Guest viewing is limited

TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Wonderful, Paula! I'm glad your foot is allowing your knee to be happy! :friends:
 
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I love the support we give each other on this site!
 
Thank you for asking @jaschembra. I still have right much foot pain, but am doing much better than I was. I can't walk as much as I would like, but am riding my bike when it's not so hot out. The knee is still not back to where it was before the fall and that has me concerned some. The good thing is that I can do things now that I couldn't do before the surgery.

I have to let my bones and soft tissues heal from my fall before I can really enjoy hiking again. I'm going camping the end of the month, and that usually always includes lots of hiking in the woods. I pray the injured parts are up to it!
 
Another update on my journey. I'm having my driveway, carport and walkway paved next month. Marilyn and I had a tractor each in the carport that weren't running so we gave them to her boyfriend Mike. We had to pull and push a camper out of the way and all sorts of other farm-type odds and ends out of the carport. Friday, I was alone, having to move lots of heavy stuff and joined in helping Mike and Marilyn on Saturday. She and I finally finished cleaning up out there Saturday night. Saturday night was rough and I woke up Sunday morning barely able to walk. The foot was really bad, and the new knee on the medial side was very uncomfortable. I took a Tramadol and Tylenol combo to get through church and shopping.

This morning, Monday, stepping on the foot was really painful, even worse. But, thank God the knee is feeling some better. I'm trying stretches for the foot and am back on Diclofenac and Tylenol. My Tramadol is getting low, so I called and asked for another call-in prescription. We are planning on going camping Thursday-Saturday night. While gone there will be lots of hiking. If my foot's not better it will be miserable for me. But, I can't not do it. Marilyn and I missed so much last summer with my tkr and now this injury is holding me back this summer. I can't mess up her time off again. Please add me, and our trip to your prayers and ask that my foot and knee gets better and that we can have a good time this weekend.

At least I can ride my bike now, so all's not bad!!
 
oh dear sistersinhim...sending prayers that your foot and knee improves enough that you can enjoy your upcoming camping trip. until then, please take it easy and look after yourself.
 
Rest that foot this week, hopefully that'll help and you can enjoy the weekend.
 
Hi Paula! I am happy the knee held up with your workout last Saturday and I hope the ankle mellows out for your trip. Do you have anything to support the foot/ankle so you can hike? I used to have a pull on elastic bandage type support that helped with mine. I head out camping Thursday too so ENJOY!!
 
Paula, I pray that your foot and ankle are getting better and getting ready for the weekend. Please remember that you don't have to go on every hike, you may need to stay at the camp and rest sometimes. Take a good book and enjoy nature. I really hope it ends up being a wonderful trip.
 
Paula, Enjoy your camping trip but please take care. You may need to forego the hiking and give your foot a break but you can still have a great time!
 
I went camping this past weekend, though because of the effects of Harvey stayed only one night. We did get in over an hour of kayaking on Thursday, the longest ever! And I was able to get out of the boat in only mid-calf water. Another first! Before my surgery I could only get out in mid-thigh water! But, that night my new knee was awful. I had at least a 6 level of pain off and on. I'm wondering if it was because the bed mattress is only about 2" thick and the bed is really hard. I'm used to much more support and softness. Or maybe I used my legs more in rowing than I realized. What ever it was, my pain was back to about a 4 or 5 month pain.

Friday morning we hiked only about 2 1/2 miles and then the rain came. My foot was sore the next day, but not bad. Then comes Sunday afternoon and geocaching. I wore shoes that I don't usually wear. That was a big no no. My ankle bone and foot were screaming this morning when I put weight on them. Back to Tylenol/Tramadol again. Marilyn wanted to go bike riding on a rails-to-trails site, and I didn't want to tell her how bad I felt, so I reluctantly agreed. The first few revolutions were really painful on my foot. But, soon all the pain was gone! The peddling had worked it out!

The new knee started hurting where the patella tendon is attached to the quad after about 6 miles and is still 'touchy' now. I'm thinking after a good night's sleep it will be fine in the morning, along with my foot and ankle. Well, I pray so, anyway!
 
that sounds like fun. too bad your trip got cut short. do you sleep in a tent or a camper van? next time you'll know to wear more appropriate shoes but you did it. hopefully everything will calm down in the morning.
 
I'm sorry Harvey cut things short, but kayaking is so much fun! I haven't done it in a long time! Hopefully this morning you're not sore.
 
@Josephine, I am having a lot of foot pain on the medial side. The areas are 5&6 B&C. Do you have any suggestions as to what this could be? I could barely walk on it this morning. Bummer.
 
Oh no. I was so happy to read about you kayaking and hiking, and having so much fun. Maybe too much fun? I hope your pain is only courtesy of the ODIC. Rowing or paddling does put a lot of stress on the knees and legs. Hope you get your knee and foot to calm down soon!
 
I'm glad you got out to do something you enjoy but so sorry that you are paying a price for it today. I hope some icing and elevation is helping or that you get to see your Doc!
 
Last edited:
I'm glad you were able to go on your trip Paula. You were super woman doing all those things. Sounds like you need a week of complete rest to recover. Have you ever had more than a standard xray of the foot? I know I had mentioned a month or so ago, standard xray did not show my podiatrist my stress fractures, but a scan (think it was mri) did show my OS two stress fractures in my foot. Continued pain in the foot seems like it may need to be checked out again. Hate to be a downer post.

But... that was fantastic you could get into the kayak in shallower water!! Yeah!!!
:kayak:
 
@liam2015, I have a 13' Scamp. It's a total fiberglass self-contained camper. I looked for one for years and finally found one that was less than a year old and $3000 cheaper than a new one! I also have a Jayco popup, but it's not good setting up or down in the rain. If my knee and foot do OK, Marilyn and I will pull the popup to Grindstone National Park and bike ride on the Virginia Creeper Trail the end of the month. It's another one of those rails-to-trails that I love so much.

@jaschembra, my OS won't renew my Tramadol, so I assume I need to find a new doctor. The foot is some better now. Sometimes when I step on it, it feels like it's a awful cramp on the whole median side down to the lateral ankle. I didn't realize it would take so long to get it back to normal. I guess I need to read up on this injuries some more. At least my knee is better today!
 
I can't remember what my pain areas were. I remember I could walk on it but it was just a constant pain when walking. It was a long time ago. I was 8 weeks non weight bearing. Bummer on the Tramadol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom