THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not taken in a long while but I do have vicodin and Percocet as well as Tylenol 3 in the house. Maybe cutting one in half would be a.good test. I took half tramadol this am and felt nauseated. Could it be an allergy I wonder?
 
Trying tramadol again today. Had first pt visit and was told to take things down a notch. :bow: swelling is better and doctor told me to remove the ultra gummy bandage. Omg.... that took all day and 3 tries. Still have an inch or so that is just welded on. Very hard to remove. One week so far. Still sleeping very poorly. Hoping I'll see home nurse someday to discuss meds.
 
Hi @donor - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Am back on the tramadol. I believe the mega doses of tylenol were making me super nauseaded all the time. To think a person can do this recovery on tylenol alone is nuts, even tho the dotctor suggested it since everything, at the time was making me puke. I am on day 9 and the pain is pretty intense, lowering activity level and raising icing and elevating. Agency who was to come to the home to help me with things has never shown up despite my 3 calls. I spoke to the doctor's office and recommended they find another agency to use, this has been unacceptable. Thanks for listening.
Chris
 
@donor do you have a family doctor you can call about your pain meds? You obviously need to switch to something you can tolerate. Either that or anti-nausea meds for a bit. Your plan to rest, ice and elevate may help. Please keep us updated.
 
Tramadol is ok for the minute. Cutting them in half and working upto a full one by tonight. So far no nausea and able to eat. Appetite is pretty tiny tho. If this doesn't work I will call surgeon's office again.
 
Day 11. Back on the tramadol just half pills except for night. Feel rather blue and I know it's normal. My calf and shin are also showing lots of bruising. It just aches and aches. Elevation and ice are my life lately. Home nurse finally came and is still concerned about pain. Suggested ativan for sleep which I'm doing. Just need a little hand holding I guess today. :hairpulling:
 
@Doner

I can't imagine going thru this surgery with just tramadol And Tylenol. I will be 4 weeks out on Monday. I'm still taking Vicodin. I can get away with Tylenol in the morning but by 1pm I need something stronger. I still have pain from where my main complaint was before the replacement. They tell me it's norma and takes time to calm down and heal. I'm banking on that.

I hope you get to feeling better and be sure to rest and elevate. Remember this recovery is marathon and not a sprint. Good luck to you.

Kris (fearbox)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@donor I'll pre-post a couple of thread for you as a reminder. I am sure you have already read them but just to let you know that you are not alone in this process. Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?Nap when you can during the day and don't fight the sleep issues. They will quickly pass. But do be sure your meds are enough to keep you comfortable at night. Discuss your pain management cocktail with your family doc if you need to.

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it At about 10 days out the routine starts to become tiresome. You realise this is not just going to go away quickly. Hang in there - it gets a whole lot better!
 
Day 15.....Felt like I turned a corner today until a little tweak in upper thigh. Forgot for a moment to push out of chair and just stood up. I guess good news was I forgot for a minute that I had surgery...bad news is thigh muscles are still pretty raw. Been back on tramadol since follow up on Monday and not sick this time around.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
bad news is thigh muscles atr still pretty raw.
Only 15 days out - not to worry. Recovery is all about finding your limits and scaling back if you do too much. What seems impossible one day is just darn easy another. Keep those pain meds going until you start forgetting doses. They will help increase your mobility.
 
Thanks you all for kind words. It was another bad night up 3 times getting ice and taking pain meds. They still make me feel so queasy even just the tramadol and Tylenol alone. I saw a post somewhere about a schedule for these 2 meds not finding it this am. I was in such a state last night I took an ativan too. I am so happy to see the light of morning. The muscles are still very unhappy today so ice ice baby. I guess recovery is not a perfect uphill climb. :sorry:
 
Hugs and good thoughts for you. Night was always the worse for me too. Hope you get some rest today.
 
Nights are the worst for me too. I'm a little disgusted I'm only four weeks out and I had to practically beg my Dr.'s PA for more Norco. I only need it at night. During the day I just take Tylenol and ibuprofen. But when night time rolls around the pain just ramps up. I've had more sleepless nights than I can count. Not to mention I am a side sleeper and I still have many issues with my first replacement from July 2014. Needless to say he did give it to me. If he wouldn't have I'm positive my family Dr would have.

Best wishes to you! Here's to getting the opportunity to dream.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you. I spent the entire day nauseated again. I'm so frustrated. the doctors office said it is just experimenting to find out what works for me. I have every conceivable drug known to man here and so far any of them seem to make me want to throw up. I cannot tell if it's the Tramadol or the Tylenol that is making me feel sick but I have been doing them together the last two days. They took me off the blood thinner and put me on baby aspirin in case that was what was making me ill. I always take the medication with food so that's not the problem. Will try again with tramadol alone. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
 
@donor
I've always had nausea problems taking any pain medications. Eating a meal before taking them never helped. One day I took a codeine with a glass of milk and for the first time that I can remember, I didn't get nauseated! I didn't read your entire thread, so I'm not sure if you've tried the milk yet. Thought I'd mention it just in case.
 
@donor So sorry to hear of your uncontrolled pain and nausea. I found that if my pain wasn't in control -- taking pain meds religiously -- The nauseous feeling would sneak in. So I was vigilant about taking the pain meds every 3-4 hours and the tylenol every 6 hours. I kept a log of every pill I took and when. At nighttime I would set the time for 3.5 hours so that I would stay on top of the pain. I never let the pain go over 3 on the pain scale because it'll be a 5-6 before you know it and the nausea would take over! This is a round the clock JOB. I filled my ice machine every nite and ran that all nite. I still use it especially as I move around more. Yes, the swelling migrated to my ankles and the back of my heel was so tender. But I was told to keep that ice going on my incision/thigh area and eventually it all clears up. To me it was like having a baby and getting up for feedings! I was lucky to sleep 3 hours at a time with both. HA My surgery was Apr 27th and I'm in my 6th week. I am happy now that I can sleep 5 hours straight. You'll find that the pain goes very quickly from pain to stiffness. It's all about giving yourself time to heal. And naps are a must! As I am able to do more now I DO have to remind myself and friends that I am still in recovery mode and not quite ready for prime time.
Sending you good thoughts on getting those meds under control and that you find comfort soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom