THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie geez you'd think that day would not be easy to mess up! May 19 please?
 
@donor
I am so sorry your back is bothering you. I hope you find some answers ~but I am still amazed at how much more you are doing than I am ready to do and my surgery was before you! Vent all you want~ that's what we're here for! I might need to do it next! Rest when you can and be good to yourself.
Oh and that paperwork for medical leave is crazy~ I was just pulling it all out of my files and looking on line and muttering under my breath about it all! So confusing! I'm sorry you got fussed at about it ~ so insensitive! Filling it all out at the onset of my infection was horrible ~ I vaguely remember crying my way through it while on the computer while getting help on the phone~ it hurt to sit, or stand let alone think! Hang in there!
 
Okay...new title is on board!!!
 
@Sullivand thanks for your sweet and empathetic note. You have been thru far worse than me with two surgeries and infection, omg. Your wonderful optimistic attitude comes thru in every post. Well except for the part where you talked about the friendly folks at disability. Hehe. Me, I have been back to work a few hours because 1/2 of my staff is gone on vacation and I'm lucky to work close to home. I find myself watching the clock and getting anxious when it's time to leave. Today is day 37 and the first day I drove myself. I come home, get a snack and ice my hip for hours each day. My legs, both, swell sitting at my desk. I'm not used to being vertical. It has been good for my spirit tho to get back to taking care of others. My hip and my back are both still sore. I strap on ice or heat or both as needed still and cannot get below 2 tramadol a day. I have also read posts from others that are far ahead of me. It's hard for me to remember our differences when all I want is for this to be over . I still cannot say I'm better off for having it done. All I can say for sure is I'm glad I'm not still agonizing about when I'm going to finally do it. Wow.....I guess I wrote an essay huh? We are great support for each other here. Xo. ♡
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely, I have found that despite all the difficulty, one morning you wake up and the pain isn't quite so bad and the leg actually feels okay, not great, but okay and you realize that you're approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.
 
How on earth could you mess up the disability form??? Bah hahahaha!!! Ohhhh no, and I asked you for help during my 1hr 10min hold time with them yesterday!!!! Hahah.

You are doing great! Working, setting boundaries, trying out your car. I'm so proud of you! The mere fact your back pain is sprouting through the hip pain means maybe the hip pain is down enough to not be number one, victory!
Now the back, hmmmmm, walking like uncle fester as you say, for the last however long, I'm sure is rearing its ugly head. Have you ever tired a TENS UNIT for back muscle pain? It works great and worth the investment. Start on LOW and work up the intensity. If it's not muscle, get that bad boy photographed, Mri'ed something, and nurse that baby for a few days. is bet the nurse here can suggest a good model or specs to look for. When my good one, ordered through my PT yrs ago, broke from overuse, I got a cheapy online.... Not worth it. Spend the $300 & get one that lasts & works!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@donor
Thank you for your kind words! Each of us has our own unique story but so much in common too. I had to wean off the Tramadol~ I had headaches and started having weird dreams and a bit of sadness. I have been off of it for 3 days and my pain is a bit sharper and not dulled~ I wanted one today but hate how I feel on it~ so I am struggling. Every time I read an entry~ I feel better. Try to stay good to yourself once you get home from work~Rest and ice. The weekend is on its way and I hope you can rest even more! You are doing great!
 
@Sullivand @Tweefishy We are each other's cheerleaders here! Thanks for the wonderful uplifting words.... :^)
TENS UNIT, I actually have one...go figure! I forgot all about it. I will give it a go this afternoon in my ice and elevation event. I am sneaking this in from work, dont' tell! It is quite easy to stay longer than I am "allowed" but I am quite good about leaving it for the next day. Sullivand I hope you get some meds that work for you. I could not do anything in the opiate family even tho Tramadol is quite similar. What are you going to try now? I cannot go cold turkey yet with everything I am doing. Have you done the tylenol route? I would be very interested to know what finally works as I want to get off the Tramadol soon....it's still causing potty issues for me. @Tweefishy you are probably on the way to your appointment and we will be here waiting for a full report! :wow:
 
@donor
I should have said that I am doing Tylenol and it seems to work. I let too much time go between doses today~so I need to do better with it. I take 1000mg 3 times a day and that seems to be working. After my first surgery Ibuprophen worked but it was anterior approach but this second surgery as lateral for some reason it didn't so acetaminophen is the answer this time~ go figure when it's only a few weeks apart and on the same hip. Go team Hippie! Haha!
 
@Sullivand lordie you can speak personally on both approaches. That's a claim to fame I guess? :) I am going to try Tylenol again. At first the combo of it with the tramadol had me barfing up a storm. ; (
 
@donor
Lordie is right~ Josephine said I was a first! My only regret is that I didn't find ya'll sooner! Tylenol works nicely with one glass of wine in the evening! I hate nausea~ I had that with the Norco. I used it only one week. You will find your pain management ~ it is hard as our needs change.
 
Day 40 short update. While I was pretty happy I could trim my toenails this am that elation went bye bye as my back is still very unhappy. I need to dust off my tens unit still. I've slapped on an icy hot patch for the moment after using lots of ice. I had so hoped to cut back on tramadol but I just can't for now. Added in Tylenol but things are still not happy. I even tried half a flexoril. I see many folks talk of back pain. I've suffered on and off for years with disc issues and have had several surgeries. My rational mind feels it's all the trauma and bizarre movement in the last 5 weeks which put me here. It began at about week 3. Of course when I called surgeon Thurs no call back. Some days it's not this bad but today it's verging on anxiety attack material. Ty for letting me spew here. I'll go take another pull now.
 
Oh @donor you poor thing. Think about some new shoes or no shoes while you are home resting tonight. I am probably simplifying your issues since my back got better w new shoes but I haven't had back trouble before. Keep taking your meds~ we are all on our own pace and you still need them and that's ok. I hope you reach your doctor tomorrow. You are in my thoughts. :prayer:
 
@Sullivand ty. It's sad that we have to fight so hard for a simple call back from the doctors office. But we do. I will let everyone know what they say but I can almost hear them now.....I'm back on the tramadol. ...and the Mirilax. Boo.
 
Day 40 update part 2. Realized my update did not include hip info. Duh. Well....pretty good except for deep groin pain. It's not incision pain it's close the groin tendon. Felt when raising leg into bed and getting in car etc. I feel occasional zingers like many of you all and aches too. Even tho I understand all off this I'm embarrassed to say it still frightens me every time I feel any of it. I wish I had a better grip on the anxiety and emotional part of this process. I had tons of anxiety and panic before the surgery. Enough to have meds for. I hoped it would all go away when this was over. It hasn't, it's just different. Does anyone use occasional anxiety meds still?
 
@donor
Anxiety?! Are you kidding dear sister of the hip?! Only all day long! It is my constant companion every time I feel twinges, zaps, shooting pain, deep muscle exhaustion~and I have to fight off the worry. What I understand is that as our muscles heal and become stronger we will begin to feel less worry because our symptoms will subside even more. I worry infection will come back as it came from who knows where and I take my temperature twice a day. It is making us crazy isn't it?! I can usually let go when I go and do something "normal". Today I watered plants on my patio and did laundry~ I also made a caprese salad w basil from my yard. All with the blankety blank cane and not very gracefully! So for about an hour or so I forgot to worry. I also get so emotional thinking back before surgery and then I remember to pray and let God do some of this for me.
Are you going to work tomorrow? You are in my thoughts and I will worry for you a bit too so you can rest from it. :console2:
 
Oh @donor I forgot to answer about anxiety meds. I did take Valium as needed before surgery. It mostly made me sleepy mixed with the Tramadol. I imagine you can ask your doctor about it and come up with a plan if you need to. I haven't gone back to work yet so I imagine that makes it hard or maybe easier because you get busy?
 
@Sullivand no I am off tomorrow so I will lay low again. Will also get doctor's office on the phone and schedule my pt. Keeping busy. Ty for kind words as always.
 
@donor Did you call your OS or GP? Your GP might be more responsive on the anxiety issue than your OS, who probably prefers to work on the bone-related stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom