THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The upper inner groin muscles that fire lifting leg into bed or car or doing pt exercises
I would suggest stopping whatever PT exercises you are doing and see if the groin pain improves. Hips don't need all that and many PT don't understand this. Rest, ice and elevate and see if this groin pain eases.
 
8 week check with PA today. She believes iliopsoas tendon is area of pain. She is less inclined to think it is generic post op pain but it could resolve itself who knows. Firm believer in physical therapy and movement. Spoke to her about my back pain and she injected my SI joint which was no picnic. I see the surgeon next week and we'll discuss the iliopsoas issue and get his take on it, she recommended an injection at 3 months post op if it has not resolved. Just not sure how I feel about all of this yet. Still icing and elevating 2-3 hours per day. Avoiding many pt exercises unless I am at actual apt, opting for walking and stationery bike in garage. Any thoughts would be welcome. @Josephine
 
So hard when here, the healing philosophy is so different from my OS. Just have to listen to body parts and adjust each day. :^/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh what a pile rubbish. Am so sorry you have this problem now. And an injection in your S1, just like that !! I would have to have prepared my self mentally first. ..for a few weeks!!

I am getting intermittent groin pain....but I think I did it again..
I did too much and keep forgetting what not to do..until I am caught in the act by my supervisors ..... kids... they keep telling me off:bignono:

Am thinking of you let us know what happens xxxxx
 
@Suzette we gotta keep the humor for sure. Injection was not expected but I went with it to keep back pain in check I hope. The rest of this will eventually sort out I pray. :)
 
@donor There is an article in our Library about this Iliopsoas syndrome . But the standard treatment for this seems to be limiting activities that bring it on - including PT. Is your PT pushing you at all. Maybe stop the stationary bike and just walk and rest. See if that eases this?
 
@Jaycey thank you didn't know about the article. I'll discuss with pt today. It's such a hard place to be when OS and PA say pt is key. I modify everything at home but have been on bike alot. Not much resistance just pedaling. All so confusing which leads me to panic a little in middle of the night. Thanks again. Xo
 
but have been on bike alot.
Hmmm... this could be your problem. Hips really don't need a lot of exercise - walking is the best for a new hippie. Do discuss with PT today. It's all counter productive if you are hurting yourself.
 
@Jaycey thank you I will talk to pt. Very frustrated this am. :^( needed pain pill and ice at 1am.
 
@Granny Di it was lydocaine and cortisone to calm the inflammation.
I find it interesting that your PA can inject cortisone and lydocaine -only the surgeon does that here. Now I am thinking I don't really know what a PA is. Is it a PT?
duh! LOL
 
"PA (physician's assistant) is a nationally certified and state-licensed medical professional. PAs practice medicine on healthcare teams with physicians and other providers. They practice and prescribe medication in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all U.S. territories, with the exception of Puerto Rico." (thus sayeth Google!)
 
(PA is) Firm believer in physical therapy and movement.
I'm a firm believer in movement but not PT because generally it is done to excess.
Spoke to her about my back pain and she injected my SI joint which was no picnic
You'd have been much better off seeing a chiropractor. Mines kept my back in good nick for years!
 
Thanks @Josephine but what's a person to do when they are in pain and discuss it with their OS and he says, you need PT, go here.....and you need to see PA to sort out back because it's all related? The PT woman is quite conservative but it's still PT with exercises. Its really hard because I have trusted him so far to do this huge operation....I would think/hope he knows what's best for my case? Very hard when I still hurt and struggle to find answers.
 
PA meaning came to me while making dinner -my brain is pretty foggy still -and probably forever. :groan:
@donor - I struggle with the same things - chiro to PT to dr - and really don't get the help I need. Now I realize I should have been sent to an arthritis specialist years ago. I blame myself for not articulating my aches and pains well enough. But then I hate taking pills and probably wouldn't have followed through anyway. I hope you get sorted out and have many good years ahead.
 
but what's a person to do when they are in pain and discuss it with their OS and he says, you need PT, go here.....and you need to see PA to sort out back because it's all related? Its really hard because I have trusted him so far to do this huge operation....I would think/hope he knows what's best for my case? Very hard when I still hurt and struggle to find answers.
I can imagine it is but you should remember this - you have to give consent for these things to be done which means it's your choice. You don't have to submit to these treatments without comment.Ask them what are the benefits and hazards, what percentage of them have good or poor outcomes. Only that way can you make an informed decision. They should at least allow you to make an informed decision and not except you to blindly comply just because they say so.

And another sad fact is that surgeons very often don't know or even have much interest in these 'minor' issues once the surgery has been done. I've had such discussions with numerous surgeons at conferences and most freely admit that they are somewhat out of their depth and even disinclined to spend much time and effort getting involved with something that will, in all likelihood, resolve itself in time.
 
@Josephine @Granny Di I understand completely. I did and do question everything! Heck I had 6 opinions before I finally decided to do my hip. Pretty much every one said I needed it. OS wants pt and I go...but I don't just do what I'm told without a thorough understanding . PT lady wants no pain and is very conservative so I like her. She is way more optimistic than PA who wants to do more injections. As for back, I was hurting and frustrated.... and trusted what OS recommend so consented. I guess I just trust my inner voice but it's been very confused over the last 8 weeks. Thanks for the comments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom