Guest viewing is limited

THR newbie hipster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning! had a great visit with my doc and got to take a gander at what my new hip looks like - screw and all. freaky a little that, that is what's inside me. he said I am healing as good as anyone can be. lifted all restrictions but 2 more months before I can regain a true "fitness" routine. like spin class, or anything too rigorous. but he does want me to start peddling standing on the bike and keep up the cardo. he also gave me a green light to ease back into yoga. he said I really need to work on stretching my hip flexor and as he was showing me a stretch he said, well I guess this is like "warrior 2" - so in the same breathe that he said NO to yoga he said YES! he said listen to my body and do what feels good. i'm traveling for work this week, which is nerve wracking too. I have to fly -- what happens at security??? :what: lol going to a trade show and will be a lot of walking and on my feet time. but the upside is i'll be in Colorado, at a beautiful resort with a hot tub! just feeling back to myself. all my misc aches and pains (because I have them) eb and flow ... doctor said the more I stretch that hip the better everything else will get. even my limp is much better. SO here's to week 6 and looking forward to week 7. (BarbaraR Annie's designergirl ) how's everyone else?? off to my son's 7th birthday party today at a roller rink, I will not be skating :rotfl:
 
keepridingforward, what happens at security (I flew Wednesday and Friday.) is...NOTHING. I told the TSA agent I had an artificial hip, they directed me into the round machine (where you put your hands on top of your head) and that was that. No big deal at all. I'm so glad you're doing so well!
 
keepridingforward, only an hour. It was Southwest and the seats were really uncomfortable. I folded up my coat and sat on it to get some extra padding. Also, I worked today, and I am really hurting. I'm glad I went, but it was a bit much. Where in Colorado are you going? My sister lives in Boulder-- we will be there Memorial Day weekend. Happy birthday to your son!
 
Thank you BarbaraR if I can survive a skating party with a dozen 6&7 year olds I'm good!! I'm going to Aspen via Denver so my travel is split up but long. I'm also going for a conference /trade show deal and that's a lot of on my feet time. I'm packing ice bags, heating pad and new boots that have a super comfy "Nike" foot bed !! I Love boulder, Colorado is such a special place.
 
keepridingforward BarbaraR Great news report! I took a 2+ hour flight this week to Sanibel, and all the sitting really aggravated my already aggravated glute...but what REALLY aggravated it was all the bending over for the fabulous shells we found! I am hurting and icing today, but it was so worth it! Security was no big deal, except for one amusingly surly agent who, after going through the machine asked me what I had in my back right pocket...after I'd already told her there was an artificial hip in there! She patted down the whole area and then made me get my hands tested for chemical traces of explosives! But apparently I passed because I'm now home resting in my recliner and planning on taking it easy for a few more weeks! So glad you got the yoga go ahead! Keep us posted
 
Annie's and keepridingforward, I have 2 words for you: arda chandrasana!! My PT told me it would help my hip to practice that pose, and wow, I am so excited. Before surgery, for years actually, I'd have to turn my left foot in to open my right hip enough just to stay balanced. Today: totally straight. Hope y'all are both doing well.
 
BarbaraR. Ah - a great personal favorite! And now that I think of it, one of the few that is perfectly comfortable now! Nice to know it is PT approved! LOVE getting your feedback on yoga...please let me know any other suggestions you get from your PT...I am staying out one more week, and then going back to a very gentle class...which is what I should have done in the first place! Barbara, are you having any issues with your other hip? Mine is really twinging off and on.
 
Annie's, I will let you know. I think I'm going to start back with some private lessons from an Iyengar teacher I know. As for my other hip, it's fine, but I do sometimes have popping and a few twinges which I'm attributing to general deconditioning.
 
hi BarbaraR & Annie's - wow where has the time gone!! sorry I've been so out of the loop the last couple of weeks. 8 weeks + and feeling really good. Stiff but finally seem to be losing my LIMP, except when i wake up sore in other places (knee, inner thigh etc) wondering if my legs are aligning again though. I made it through 4 plane flights a super busy trade show week, with lots of walking, talking & work. I even had a late night with some dancing, I think I was dancing :heehee: anyway - I have been back to 2 yoga classes. I got to Hot Yoga, it's a birkham (sp?) style. 50 poses in 90 mins, lots of holding. it's hard but easier than vinayssa bc at this point there is no way I could do a "flow". we work on a lot of balance in my hot class, I def can not do pigeon or triangle on my left side. so we are working on modifications. slowed down my Physical Therapy to once a week. my PT gave me a lot of stretches to stretch out the hip flexor and also agrees that if I go to yoga 2x a week i'll be good to go. working on getting a bicycle as well. Over all i'm getting very positive feed back and people even looked at me funny while I was away when I told them I had just had my hip replaced. KEEP MOVING forward has totally worked. Besides, i'm ever running at home with my son and his multiple spring activities - no choice. hope you all are well xxx lots of love. very thankful for everyone's feed back always!! Jen
 
keepridingforward Jen, I'm SO happy that you're doing so well! Hot yoga is a great idea--my experience with bikram style classes is that the teachers are pretty hard core--I'm glad you found one who will work with you on modifications. Have a great spring! XO
 
I love it when I read that a member has been able to return to an activity, albeit perhaps modified... Good for the soul :)
 
Poppet that's what it's all about right now - my yoga teach said even if you come in here and sit most of the class just come join! it's nice to start feeling "normal" again ;) thank you!!
 
Absolutely, a THR is all about providing quality of life without the pain.. even sitting there you are getting the happy endorphins :)
 
keepridingforward, I'm doing great. I am back at work full time as of next week, and it's a good thing I'm doing so well because my husband is having back surgery on May 3rd, so I'll have to cast off my role as patient and become his caregiver like it or not! I'm not limping at all, but I do have to remind myself heel toe heel toe sometimes. Walking feels miraculously fluid and even to me--I can't remember the last time I felt that--probably 10 years. I have a private yoga session scheduled with an Iyengar teacher next week, and then I think I'm going to try some static pose classes. I can't do vinyasa yet--the front of my right thigh still really hurts when I lift my leg, which makes it impossible to go from downward dog to a lunge. Thanks for the hot yoga suggestion. I stopped PT as of last Tuesday--I was really getting bored with it, and I felt like there was no end game. (My insurance is paying 100% at this point so I was suspicious of the need for more and more visits frankly.) However, I did go back to the gym Wednesday and did maybe 1/3 of what I was doing before surgery and ended up spending the afternoon lying down with an ice pack on my hip. Aaaargh!! I think that the most amazing thing is that I now go long stretches of the day without thinking about my hip. I can't remember when that last happened either. Thanks for asking! XO
 
Fantastic update... Starting to forget you have a THR is very good :)

Do remember to take care of yourself though whilst caring for your husband, you are still very much in the recovery phase yourself :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom