THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gogreen I've had this on for over an hour still cold and I'm not laying in a puddle yay! Day 33 but still need ice!
 
I think they are great:ice:i have pretty much given up the strong pain killers and i think it could be because of these cold packs.:yes!: well, have a good night all.
 
Day 34 here and I wonder if I can ask all the experts here a qiestion. Hip is doing well.. walking and icing and moving pretty normally. Taking 2-3 tamadol a day as needed. But my back has been killing me the last 4 says. Lower area. I'm sure it's muscular as sneezing is ouchie etc. Over the last month I've probably asked so much of my back in moving in and out of bed...bending over in bizarre ways etc. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks.
 
Donor, over the last 20 years or so, I get occasional flare-ups of back pain. Usually calms down pretty quickly if I pay attention to making sure I get a few walks in, and perhaps some gentle stretching. After THR, there's a lot of adjusting going on. Just curious...have you acquired new shoes, or are you still wearing your pre-surgery shoes? It is surprising how much a difference shoes can make....old shoes have wear patterns that adjusted to our old abnormal gait. Now that we aren't limping, and can walk with a truly normal stride, the old shoes can throw us off that stride. Result: pain in all kinds of referred places. So that's one easy fix you can look at and see if it applies.

Otherwise....did you increase your activity in any way in the past week that might explain the back pain? (I just looked back a page or two on your thread...looks like you've gone back to work? Hmm.... different chair? More ups and downs? Fewer ups and downs? Lifting? Bending?) And did you have any back pain prior to your surgery? THRs fix a lot of things, but....they don't fix everything! :)

Sharon
 
@sharonslp thanks. I'm sure I've done many things differently over the last week and month. My shoes are all danskos the only thing I can wear. I have had back issues over the years so I'm sure it's just a side effect of the limping, awkward bending and using my body so differently since the surgery. I was walking like Charlie Chaplin for the first week or so and lunging around. Getting into bed was a struggle until i could lift my leg. I'll try to lay low and rest it with heat and ice. I feel like it's always something. :sigh:
 
@donor I have had lower back issues for years and both THRs did cause me a bit of pain. Your pelvis is balancing back from walking all wrong to stay off that sore hip. A bit of time and TLC is needed for that lower back. Don't worry - this will ease.
 
@Jaycey thank you. I'm sure it's due to the month of daily trauma. Bending over and using crutches and everything else my body has endured. I put a call into surgeon's office just in case. I feel better having someone call. I'll do a few extra tramadol and Tylenol for today. Hip feels ok. ..now this. :(
 
Hope you're doing better. I just now read your thread, I too am in the SF Bay Area and having lots of trouble getting pain under control. Did you ever find a combo that works?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweefishy hello. ..maybe we are close by! I'm in Alameda. I had a bad time with pain and meds causing lots of nausea . I tried everything and ended up using tramadol and at times Tylenol. But mostly tramadol . I had zofran for naisea.
I still take ttamadol 34 days out. I could not do the narcotics. It was frustrating for sure and caused anxiety. I hope it gets sorted out soon for you. Write anytime!
 
I'm in Fremont :) I read your whole thread to see your med history since you were an example of someone having a hard time finding a pain control regimen that worked for you. I am having similar problems, the anxiety and depression coinciding with hydromorphone have exceeded its usefulness for pain control. I'm trying to piece together a new regimen since both my docs are on vacay for 2 wks. I had Dr Bucklin at the Santa Clara Kaiser do my hip. Their orthopedic dept seemed one of the best for Kaisers in this area.
Sounds like you are doing much better now. good for you! *****Wishing you lots healing*******


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweefishy small world!!!! At Day 35 I am much better but it was very rocky. I was sick from the minute I woke up in hospital. I'd love to talk to you since we are so close if that would help. I went thru a pretty bad depressed for a good 2 weeks but it started to lift. I will message number. I have not spoken to anyone in my situation except for the lovely folks on this board. Without them I have felt totally alone and scared at times. I'm happy things are moving forward for you as well! Best, Chris
 
Hello moderators....I cannot adjust my thread title, could someone add my date to end of title 6-19. ?? Tyty! :)
 
Day 36 update. Yes still counting days. Back is feeling slightly better. Surgeons office called last night returning my call from 2 days ago. Geez luckily I was not bleeding. Ice, heat, double celebrex, etc.etc.etc everything I was doing. Epsom salt baths too since I am clear to submerge. Otherwise they are sure. ...as the mods are here that it's par for the course at 5 weeks out. It just feels better having a medical person say so. Back to work max of 4 hours per day but still not driving . Lucky that hubby can drop me and drag me out before I get overwhelmed and stay full days which this Type A could easily do. Still on 2-3 tramadol a day as needed. Thanks to all for helping me get this far. It feels like a million years ago I had this done at times but others it's just like yesterday. :curtsey:
 
Spoke too soon....back unhappy again today. I'm a hot mess, hip is on ice and heating pad under back. I hope I don't electrocute myself. :^/ That would be my speed. Working only a few hours is hard, I am at warp speed the second I arrive until I sneak out the door. Its stressful. Also I made an error on disability form....which is so very UNCOMPLICATED. ...insert sarcasm. Was told off big time by disability employee. Not a good day. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
 
@Poppet hello, I read your articles word for word as I'm so interested in nutrition and bone health. You explain things beautifully. Can you touch on how our bones remodel if we have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I asked my doc if my bones looked or appeared different than most he sees and he said no...but I wonder if my healing might take longer or something. I am not on meds at this point. Just looking for thoughts here from your perspective. Thanks :)
 
Hi @donor - I would be delighted to write an article relating to osteoporosis bone health and healing. Give me a few days (if ok with you) as I try to not work on the weekends - however, thank you for your interest. This is the type of interaction I have been hoping that my articles would trigger with and for members :)
 
@Poppet thank you!!!!! I'm beyond excited to hear your thoughts and appreciate your time greatly. So much controversy about osteoporosis meds...and my endocrinologist said 3 months post replacement before starting anything. Can't risk anything new in the healing equation. I've put it off so long and tried to hit the osteo with nutrition and HRT etc.etc. Impact exercise was not possible with messed up hip. I'm praying now that my bones will be wise enough to solidify around the implant like a normal person. Whatever that is. Lol . Again bless you. ♡
 
No problem, my pleasure @donor :) -- it is not even 7:30 am Friday am and I have already started writing, lol... I will get interrupted shortly as we have a tree surgeon coming to fell four trees. However, it is such an interesting topic, I suspect I will 'let the men' do their thing and stick with my writing, hehe :)

p.s. In the meantime, have you seen this article I wrote about Nordic Walking - it is in the Social Room, here is the link - food for thought :)

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nordic-walking-poppet-walks-the-talk.16606/
 
@Poppet you are too sweet! There must be other folks here in my shoes so I'm sure the article will be a must read. I literally was terrified to have my hip done for fear I'd crumble into slivers....but day 37 so far I'm still here. The surgeon said it wasn't even a concern for him....which kind of bothered me. Anyway tyty!! Xo
 
Hello moderators....I cannot adjust my thread title, could someone add my date to end of title 6-19. ?? Tyty! :)
Your signature indicates your surgery was May 19th. If you'll tell me which is correct (May 19 or June 19), I'll change your thread title.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom