THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
:dogwalk:@Sullivand yes it's hard for sure. Just this week when I went to the cane I take her with me for the daily amble around the neighborhood.
 
Hello all!
At what point were u cleared to get in pool or bath? My incison is well closed. Typing this as I pedal on stationery bike! Day 24 accomplishment!!!:biking:
 
Hi @donor -- my OS gave me the ok to start water therapy at four weeks. We are all different though so best to check :)
 
Re the doggie thing @Sullivand - I bought a little set of doggie steps so my little dog could get up onto my bed and cuddle (well, mostly she just luxuriates!) when I couldn't lift her - and now she still uses them to get up to her fave spot with the sunshine streaming in on a cold morning. I suppose it depends if your pup is the large-lap-needing-variety like @donor 's!
 
@Doner

I was cleared at 3 weeks for the pool. It has been simply amazing. The non weight baring in the pool is wonderful. I usually hang on a noodle the first 5 min. Then I do the motions of riding a bike while hanging on the noodle. Then we do like a jumping jack motion with your legs while on the noodle. Then I walk on the treadmill that is in the pool. It's amazing. Then we do some stretches. I never want to get out! I go twice a week. So much better than land pt especially in these first weeks. I hope you get cleared.

I over did it a few days ago and could hardly walk. So when I had my pool pt she used the jet on me and it felt great. I feel like I have taken a step backwards with all the activity I've been doing. At the end of the day I usually am in so much pain. I have to quit trying to tough it out and take the drugs before I go hog wild with whatever I have going on. I just get frustrated with not being able to do what I want. I keep saying to myself, Marathon, not sprint. Repeat!! Although some days it just doesn't work...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox i just got cleared for the pool at 8 weeks. Can't wait. I am going Monday and will follow what you do. Hanging on noodle and some walking to start. Don't want to overdo. Kneel me posted on what you do!
 
I got a call from surgeon today after calling their office 4 says in a row. All I needed was a quick checkin. He cleared me for tub sadly no access to a pool. I'll pretend in my tub. He said all my aches and pains are to be expected at day 24. Told me to keep walking and avoid anything that brought on the groin pain. Well....ok that's what I'm doing! :)
 
@donor I could take a shower about a week after my surgery once the visiting nurse removed the larger bandage. Then with the wet & heat of the shower the steri strips started to fall off slowly over 2 wks until I finally peeled the last few off just before my 4 week OS followup appointment. Because the scabs were gone and the incision had healed nicely the OS cleared me to go into the pool. I wasn't feeling up to going in right away, still using a crutch. Once I started my outpatient therapy, with a cane and after stretching & exercise (which got easier by the way), I was able to get in the pool around 5 1/2 weeks. It's been wonderful and today at 7 1/2 weeks I am walking finally without the cane for short distances without pain or lurching. Yippee! :happydance:
 
@wcgirl Yay!!!! I wish I had a pool I could use but don't. I'm walking up a storm and hope I've not overdone today. Icing the c--p out of my hip right now.
 
@donor The pool I go to is at the rehab center. I found it a year ago. I checked around and was very happy to find them about 15min away.
Yes, ice, ice, baby!
 
@sunbunny,
I will be happy to keep you posted on what we do. It has helped tremendously. I literally have no pain when in that water. Hanging and relaxing is the best.

I have been going up stairs left/right and I think I have strained my leg quite a bit. You feel good one day and have to be careful not to over do it. I have made that mistake.

I am sad I have to be out of the pool for 2 weeks. I have another surgical procedure next week and have to wait I will be happier when I have some answers and am done with all these hospital visits!!

If you have any pool questions I'd be happy to tell you what we've done so far.

Kris


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox yes keep me posted! Good luck with your procedure and watch out for the steps. Too much too soon will set you back. I am looking forward to hanging onto the noodle!
 
I have been going around the house without the cane. I take it with me outside but don't really use it. Tonight I walked around our street with no cane! I can't wait to ditch it my elbow tendonitis which was finally healed is now back full on from the crutches and cane. It's always something.:tantrum:
 
Happy Sunday all. Day 26 for me and it seems in some ways like YEAR 26. I see the doc tomorrow, still have some questions for him on how I am doing etc. Spoke to him on phone last week and he said ok for tub so I have taken advantage of that. Need to be cautious about getting in....seems I am not quite as flexy as I used to be. Today I am ditching the cane after realizing last night I was going up the stairs foot over foot without even realizing it. I guess that is real progress. Still taking the 2-3 tramadol a day, especially at night. Tried to go without the other night and woke up in pain which led to anxiety and panic.....not a good combo. Riding the stationery bike going up a minute or two each day and walking alot. I had to cut back on the walking yesterday however as I really overdid the day before. Tried to get in my car yesterday and I felt it was a bit too premature....today I will try again. I am hoping the doc gives me clearance to go back to work the end of this week for a few hours per day. I think he will. Tuesday is 4 weeks for me. I tried to lay on the operated side last night and it still feels foreign to me.....hard to describe but you Hippies will understand. I filed a few toenails on the op leg last night too.....so all of these small victories have me optimistic today. Thanks for all the hand holding.....and I hope everyone has nice Sunday. :thumb:
Chris
 
Oh look at you @donor! I am so happy for you! That anterior approach is such a great approach for recovery! I am ahead of you post op but you're ahead of me in recovery! Go girl! Just remember to listen to your body and rest it when you need to! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just went to trader Joe's with no cane. Very hard to trust my hip altho balance is good and very mindful of my gait so no limp. All you experienced hippies. .... did you just wake up one morning trusting you new parts? Around the house I'm ok but outside it feels a little more foreign.
 
@donor
Boy, I've read many posts on here with this same concern...feel okay at home without the walking aid, but step one foot outside and it's another story. I would imagine it's probably very disconcerting!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom