THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I've kept track of my times and meds just to see if something worked well. The doctor has given me a pharmacy just to have and experiment with. I find the norco type of meds make me feel the worst. I can only do half a pill of norco or percocet at a time but I truly feel sick. Even buffering first with zofran has not been a big success. When I find something that truly works I hopefully won't need it any longer. Sharing all your experiences has been so helpful I am grateful for you all.
 
@donor

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having this problem with nausea. I was going to ask if you were taking Zofran and there it is...you are. I had to deal with nausea when they switched me from Norco to Oxy, and it was one of the more negative experiences of this recovery. All best to you. I wish I had some useful advice!
 
@donor. I can relate... My first week was terrible with the drugs. I finally dropped the Tramadol altogether and went to just oxy and Tylenol and the nausea went away. I couldn't stand to smell, taste, see food. I only ate can't elope for a week and I kept telling my husband it tasted like hand lotion! I hope the meds get figured out for you soon. That can really put a damper on you mood!
 
Thank you @Zumbamama. ....yes it's been a struggle and depressing. The doctor's office says it's just a matter of experimenting to find the right mix. When this is all over I can retire and just sell my leftover meds, it's ridiculous how many bottles have here. Kidding aside...everyone is different and I just happen to be a drug lightweight. Since dropping the Tylenol with the tramadol I feel slightly better. I've never been able to do the oxy or norco. In this 17 day journey I've taken all of 2 pills of the big guns.....and bumbled thru with only tramadol and Tylenol otherwise. And of course ice ice baby. The nausea has been the biggest hindrance to this. Oh, and the initial constipation that was the worst. :shocked: today is a new day and I hope a better one. I understand the hand lotion cantaloupe. All I've wanted to eat has been pnut butter. I've lost several pounds thru this process and truly cannot wait for a decent nights sleep.
 
@Zumbamama

You just reminded me: when I was still in hospital and battling nausea when they switched me to oxy, I told the nurse that I would be a terrible recreational drug user. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would be terrible with recreational drugs too! I simply do not understand why anyone would want this feeling....but the feeling they get is NOT what we have experienced! :eeeuw:
 
@JulieJF I have been thinking the same thing..,... People PAY to be on this stuff for FUN??!!??!! No thanks!
@donor What I would pay ALOT for is a comfortable nights sleep! I'm still sleeping in the recliner and some poor soul has to sleep on the couch next to me in case I need to get out of the recliner to use the bathroom. My husband, son and daughter have been rotating this job.... They have been very good to me with this whole thing!
 
@Zumbamama I hope you got some sleep. Today I am going to find a cane. I have only crutches here and my one underarm is so sore I can't stand it any longer. :( I think I could do a cane but don't have one and my in home PT has been useless. I am getting around better but still doing tons of ice and laying around. Yesterday I did visit my office for a few minutes and felt a hint of what normal might be like. I manage a doctor's office in town and seeing everyone did my heart good. I am now bruised from all the hugs and the blood thinners. LOL. I was never able to do the pain meds and at day 18 I am hoping from here out the Tramadol and or Tylenol will keep me going....along with the ice. In this entire journey I have taken 2 narcotic pills and only halfs at a time. Just could never keep them down. I am a chemical lightweight. :hairpulling:
 
Progress. ...
[Bonesmart.org] Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015
 
I am a chemical lightweight.
I hear ya! I can't take any of the heavy duty pain killers. They either make me so loopy I can't function or very nauseous. Hope you find the right "cocktail". I went home on Aleve and Tylenol only. But if you are on blood thinning meds this would not be prescribed for you. You would need to discuss this with your doctor.
 
@Jaycey I hear you! For now and the last few days I've done it on 3 or 4 tramadol a day and icebergs as I call them. Even the 1000 Tylenol with the tramadol was making me nauseated. Today we will see how I do with the cane only. My underarm is so bruised from the crutch that it needs ice too.
 
One day at a time! Cane looks great. Just try it around the house first. Make sure you are totally confident without the crutch. Underarm crutches are a nightmare! Hope this works for you!
 
I have to say the four prong cane is kinda awkward. My armpit and elbow was really hurting from the crutch even tho I was walking upright. The cane will take a little getting used to and I can tell I'm putting more weight in my leg. Ice.
 
@donor nice cane!!! I love the 4 prongs at the end.... That will feel nice and stable. I've been doing all my walking around the house with my cane for the last few days and today I went for a pretty long walk outside with it. I was tired by the end but it felt pretty good!
It sounds like it was nice to see your co workers.... A little taste of normal! We will be back there soon! I can't wait!
 
Love your cane! I wondered about the 3 prong cane but decided to go with what my friend gave me. No sense spending more money!! Hopefully we both won't need our canes for long
 
I'm so discouraged I tweaked muscle in upper thigh trying to push up with the right leg. Still cannot go up stairs normally. It's the second time I have felt this awful pain in the same area. Today I'll use crutches and watch Redbox with extra ice. Day 19 but I'm frustrated. Hubby had to get me ice twice in the middle of the night. :(
 
@donor THR recovery will be a roller coaster ride for sure. You are approaching the 3 week post surgery and may be expecting too much. Read some of the post op posts -- most are pretty good about chronically their experiences. Also read through the links Sharonsip's May 24th above. I had to read through those many times to remind myself where I really was in recovery.
I just read through my thread and 3rd week I was still using pain med before activity and icing through the nite. At 6 weeks I am just finally able to sleep 4-5 hours during the night. And yes I am still icing. Last nite ar 1:30am I filled an old fashioned ice bag (don't forget to put a little water in the bag with the ice to last longer) for my upper thigh. As I become more active ice is my friend!:ice:
Keep those crutches, watch movies, and ice baby! So, what movies are you watching? any recommendations? I just watched Bill Murray in St Vincent (feel good) & Mr Turner (artist). Relax and let your body repair. Sending you good wishes for patience and a smooth recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@wcgirl thank you. I'll try to dial back today. I have read and reread everyone's postings. I am attached to this forum like glue. My in home care has been abysmal so without all of you I have been on my own . I can truly dig myself into a hole. Day 19 for me. :beer:
 
Day 20. Tomorrow is 3 week anniversary. When did you all feel comfortable going uptairs normally? I still cannot push off with much weight on the operated leg. There is still a very raw sore spot just left of the incision and it takes my breath away when I push it accidentally. I'm sure it's where they cranked my leg open to insert the implant....image of which still gives me the willies when I really think about it. My pt has been abysmal and I've been on my own. Just reading every word here on the forum to maintain my sanity! :rolleyes:
 
I'm day 20 as well... I use my cane still to go up the stairs. Why has the PT been so bad? Are you going to outpatient PT or is someone coming to your house?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom