THR newbie hipster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually started last night on my non-operated side with a full body pillow between my legs. It felt fine. The hospital staff said I could at any time as long as I had a pillow between my legs.
 
yes, I sleep like that now too. it works just wondering when we're allowed to make the flip to the operated side. am I throwing the cart before the horse?? LOL designergirl
 
They told me as long as it isn't painful and you have a pillow between the legs, I could do it when I wanted. The pillow to separate the legs is key.
 
They told me as long as it isn't painful and you have a pillow between the legs, I could do it when I wanted. The pillow to separate the legs is key.

This is exactly right designergirl. The pillow is needed so that you do not drop that leg to the bed in your sleep. The key is does the area feel OK when you are sleeping on it. Most hippies have to wait awhile as the area is still tender. Give it a try and if you don't feel comfortable wait a bit and try again.
 
At this point I don't exactly remember when I started lying on my operated hip, but it was probably later than where you're at now. The reason I wanted to lay on my left side is that my right shoulder would get sore. I have a firm mattress, so I added a 2" memory foam pad, which helped a lot.
 
thanks BarbaraR how are you feeling?? I visited with my yoga instructor today - spent some alone time in her hot studio and it was amazing. in a few weeks I hope to go sit in on her hot hour class and just do, some or even nothing much. I think I need that release. her mom also broke her hip and is a month ahead of me on the replacement charts. so she's tuned in. Annie's what were some of the first poses you were able to do? what's great about her hot class, there's no flow - its a lot of core and balance so there should be plenty I can do if not just sitting in stick pose felt good today.
 
Hi keepridingforward, I'm doing well, thanks. Good for you for going to yoga, I'm kind of afraid to just yet. I do some poses at home, but I'm still in PT and feel like there's still more weakness and lack of mobility than I'm comfortable with. It s great that you have an instructor with experience. I think I'm going to have to seek that out.
 
BarbaraR - I just needed that moment :) as you can see in my new profile pix. i'm fortunate that she's so loving and let me come in, between classes and have the room to myself. I don't go back to the dr for another week & a 1/2. totally anxious to see what he says I can and can not do as far as mobility and which way I can move. I def don't and won't push it. for me my end goal is next winter and getting back on my snowboard, it's my lively hood and my life! but between now and then i'm trying anything I can to get this head clear & stay strong. SOO hard, some days and other days not so much!
 
keepridingforward. Hooray! Just going is so encouraging, isn't it! After just a few weeks, I started very gentle versions of child's pose, downward dog, tree pose, standing and seated forward bends, happy baby pose and some balance poses like warrior 3 and dancer's pose, always careful to not stand on the operative leg...and after 3 months, was back to crow and side crow, and all the warrior and triangle variations...what did me in WAS the flow aspect...in my one class we are constantly moving from dog to some variation of a lunge, which requires you to bring that leg forward, and then lift your torso up...it was killing that leg, but I just kept trying it, like an idiot figuring I just had to strengthen those muscles...after about a month of this, my hip was so painful, it was hurting to walk again...rather fortunately, I developed a suture abscess in my incision which forced me back to my surgeon...who said the abscess would be fine, but I needed to back off the yoga or I'd end up with a chronic problem...so back to PT, and no yoga for a month...when I go back I will listen to this hip and opt out of ANY pose that hurts...now my goal is to get back fully over the summer...
 
thanks Annie's that's good info all around - those poses make sense. and I can see how that flow can mess you up! and def with the listen to the hip, that's what we talked about a lot today.
 
Annie's and keepridingforward, thank you. This is really helpful. I've gingerly done some poses-- tree, down dog, up dog, bridge, plank-- but I've been thinking that I would want to schedule a private lesson with one of the teachers I really trust before going back to a class. Now I really think that would be the best thing for me to do.
 
BarbaraR Definitely set up a session....I had several with my teacher, and my surgeon actually went through
a yoga book with me, pose by pose, ruling out a few forever...and if I had LISTENED to both of them, things
would have gone very smoothly! I was a bit nervous with plank and side plank, but they were fine, as were bridge and wheel...let me know how it goes! The pulled muscles in my hip are responding really well to a few weeks off, so I optimistic that I'll be back in a few more weeks...gonna REALLY go slow!
 
6 weeks today! I feel like it's a major milestone. feeling better everyday, although some days I forget that. I see the doctor this coming Friday. Just wondering at what point has anyone felt was the true turning point (like magical 3 months? etc.)
 
Hi keepridingforward, I'm 7 weeks today and feel really good, too! In fact, I haven't even taken a Tylenol today! I did a lot yesterday and was really tired, still looking forward to getting my old energy back, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Glad you are well.
 
keepridingforward. BarbaraR. Congrats to you both! You are getting there - now you just need patience - my own Achilles heel! I am in Sanibel Florida with a beloved cousin. Even though I am still supposed to be babying my aggravated hip muscles, we snuck in a little yoga; just couldn't resistI. But, 'T-I-M-E is on your side, yes it is'! So hang in there!
 
I hope to go back to yoga class when a new session starts on April 16th, we have to pay in advance for a 10 week course so I did not want to overdo things earlier. Plus, I have just been too tired to go out - we are all different! My teacher works on the mantra " if it hurts -STOP! Listen to your body!
Annie's what is this "patience" - I don't have that virtue!:tada:
Happy healing
Anne
 
Nannyannie. I'm pretty sure 'patient' means 'the quality of ignoring your respected health professional's advice and doing way too much, way too soon'...I excel at it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom