THR newbie hipster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's great Annie's ! I'm sure that I have to wait until my restrictions are lifted to give it a try, but I'll let you know.
 
smrt2run, I suggest finding a certified Iyengar yoga teacher if there is one in your area. You may know about this already, but Iyengar yoga is concerned with proper positioning, and I've found that certified teachers have more knowledge of anatomy and safety than the average yoga instructor. (Not that there aren't wonderful instructors in other disciplines; I just think that Iyengar is especially safe.). Here's some information: https://iynaus.org/iyengar-yoga

You're in the NYC area? Where do you live? I'm on Long Island.
 
smrt2run. Cool! You are so young...it will be the best thing you ever do for your body or soul! I didn't start until my 40's and I am going on 20 years of practice...it has supported me through all the changes that life brings...do keep up with me and let me know how it goes!
 
BarbaraR. But you're going back, right? I practiced up to the night before my surgery, but I had so many props I looked like a yoga store! And I'm going to keep using them forever I think! And I really like your advice about the Iyengar teacher...My first 10 years I studied with Iyengar teachers, and am still so grateful that they gave me such a great foundation, even though the attention to precise alignment sometimes drove me crazy! My teacher since then is primarily Vinyasa flow, and he is not nearly as tuned into alignment...but I'm comfortable with it because of my Iyengar practice...you HAVE to go back! Please tell me when you do!
 
Annie's, I did do my home practice till right before surgery, but I haven't taken classes since September. In order to take my own advice :headbang: I will have to travel farther than I usually like, but I have good relationships wi several teachers in the area, and I do intend to start classes again when I'm cleared to do so (probably in May). A lot of the PT I'm doing has some relationship to yoga, so I try to work with breath and bandhas so I don't get out of practice. I miss vinyasa-- haven't been able to do it for a very long time.
 
BarbaraR. I'm so glad! Isn't it amazing how just about any type of physical exercise is some variation on yoga? My PT has taught several workshops jointly with my yoga teacher and I feel so lucky to have a PT who is knowledgable and comfortable with yoga...he's been wonderful about slowly bringing me along...if I had only taken his 'slow it down!' advice, I wouldn't be here at home tonight instead of in class!
 
love the discussion on yoga! BarbaraR Annie's smrt2run ~ one of the things I miss most about yoga right now is the mental release!! I do hot yoga so I also miss the sweat. meditation? has anyone tried it?
 
keepridingforward. My daughter just tried hot yoga this week and loved it...hope to try it as well once this recovery is well under way...I've been getting more immersed in the fasting and meditative aspects of yoga these last few years...yoga is just the gift that keeps on giving...the more you put into it, the more is returned back to you, a thousand fold!
 
keepridingforward. Would love to! Two of my favorites are The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh and Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. The second one might be especially salient to you; you have been through such an ordeal! But don't be put off by the title..by 'Full Catastrophe' he simply means all the experiences you are bound to face when you live life to the fullest, which obviously is your MO! The first is a very short but wonderfully sweet introduction to meditation....I turn to it constantly....my yoga teacher also has a free series of meditative podcasts on his website here which I am quite partial to:

https://www.renyoga.com

Hope one or all of these are helpful!
 
just checking in to see how everyone's week went! I can't believe I am past the four week mark. I'm still exhausted but feel better everyday. my emotions are still a bit in charge right now. next week is spring break and we had a ski vaca planed. I feel like a kid "but everyone else is going" - I can't believe at my age, I still feel left out!! my husband & son are going away to visit his mother for the week instead. which is also out west and will include skiing for them. so maybe a week home alone will do me good?? what do you think??
 
keepridingforward I think we are feeling pretty similar 'dag this stinks!' emotions! I'm sitting at home reading the paper instead of doing my favorite yoga class and feeling like a spoiled, bratty 2 year old for even feeling this way....I mean I can walk again! If you really feel like you can use a week at home in a positive way it might be great, but sometimes it just leaves you feeling more isolated. I'd go with them and bring lots of great books! And fantasize about a year from now when we will both be going full steam ahead! My husband and I and a whole bunch of family are heading to Sanibel Island next week, and at 4 months I am focusing on how thrilled I will be to go for long painless walks on the beach...but I still miss yoga so badly!
 
good at least i'm not alone Annie's - honestly I would go with them but here's the kicker (where you'll be like what's your problem again). I have to travel for work twice next month. The first trip is April 7th to Colorado and I felt like the almost back to back travel would be too much. I need to be back on my game for work. So as lonely as I might feel next week, I know physically it's the best choice for me. if it was a beach vaca i'd be there in a heart beat but being board at my MIL house I think might almost be worse ;) so I downloaded the 2 books you recommended on meditation and I am considering painting my bedroom (wait is that nuts?) - I've made some easy plans with girlfriends. like a make up birthday celebration. and a sleepover with my sister/nieces and best friends since kindergarten. with ALL of this planned... how do we kick blues ultimately? when do they go away?
 
keepridingforward No, no, you are so still early in the process, you are so right to be cautious about traveling...and my mistake, I was envisioning you at some cozy ski chalet, not a relatives house! That early out I felt like my house was my sanctuary and didn't truly feel comfortable anywhere else...your week at home sounds perfect but DO keep visualizing all the progress that is to come...I think this situation must be harder for you since it came on so suddenly, and you are so young...it is definitely a life changer especially if you are very active...I had 'rapidly progressive OA' so in a space of a few months I went from running 3 times a week and doing 7 yoga classes a week to barely walking with a cane...but I'm 60, and know I should just be grateful that it is just life-style changing instead of life-threatening...but it is giving mme a good lesson on acceptance and equanimity, at times harder than others....in the first few months I was ecstatic as I made rapid progress back to normal, but these last two months have hammered home how long the complete recovery will be, and the reality that somethings are just gone from my life...but acceptance also includes acknowledging the grief you feel for your old life...I go up and down, and accept that too...meditation has been my best avenue to hopefully arrive at a more permanent state of gratitude...
 
but acceptance also includes acknowledging the grief you feel for your old life...I go up and down, and accept that too...meditation has been my best avenue to hopefully arrive at a more permanent state of gratitude...

wow Annie's hit the nail on the head! love how active you were and will be again, and I can only hope as I progress i'll never not be active as well. thank you for the sweet reminder :) (as I tear up again) xx
 
hey all at what point were you able to lie on your new hip; i.e. like sleeping etc. is there a time frame. I'm sure i need clearance as with everything else just wondering. i kind of accidentally ended up on that side for a bit and it felt ok. :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom