Newbie saying hello and asking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet I believe my left hip is more worn than my right but only recently started to give me trouble. I'm not sure I could cope with having them done together, I'm not that brave :sigh: xx
 
There are advantages to having bilateral THRs but it is really up to your surgeon to advise you.. I also have to have the other hip done at sone stage.. and looking back with my crystal ball I wish I had been in the position general health wise (and emotionally ) to get them done at the same time... But one thing we can't do in life is turn back the clock :)
 
I know it's not rocket science that you gain weight from lack of exercise but its so hard to keep active when your in pain. I seemed to have gained about 2 st ( not sure how many kilo's that is, dread to think) since by body fell apart. I've given myself a good talking to today and decided that I need to lose weight before my surgery :dancy:
 
Hi Red Shoe it sounds like you are having a really hard time of it and I can really relate to the being kept awake by the pain at night!! :groan: I had my right hip replaced mid March and will be back in mid June to get a matching pair!! :happydance: My new hip is wonderful, no nagging pain, no sharp stabbing pain just a little reminder every so often that 'it's new and needs a little TLC'. My other hip though has got so much worse since my surgery and last night I tossed and turned in bed because nothing would lessen the pain!! My surgeon had warned me that both hips were bad and he even gave me the choice of which to do first, we knew I'd be back quite quickly for the second. I know it's a very scary procedure and even I am nervous going back in but I also know that I will be so much better and will have lost the pain and gained so much more range of movement. Keep posting and let us know how your world is progressing. :):)
 
I'm not sure I could cope with having them done together, I'm not that brave
If I had the choice I would have had the bilateral because my recovery from the first op was held back by the painful hip that still needed doing. All the pain meds were for the bad hip. Now I have had both done I can start to recover properly and maybe shift the weight now I am more mobile.
 
What lovely people you are and it sounds as if you've all been through so much. My work commitments will probably have an impact on my decision. It seems like winter will be busy time for me so perhaps getting the two done together may be an option. I've developed a new type of pain since yesterday and its knocked me off my feet a bit. I have the constant throb and the groin pain as soon as I walk but now have a pain deep in my pelvis. It radiates to my back and not pleasant :-( Funny, never thought I would feel old before my time but encouraged by all your success stories. Keep them coming peeps, it's so encouraging :-) xx
 
Hi redshoe! Found your thread & popped on to say hello! Fab night tonight, really looking forward to seeing you again next month? I'm so glad you found this sites helpful, it Certainly made a huge difference to my recovery, as you saw earlier. your welcome to pop over to my thread! :umm: :rolleyes:
Now, snuggle down into that duvet, try & relax & let the very pleasant evening wash over you & sleeeeeeep! :sleep: :zzz:
Only you can decide whats best or you surgery wise, but I'm here or you, all the way my friend. :friends:
 
I had days when the old hag was quiet & I questioned then the wisdom of going through with such a major op. luckily, I've been sooo lucky with my recovery that I've not regretted one single moment, though I do still have pain & stiffness, but not that awful bone on bone grinding that bonesmarties know so well! :groan:
You were right about the plantar fasciitis in my right heel, I've got some cushion pads & physio exercises so that may help! :yikes:
Will see you on 21st & look forward to hearing that beautiful voice of yours! :puppysmooze:
Take care my friend! Big hugs & Kev sends his love too :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
jetthugger it's really strange but My hips given me a day off today. I can't help feeling it will want paying double time tomorrow :scratch: see you soon sweet lass xx
 
Your life will be so much better without all that pain ! Getting my hip replaced was such a blessing. Don't wait longer than you have to. If you can get surgery done sooner, I would. You can enjoy your vacation so much morewith your new hip!! Good luck to you!
 
Thank you Texas Girl, I'm seeing my consultant on the 21 st of June now instead of September . I've had a bad day with my hip today, I thought it was too good to be true. I saw my physiotherapist today who is really pleased with my progress on my left knee though. I've been working hard trying to build up my quad muscles and strengthen the leg as much as I can. They won't operate on my hip until my other leg can bare weight properly. I can now walk without my brace though so all is looking good :) x
 
A British medical journal have just released information on a study of surgery done over weekends. Apparently, the risk of mortality and complications is higher if you have operations done over the Saturday and Sunday.Thats it then, I'm having mine done on a Wednesday ! :yikes:
 
Red Shoe uh oh don't tell Littlejem !!!!!!!!!!! She had her first on a Saturday! I have this feeling that US surgeons play golf on the weekends... LOL
You are bearing up so well, and how lovely to have a built-in regular audience/fan club! Go get that MRI, and maybe pester your consultant's scheduler to get an even earlier date for first visit? I'm not all that familiar with NHS, probably what I say is an impossibility, sigh.
 
zauberflöte and Littlejem, my sister works at our main city hospital and works on statistics within the NHS. She's things this study hasn't taken into account specialist hospitals such as orthopaedic . They use all the main hospitals that have emergency departments to do the study. She also deals with mortality rates and my hospital comes out ok, phew ! :) I went to see my physiotherapist today about my leg and she was really pleased with me. I've been working my socks off to build up my quad muscles so that I can have my hip done. She did get me trying a bike out though and it wasn't until I screamed that she thought it may not be a good idea :groan: The earliest appointment I can get with my hip surgeon is the 21st of June, and if he says he can operate on a Saturday then I will jump at the chance :happydance: The pains been unbearable tonight but I don't have to tell you lovely peeps how it is xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom