Guest viewing is limited

THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to try 2-3 hours back starting tomorrow. I manage a doctor's office so I can sit when needed. I will report back to everyone. If it's too soon doctor will give me a new note. Happily he is letting me dictate this.
 
Driving test today. I have not tried to drive in 29 days. Aside from my car needing a battery charge I was able to do it. However it was scary. There was an awareness of my driving leg....not pain per se. I think it's a confidence thing. Doctor says I'm not going to hurt my hip by driving and I can move foot back and forth easily. I guess it's just another step for me.
 
Yay @ Doner! It's nice to get your freedom back with Driving. I also have made that transition. Good luck returning to work part time!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sitting here with coffee #2 trying not to freak out about my reentry back to the work world. 2-3 hours I can do. :fingersx: I think a party is planned which is more than sweet. Hubby is picking me up so there is no way I can get carried away and overdo which is possible being Type AAA as he says. :shrug:
 
Don't forget your 30 minutes of lying down flat. I was told to do that 3x a day. It's a good rule to follow so that you don't get that energy drain. Best wishes for a great day. Slow & steady and take care of yourself. <3
 
I survived! It was so strange not being able to get horizontal at a moments notice. I'm icing and elevating now. All I could think of was ice on the way home. Work was an anxiety producing event. Everyone was so happy to see me but conversation and problems were rapid fire. Hubby brought in a cake which said Hip Hip Hooray on it. So sweet. I will keep to the couple hours a day doctor release....until I am completely certain I'm ok. That may be weeks and weeks from now. They all just need to deal with it. :)
 
Day 2 back to work was better than day 1. Last night I felt I over did everything and the old anxiety panic set in. What did I do? Did I damage my hip, will I ever be normal, will full time work be a thing of the past etc.etc. I got up at 2am for a tramadol and ice bag. But happy to report this am was better! Still carry the tramadol to work but didn't need one. Even went to Trader Joe's on the way home Yay! Icing as I type. Each day is so different for me. Reading all the posts is very helpful and therapeutic. ;)
 
Day 32. Yes I am still counting. So happy for the weekend and time to relax and ice more. I've gone thru 3 ice bags in a month. They all developed holes. What does everyone use and love? I had thick ziplocks......the refreezable ones and an old fashioned one with screw top...all developed holes. Usually I don't realize until I have a very wet leg....boo.
 
@donor
I use cold gel packs. I like them better than dealing with ice. They come in all sizes and don't break. I suggest having more than one so they can be rotated.
"Soft Comfort CorPak" Hot&ColdPak
www.CoreProducts.com
Hope this helps!
 
I use the gel packs too - several can be rotated in and out of the freezer. You are very tough to be working at one month after surgery even for a few hours. I think I was till having lengthy daily naps then. At least your doctor is on your side if you want to stay home a while longer. Stay positive! You are doing so well!
 
Thanks. We actually have some gel packs and one did leak this week. Hubby uses them for post-op knee pain from his TKRs. I think the packs are just worn out. Will get a few new ones today. I don't feel extra strong or warrior like in returning to work part time really. My coworker left Friday for 3 week vacation so it was rather necessary. Having my op on May 19 I thought for sure I would be well enough to return to work in 4 weeks. I was totally unprepared for recovery by the doctor's office. :( I was lead to believe this op was much less than it turned out to be. :hissy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I found a gel pack called Cryomax cold pack at Walgreens that work great. It comes with a cloth cover with a velcro strap. It claims to last 8 hrs (my experience is closer to5-6 hrs which is still pretty good) I love it and now have 3 so I always have one ready to go.
 
@donor
So not only is every THR different but so are the surgeons! I think that w out the help of this forum you would have felt like something was really wrong but now you know you are progressing normally. My surgeon is not budging about my recovery dates. I wanted him to release me early so I could get my contract signed knowing I had the summer to heal. He said sure but listed all of my precautions and the school district said no contract yet! My principal is holding my job thank goodness ~we all like each other! I love teaching.
Sorry the gel packs got holes! I never heard of that! Lots of use in your family! :(
I'm glad you have the weekend to recover and afternoons too. Hang in there! Whether you feel the warrior or not~ you are everyday you put on your work clothes and go! Here's to hoping the fatigue subsides!
 
@gogreen thanks have not seen that one before. Off to Walgreens this am! Enjoy your "hiking." :)
 
@Sullivand thanks for sweet note. Putting on makeup after a month was interesting too. :) so nice that your folks are working with you on your return date. Some people react to me like I am crippled and other expect me to be running a marathon by now. So interesting. :^/
 
@gogreen the ice pack you recommend is awesome! Thank you. Found one at Walmart which was quite a challenge this am. But it's great with the strap to form it around the thigh. So.much better than what I've been using. Wow.
 
Glad I could help. I have three of these gel packs. they are just the right size. I use them on my hip, my knee, my head if I get a head ache. I have one with me all the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom