THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@donor You poor thing~ rest and ice and say NO :bignono:to clam shells! Walking is best according to my OS. I am on a walk now and am taking a break~ realized I forgot any Tylenol today. Ugh a bit sore!
 
@Sullivand ty. I just got a very thorough lecture from a woman who had her hip done 6 months ago by same doctor. I didn't even know that until last week. Small world. Today I just took doggie walk and I'm done. Ice and more ice today. I carry baggies of pills in every purse I own. Sad but true. :(
 
@donor
I like that idea! Pills will be with me from now on! I am just now catching up w the pain! I cried when I got home~ will we need pain meds forever?!
I hope the woman who lectured you was kind! Is she still on pain meds at 6 months?!:bawl:
 
@Sullivand crying is ok....good gosh it if wasn't we would all be in bad shape. Yes, stick a small baggie in each purse. The only issue is if you have to explain yourself....which I did once. Oh boy, it turned out ok but post op pain is REAL and we need our meds. Sorry Mr. Officer, I an NOT selling these.....are you nuts, I need them all myself. No, she is not on meds 6 months later and yes, she was kind....but she let me have it. I truly didn't think I was doing any harm....but knowing myself, I paid no attention to the little voice which said, ok you have completed the entire page twice...STOP!!! I had no idea this woman had hip surgery and it came up quite by accident as she is a patient of my practice! She made an appointment, asked if I would be there and I said no, still working half days.....the conversation happened. It was SHOCKING to hear, same leg, same procedure, same doctor. We both were floored. Small world. I will inform PT lady today that I need to take it down a notch.
 
@donor So good to know she is not on pain meds at 6 months! Whew 4 months to go! I know~ crying does help ~ I was mad at myself and felt how much longer?! Ugh
Well I will keep meds in the bottles in case of being questioned! Hahaha!
 
7 week anniversary. Truly feels like 7 days or 7 years depending on my mood. Yesterday pt lady said my rx this week is to take it down about 10 notches. I was in a state at my apt and her even massaging my leg was too much. I got slight scolding for overdoing which I didn't need to hear, my hip clearly let me know. I resorted to pain pill and half anxiety med last night as even tho everyone here has experienced an overdone moment, I still was an anxious insomniac mess. Today is another day which shall not include any stupid clamshells. Hugs to hippies. ♡
 
Hi @donor oh its horrible. :gaah:One minute you are on the up and the next on a downer and yes doing too much doesnt take long for the hip/hips to tell you about it.

I havent had any pt support since leaving hospital 22 days ago. Not sure if I was supposed to or not. Am a fairly
pleased I havent had PT as I can regulate myself. I tend to try and walk every hour and do the muscle clenching type stuff.

Today I did it again and ambled about the house without crutches again. Not for long or very far then sat in one position for half hour, that caused me to have to ice both hips and take more pain meds.

I am more stubborn than I realised .

I hope your day gets better and you get some sleep.

Xx:console2:
 
@donor if you need your pain med don't feel like you're letting down by taking it. I think we sometimes see not taking pain med as a "badge of courage" then when we really need something we feel like we've failed somehow. :shrug: Just because someone else is moving at a different rate - they may not have had the same issues as you, like so many here have seen. I bet if you could have talked with the "six month lady" when she was four to six weeks out you'd find she's forgotten what it was like.
Costco at anytime can be like playing bumper cars - the first Costco run can be a real milestone. I've thought I should put a sign on my back and cart that says "I can't make quick stops or sharp turns" but don't think it would help. Brandishing a cane does keep some people from running you over and other shoppers and Costco folks can be very helpful with heavy stuff - and they will load your car for you.
Back pain - I have one of those elastic back support thingies I got at the drugstore. When my back hurts just wearing it for a short while, especially first thing in the morning, helps that "I can't stand up straight" feeling.
As my hip is getting better I'm noticing there's less back pain unless I sit at my computer too long. Hope with the PT that will work for you, too.

Patti in Vail AZ
 
@Suzette @DesertHorses thanks for kind words, we can always count on us hippies to hold each other up. Yes, somehow in my head resorting back to Tramadol was defeat but at midnight after tossing and turning way too long I just took it and hoped to sleep. Costco was probably a lofty goal and according to PT lady, not something I would EVER recommend at 6 weeks. This week I am scaling back, starting with hubby dropping me off at work so I don't have to lower myself into my little car. xoxox
 
I don't know whose thread I was reading last night but copied this response from Josephine thinking of you after your clamshell weekend:


"All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. And especially not those clamshells! Ugh! They are so hard on the IT band!"

I have my first in clinic PT today.... I did a lot of walking this weekend so hopefully I don't do much and get someone who listens so it's not a struggle.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweefishy let us know how the PT goes for you too. Yes, I am off the Clams of any variety. xo
 
We are all guilty of joining the ODIC (overdone it club)) during this recovery....it's the only way we learn to pave the recovery.
I definitely found that less was more in my case....& you won't need your meds at 6 months., But you may need them still for a while....! Take it easy! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
7.5ish weeks here and had to get ice bag at 230 am last night. Why can't my brain just understand that maybe I did a little too much and needed a little extra ice? Rather than say...failure? So easy for me to boost everyone up and see everyone else's progress. Odd the way that is. Perhaps more coffee is needed.
 
Dear @donor
Try not to be hard on yourself! I am 2 weeks ahead of you and I still do the same thing! Here's what I have noticed ~ maybe it's the same for you~ earlier on in my recovery ~ I would over do and then it would take me 2 days or more to recover! Now when I over do~ I still have to recover to my frustration BUT it takes less time to recover! How about you? I am going to consider that progress. Positive thinking. :tada:
 
I hear you girl! I can be the best damn cheerleader for everyone else, but somehow it doesn't translate to me, something I've been working in for yrs and actually I am making tiny bits of progress in that arena. My hubs just walked out the door without giving me fresh ice...... I'm in the mental debate..... Do I go get it myself now or wait till meds kick in. Mornings are my worst. I'd like a camera to see what the heck I do at night that makes it sooooooooooo sore in the morning. Maybe you ran a marathon laying down? Picture your doggy dreaming, chasing a squirrel, now picture you in same action!!!! Hahahah. Quite the image, but I bet we do roll about wrong, and definitely break the leg inward restriction by laying on side even with pillows. I swear, pillow trolls must really enjoy moving my leg pillows because I am never on them when I wake :/ you are not a failure. Stop that perfectionism right now! Some days, being human is ok :)


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Mini update and chuckle of the day. Have been to 3 pt sessions which are more like therapy sessions. There is so much swelling around incision that she is working on massaging the area. It's not comfortable at all! I've told her that some exercises hurt and I just won't do them. Fine with them.....but I did do a leg press machine for the first time in maybe 2 years? Had a glimpse of heading back to the gym I have been paying everyone else's membership on for last year. Still pt suggests clamshells and bridges.....oye. So there are tons of folks out there who have bionic hips. Today a patient comes in spewing his miracle recovery 6 years ago from a posterior repl. At 7.5 weeks these folks still really water* me off. But....he starts telling me about his scar and just about drops his drawers to show me! Now......there were at least 8 other patients in front office so timing was a bit off, not that I even wanted to see (but I kinda did)....lol. :) I guess he is as proud if his badge of courage as I am but the boss would not have appreciated a buttock in the reception area. Eeek. :yikes:
 
What is it with you and drawers dropping in a PT office?! ;) what is going on in the Alameda PT lounge!?!? Heeeheeehaahaaa.

I'm still working on being a miracle 6 wk story! I got 2wks left. It's on!!!! Being serious though, it is difficult reading stories with no struggle when you've struggled from day 1. I get that but I wish I was one of em.....

For the first time ever, I truly had to depend on someone to help me. Such a bizarre experience for my independent nature. I'm not a fan of feeling vulnerable or needing help but it's brought my husband and I closer. Quick recovery would not have changed my role so drastically.

That's my positive, optimistic spin on a crappy recovery. You are well on your way! Love on your doggies tonight and you'll feel better.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@Tweefishy sweet outcome from a bad situation. Maybe there is your reason. Hope the sleep meds help tonight.
 
Oh my god!!! I just laughed soooo hard. I was telling my sweetie some of the horror stories about folks on here, and then followed up with a few miracle stories..... His response with no prodding from me damn near made me pee my pants! .... "What the hell are people like that on a support forum for anyways! Are they just having fun bringing others down? They should be kicked out. That ain't right!" Hilarious!!!!! I love this man! Thought you'd appreciate that from a completely new perspective.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom