I have to do knee surgery again I do not want to go to PT (with this surgery I had to go to out patient PT 2 days after surgery.). But I'm not sure how to handle it if the surgeon wants me to go.
 
@Jockette ~ i just didn't go. no one phoned me as they were supposed to and i didn't pursue because i felt so sick with nausea. i saw my surgeon at 10 days and nothing was said. i didn't see him again until 6 weeks post op and he was furious with me for not going to p.t., especially since my r.o.m. was not up to par. i started p.t. just before the 6 week surgeon appt. since i was feeling better. my surgeon kept saying i would need m.u.a. but relented in the end after reaching out to colleagues at the hospital he trained in that told him i could still gain r.o.m. so long as i was gradually improving. i wasn't in a rush, didn't have a job to get back to, so i've stuck it out. i am definitely a "slow bender" but finally noticing more of an improvement. i have no idea whether it would have made any difference if i had gone to p.t. earlier, but i think i avoided a lot of pain ~ it could even have been worse for me. btw, i asked exactly the same question to someone here about handling the surgeon...lol!
 
@Jokette, I had 11 knee surgeries through the years and never did PT. I was and am divorced and took care of myself, house, yard and rescued cats. Doing all these daily activities rehabbed my knee each and every time. I never said a thing to any of my OSs. My tkr OS gave me a prescription for PT, but I just through it away. I knew what to do and what works. When I went to my post surgery checkups, my OS was happy with my results and never said a word about me not going. It's my knees and I am in control of what happens to them. I hired my OS to work for me. Not the other way around.

Any PT also works for the one who is the customer. The customer pays the bills for the PT, whether through insurance premiums or cash. PT works for the patient, not the other way around. When you tell them to not do something, they are legally required to not do it. Otherwise, it's assault. Many on here have really good therapists, and are blessed. But, there are also many that do not. Those patients need to find another PT that agrees with the Bonesmart way.

If you have anymore questions about no-PT, I'll be glad to tell you more about it.
 
I also did no PT after my last TKR and I have made a good recovery, with just the normal activities of daily living.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I followed the above regime for the first two knee replacements. I knew what exercises to do, and how much to exercise, so I didn't bother going to PT at all. In fact, I did very few exercises, but just let daily living be my exercise.

Most surgeons are happy to see good results and I don't think they quiz you about what happens at PT. I don't really see any need to raise the subject with them, unless you want a lecture.
 
Thanks to all who posted about not going to PT! I'm so glad I found Bonesmart.

@sistersinhim
My PT's were all very nice and caring, but they did push my knee at every visit except the first 2, which were just 2 and 4 days post op. The first time he forced it was 1 week post op. I had a death grip on the table. I didn't expect it.

My surgeon also pushes on my knee every visit. At my 18 week check up it hurt more than any of the other times. And, the measurement, 124, was 4 degrees less than it had been at my previous visit 8 weeks earlier. He seemed to be concerned. Seriously? Those are good numbers for 10 and 18 weeks post op, aren't they, even if I couldn't do it myself. Doesn't it prove I have good potential for getting that myself in the future?
 
Last edited:
@Josephine, on post #1934 in my thread you put a foot diagram on it. That's where I got the reference.
 
Oops! Forgot all about that one!

So like this then?
[Bonesmart.org] No Kneecap and a TKR Experience


Could be a number of things: arthritis and/or tendinitis for instance.
 
Yes, that's exactly where the bad pain is. I bet it's tendonitis. I don't remember having this awful pain before my breaks. Thank you, Josephine. I guess the only cure is ice and rest!
 
My foot and ankle aren't right yet, so I'm off to the OS this afternoon for a checkup. I'll let you know what I find out. Thank God my knee is holding it's own. It's not painfree, but so much better than before the tkr! I'm still cautious with my walking since at times it wants to hyber-extend. I hope it's just muscle related.
 
I hope things go well for you, I'm so sorry broke your foot. Like knee replacement recovery isn't bad enough! Sending a hug.
 
Last edited:
I hope you get some answers at your doc visit. I've had awful pain in that area before, particularly after a very bad ankle sprain. (I tell people I fell off the Great Wall of China. Actually I just placed my foot too far forward on one of the tiny steps and made quite a spectacle of myself in a huge crowd of people.) Anyway, my foot would hurt like heck and also feel like something was snapping in there, or like something was caught up and impinged. My doc thought tendonitis but didn't offer any new solutions other than rest. I feel for you!
 
I just got back in from my OS. The bones are healed, but I have tendonitis. Just like Josephine thought! I asked for Tramadol and he said no. They even have the doctors afraid of that, now. What a shame. He said to ice and wrap it, if I feel like it. I'm just glad that it's not the bones and just the soft tissues. Isn't it funny how much longer the soft tissues take to heal than the bones! Wow, who would have thought it! Not me, until BoneSmart taught me that.

I should be fine to go on vacation next week. I'll just have to take my Diclofenac while I'm gone and get back off of it when I get back and can rest. I know it's bad for my heart, but not exercising is bad for my heart, too!
 
It's wonderful that your bones have healed. I, too, would have had no idea that the soft tissues take longer to heal than bones before Bonesmart. Have a wonderful time on vacation, but do take good care. Can't wait to hear about all the great fun you had.
 
I'm glad it's "just" soft tissue. Amazing how much they can hurt!

Enjoy your vacation!
 
Yes, and I even get zingers in the fibular. I never expected that! I thought that was just a tkr thing! Wow. I wonder how long this is going to take.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom