Guest viewing is limited

THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 I'm sure doctor will tell me tomorrow that this bionic hip is WAY stronger than my old one. I guess it's just time for my head to wrap around it fully. :umm:
 
Oh my!! I feel just like you. I haven't ventured outside without my cane but usually don't need it. I purchased a fold up cane that I am going to start using tomorrow. I can carry it in a bag and pull it out if I need it. I am scared to death of falling or having someone run into me.
 
@donor I went shopping today too and still carried the cane around on my wrist! I'm more concerned about getting tired and then 'lurching'. But I did fine. 4 weeks for you is incredible! Happy Sunday to you too!
 
@donor ~ you are ahead of me in uncharted waters! My PT told me " You are sturdy~ it's when pain is minimal and you trust your new hip you are on your way" I still have pain and swelling after walking w/ out cane so it's not time for me yet. I take a few steps w/ out the cane.
 
@Sullivand I understand totally. I don't feel sturdy in my head I guess. Even with anterior and virtually no restrictions I don't trust my hip. I guess it comes in time. I decided to take my cane when walking outside just now. I don't have lots of pain but I do have an awareness. I hope you are feeling better today.
 
did you just wake up one morning trusting you new parts?
Not really. It can take awhile before you feel totally confident outside your home. I took a cane or crutch just in case for quite awhile post THR (both). When you start forgetting the walking aide that's a good sign. And as those muscles tighten around the joint things will feel more secure. Still early days!
 
@Jaycey thanks. Maybe it will be just like going up steps. I was at the top the other day and realized I walked up normally. Holy cow how did that happen? Keeping the cane around just in case is a good idea.
 
I am at 6 weeks! I still need my cane. I still have pain and swelling. It's funny how it's so different for each individual. I won't have work clearance until August 3rd. I had a very active weekend with grad parties. My niece and God daughter just graduated. So proud of her. I forgot how much work goes into the parties. It was crazy, but successful. My Dr said everything looks good but to remember that it takes time. He said it's usually a good year and a half for full recovery. Since I had both mine done in under a year it will completely take all that time. I'm happy he ordered more pool pt for me. He is so wonderful. Looking forward to my next pt. It's
nice to read about everyone's experiences.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox, I am at 7 weeks and still need my cane. We are all very different when it comes to healing. I think if you have other problems like the other hip or knee problems the recovery will take longer. My goal right now is to walk with the cane and not tire and wobble!
 
I am at 6 weeks and still need a cane. We will get there! Fingers crossed!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
4 week hip anniversary today. It feels like 4 years in some ways and 4 days in others. Before I had the surgery people would tell me it's a piece if cake, you'll wake up so happy, it's so common these days it will be so easy for you etc.etc. Well not exactly my experience. Like many of you I was not crippled or limping around prior to my surgery but I knew it had to be done.....oops premature posting.....stay tuned for the rest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My surgeon really down played the entire experience. Maybe if he was truly honest with me I would have canceled for the third time. Anyway... 4 weeks later and I am getting there. If any of those people who told me it would be a piece of cake ask me how I am I might punch them in the hip. :censored: The doctor saw me yesterday and was quite pleased with where I am. I was a complete basket case when I saw him 2 weeks ago, with unmanaged pain and quite depressed. I got thru it somehow. He has removed all restrictions and said there's really nothing I can do that would hurt my hip at this point except for one bizarre yoga move I could never do anyway! I still am listening to my body and icing as I type this. I will slide back to work Thursday 2or 3 hours a day for about 2 weeks.....if it is too much he will write me a note that keeps me off as long as I feel is necessary. He is very happy to work with me on this. I was semi successful in painting my toenails this morning, thank God I can't see them really well but I felt very accomplished as a week or two ago I could not even lift my knee up. Sleeping is better on some nights other nights I still use half an ativan just to get me there. All in all I am doing awesome in his book. I even examined my xrays up close which I had much difficulty in doing a couple weeks ago. Still on 2-3 tramadol a day and cannot wait to get off them so I can have uncomplicated BMs again. Still an issue despite 10 million prunes and stool softeners :( . I'm so happy this is behind me as the anxiety I had for the last year was crippling. I am so grateful for all the hand holding you fellow hippies have given me. :roseshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
P.s. my doctor doesn't think pt is required. He says life and walking will do the rehab just fine. Things will work themselves out. Go figure!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow @donor! What great news! I am so happy for you~ I know what you mean about all of the people who minimized this experience and I had to do it twice in 5 months! I could hit a few hips myself! It is the WRONG thing to tell a hippie they will get over it fast~ it feels dismissive doesn't it?!
Celebrate your victories!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Doner

I am here to tell you...I had the same experience you did. My Dr said that I would be so happy after the fact. I'd get up and walk right after surgery. Umm, SO not true. This is MAJOR surgery. I was so disappointed that I just didn't automatically feel good. This is a long huge process. I am 6 weeks out and will not return to work at the earliest, beginning of August. I still need pain meds. I still need strengthening. Thank God my Dr agreed and gave me more pool pt. I am sure having a lot of lower back issues and my left hip done last July has something to do with it.

I am basically saying I get irritated when I hear people say it's an easy operation to heal from. I tell them, let me describe this surgery to you and then tell me it's easy!!! I think all of us hippies are one hellava strong group! For the record my surgeon did finally say at my last appt that it takes a good year and a half to recover from a THR. Any surgery that takes that long is no small surgery!!

Hope this finds you well and you have many, many good days ahead.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Totally understand where u are coming from. I am nowhere near feeling grateful for having this done!!!! Grrrrr......
 
@Sullivand @fearbox ....I hear you! I was thinking something was wrong with me and I was a wimp or struggling so much with what other's said was a piece of cake! What the hell kind of cake???? I struggled for 3 weeks from the moment I woke up in the hospital with nausea and constipation and medication issues and the list goes on. We are not weenies! This is a big freekin deal. Xo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom