THR newbie hipster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll find your body and your hip will have their own way of slowing you down! You hit that wall for a good reason -- you need to rest and heal. I think I was about where you both are, off the main meds, only talking Tylonol and feeling full of energy, when I got so bored I decided to rearrange my living room. The hip didn't like it one bit and let me know in spades the next day. Remember that song "Slow down, you're going too fast" -- that's what your body is telling you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] newbie hipster :)
​
 
Welcome keepridingforward you my dear are a brave woman. Welcome to Bonesmart! Even though you have been thrust into this world by an accident, we will help you through it. When I was 30 years old, I had a very bad spiral fracture of the tibia/fib. Surprise, I now have a full leg cast, can't drive, can't bear weight, have a 3 year old daughter and an overwhelmed husband. Very tough few years. Fast forward to this year, needed a hip replacement due to osteoarthritis (blame my grandma) this is so much easier than that nasty spiral fracture. What's even better is that is you have us, who are recovering from the same thing, helping you through it. You are very brave, love your blog. Stick with us, we all need each other.
 
designergirl wow that was really sweet ! Über emotional these days too :) par for the course! Thanks for reading my blog, I'm in it now for sure xx
 
Oh yeah, tears triggered by sappy commercials, been there, done that. You will do great, you have a resilient spirit!
 
Oh by the way, you're near the Catskills? I love the mountains of NY, even though I'm a flat lander. Don't downhill ski any more, but love to x-country ski. Two weeks before my surgery, the conditions were so good, I pumped myself up with Aleve and my hubby and I went for it. Skiing was so great and I had that memory with me as I recover. Hope we get snow next year.
 
designergirl yep! that's right where I am ~ I was just thinking that cross county would be a great rehab activity ... BTW you had your surgery on my birthday must be good luck ! Where in western NY are you?
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, you sound as though you are doing very well for such early days.. energy drain is difficult to transition through.. especially once back in the work environment, whether at an office or at home.. patience is the key, it does get better :)
 
Jen, I live in North Tonawanda, a small town between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.
 
You know, I'm not sure how long the energy drain affected me. It just sort of gradually went away. Since I'm 70, my energy drains pretty quickly anyway. I come home after babysitting for 5-7 hours and am pooped, but I don't think I can blame the surgery for that. I blame the little 1 and 3 year old grands whose energy levels are over the moon!
 
keepridingforward, I'm a week ahead of you, and as you know, I went back to work this week. While I was ok, I think it was too soon-- I should have waited another week, and then gone back half days. But I'm committed, so I'm moving forward. By day 5 (today), I felt ok, but by the time I got home (at 1:30 so not a full day), my hip was swollen and more uncomfortable than it had been in awhile. I'm icing and resting now. You're younger and fitter than most of us, and this came as a shock to you, whereas most of us kind of knew for a while that we were going to have to do this. So it's understandable that you want to be OK already. But please try to slow down and think of the long run. You want this new hip to last you for a good long time. Hugs.
 
Yeah, guys, stay patient...it is my weakest character trait (one of them anyway)... And this week, 4 months post-op I find myself sidelined from yoga again because of my impatience...got frustrated at the poses I COULDN'T do instead of celebrating the ones I could...pushed and pushed myself and now have a severely inflamed glute and IT band on the operative leg, and can't do ANYTHING...and this time I swear I am going to learn- when I can go back I am going to GO SLOWLY...for real...because this going backwards stinks!
 
Annie's ugh I'm sorry - I'm learning slowly but surely about this patience gig.... I am trying to celebrate my mini steps as frustrating as they are. my PT told me today, really really ideally one year before yoga just because. but I am working on some upper body exercises in conjunction with my hip PT. I actually sweated today, was amazing. feel better :sigh:
 
keepridingforward. BarbaraR. Thanks guys....my new motto: Going forward slowly is WAY better than going backward...and I am going back to yoga on a couple weeks (I hope) but brother, it will be with a very different mindset...if I can be back to it fully in a year, I will be thrilled...I really like the upper body idea; going back to PT tomorrow for this glute issue and will get some suggestions...
 
smrt2run. Yes, yes, yes! Yoga is good for EVERYONE ! Just be sure to take a class with a teacher who is aware of any restrictions you have and will help you modify the poses as needed...check around and get some referrals...there are so many yoga teachers out there now, be sure to hook up with an experienced and compassionate one...my teacher has probably been my main source of support through this issue, outside of my family...good luck...PLEASE let me know how it goes...I love to hear about others' experiences with yoga, especially its power to heal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom