THR Newbie! Anterior hip on May 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
9 week anniversary of this piece of metal. I feel like I need a trophy or something. I see OS Thursday and I will be armed with a list of concerns and questions. PT says I am doing so much better and wishes I could see the improvement she does. She still reels me in......as I am chomping at the bit to be normal. She would like to see me walking less until the groin issue calms down..the groin pain will be addressed on Thursday. It's a dull but at times a snap sensation that I think about all the time. It's got me quite depressed which I'm sure is adding to the sleep and anxiety problems. 9 weeks feels like 9 years. Yesterday someone said.....wow Chris I thought you'd be over this by now. You must really regret doing it......:censored:
folks need to zip their lips. Over 9 weeks I've regretted this plenty. I pray and pray that maybe in another 9 weeks I will feel very different. Xo
 
I guess you don't want to hear me complain at 18 weeks @donor? :bignono:
I am impatient too so I understand completely . This morning my hubby and I put a bed together and with the groaning and grunting you would think we were fighting an army. The squatting has left my butt /upper back thighs aching -a brand new pain in the a--. I have to count my blessings and remind myself of what I could not do 5 months ago. And I am so glad I don't have to go to work! I totally admire people who are back working soon after the Big Op.
And yes people should be careful when they speak -I worry about writing something here that will offend.:holysheep:
Hope you get better real soon!
Diane
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@donor I share so many of your frustrations. It seems I am behind absolutely everyone else in my recovery and even friends are starting to give me odd looks. Anyway it seems I am happy to avoid people just so I don't have to explain why I'm not yet.....fill in the blank. I'm also getting a bit paranoid and think my OS is seeing me as a "bad" patient. At least he does not think PT can cure me like yours does. I know we shouldn't compare recoveries
but wanting so much to do your normal activities without pain makes it hard. Hope things pick up.
 
@Granny Di oh my gosh..... write anything you like! !! You will not offend me at all!!! And we are here to boost and hold each other up so fire away. :) I was not overly crippled before surgery, didn't have a limp etc but had a crappy hip, which did end my pilates and yoga classes and anything fun or joyful in my life. If I had been, perhaps the pain I have now I would welcome or at least understand. I remember one of the PAs telling me you will wake up with no pain and be thrilled you finally did it. I struggled to make this decision for 4+years and saw I think 6 docs for opinions. I was an axiety filled mess. Hubby tried to understand but he is the sort that when he decides on a surgery he jumps on the table and holds the scalpel for the doc...done deal. He could never come close to understanding my fear. I really thought I would be all better. ..or mostly by now. OS told me of a guy he recently did who went to work after 2 weeks. Maybe he was blowing smoke up my butt who knows or like @nochoice said....maybe I was marked the neurotic problem patient at that point. I had even seen him for over 2 years and had every single possible alternative procedure in the book. I guess at this point we know we are all recovering differently. I compare myself to some people here and want to crawl in a hole. But I wave my pompoms for you! I am hesitant to talk about my pain and fear to my husband because he's tired of it.... and much as I try I cannot always slap on a smile because I am not close to better and now I have a different anxiety. I could write an entire book here and I'm sorry for those of you have gotten this far. :^/ Anyone who has read this has helped me get to 9 weeks and I am here for you still...scream, yell, cry, rejoice...whatever you need. I'll report in after OS apt Thurs am. Sending hugs from CA.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@donor - You must have been in pretty good shape if you were doing yoga and pilates. I just read your whole thread and I gather you have some osteoporosis? Or was it arthritis that caused your problems? Anyway I think you are doing very well. I still haven't got full range of motion and never will according to the OS. We are all impatient to be normal even though we are at varying stages of healing. I still take tylenol but I read some stuff on tylenol and alcohol and now I am worried about liver and kidney disease. I had a beer everyday after the surgery and before too and I was on tylenol. During the Patagonia hike I was in such pain I was tossing down Arthrotech and tylenol by the handfuls and drinking wine and beer too. Oh my poor kidneys! There was a dr on the trip that said it was okay -other wise I could not have made it out unless I rode a horse. :horseriding:
We had hiked for 4 days and were supposed to be picked up by boat, have two days of low key sightseeing and travelling to Argentina, but the boat couldn't come so we had to hike back 16 kms to a different lake and take a boat to the bus. That did me in. I was in tears by the end and could not do the 3 last hikes in Argentina. Worst trip of my life and the most expensive.:bawl:
Enough about me - you are amazing! The nausea you put up with was awful and you didn't get any help which is terrible too. You are pretty tough in my opinion -and you have been through back ops too so I can understand the anxiety about the THR.
Also you went back to work early! :wow: I have been retired since 2001 so I had lots of time to exercise and get fit for the last 14 years. I cannot imagine going to work after a THR and having to sit at a desk or do physical work like many on the forum. I sit for a while and then I get up and walk around and repeat. I nap a lot too.
So stay strong and you will be pain free one day soon.
Hugs
Diane
 
@donor Happy 9 week hip anniversary. It is a bittersweet one isn't it? I hope your groin pain is subsiding~I have pain too but I can't tell you where because it moves. Some days its my thigh, other days its the groin, one day it might be the scar. Crazy how our bodies adjust to healing after major surgery. I am hoping you get good answers from you OS and a good plan to help you feel better. UGH! I hate that someone actually said to you that you must regret the surgery............ what the heck?! Such a lovely support person~ NOT! I am hoping for the day I forget I had the surgery and have heard it can be a year. We are pulling for you @donor!
 
@Sullivand @Granny Di ..... I have just assumed the elevation and ice position for the evening and read your comments on my thread. Thank you so kindly for your wonderful inspiring words and for waving a pom pom in my direction! Xoxoxox. I was not doing any exercise at all other than walking for over a year. I have maintain my gym membership but never walked in the door since my hip took a bad turn. Yes I have osteoporosis that is the next thing I have to deal with at 3 months post op according to the endocrinologist. And then there's menopause but lets not talk about that. Lol. Yes I have had 3 spine surgeries all due to some genetic abnormality in the discs so yes when my back flared up I went into a deep black hole of depression. Thank God it is feeling better. Yes I went back to work only half days at week 4. If I had a long commute or a boss who was unreasonable I could not have done that. I manage the office so I kind of AM the boss and I feel very responsible for what happens there. @Granny Di your vacation and hip injury sounds horrifying to have that happen in a foreign country. It was horrifying enough here in my own country to have to deal with this. @Sullivand I have read everything you posted about your journey and it just proves how resilient you are. We are all at different stages of the same journey and because of that I feel an amazing kinship to people I don't even know. I'll let you know how OS visit goes tomorrow. ♡♡♡
 
@donor @Granny Di and @Sullivand I agree with you all 100%. This hip replacement has been quite the journey. So here comes a rant. I try to be positive most of the time but I am deeply afraid this is as good as it gets. The days I have PT or even swim I am hurting a bunch at night. I am so glad I am retired because I don't see how I could ever work. Yes I am better than before surgery but I am still limited as to what I can do. I can accomplish with great effort, time, and misery a good deal of household chores. I worry a lot about restrictions, dislocations, and revisions as time goes on for not only the hip but knees as well. Some folks breeze through this effortless. I feel like a tumbling rock gathering up all kinds of aches and pains. I feel like I am such a burden to others too. Pity party here and I feel like I am in the middle of the recovery spectrum. There are a bunch better and a bunch worse off. Good thing we can talk to each other. I hope our stories will be different a year from now. Tomorrow is a PT evaluation and I really think I should just be done. I can not imagine doing this again for the right hip. I will baby it forever. Thanks for listening. I can sum up myself tonight as an angry mess. Hugs
 
@sunbunny my dear hippie....you may rant or cry over here any time. I cannot believe this is as good as it gets. My pt lady says we will be different in 6 months and even better in a year. I have to believe this. Are you taking anything for discomfort at this point? You are a few weeks before me but maybe the evening pain needs to be addressed still. I understand your fear for sure. Are you able to have a heart to heart talk with your OS? When was your last appointment? I am hoping your pt evaluation tomorrow shows some hope and promise. After reading your thread I see how far you have come. Easy for someone else to see, I am the same way. I have decided to take a tramadol at night for a while. My insomnia and sleeplessness is not helping anything. You are right, we are here to help each other....even if that is only to listen and cheer for each other when the real world doesn't understand. Hugs from CA
 
"If I had a long commute or a boss who was unreasonable I could not have done that."

precisely why my OS wrote me off when for the next 1.5 mos. 1-2 hr commute each way, a physical job, and a boss who wouldn't even describe the duties I'd be doing if I returned before restrictions lifted.

Hon- you know I would not be where I am without my Chiro. I can't make you go but I'm about to!!!! ;)
It ain't cheap without insurance coverage, but after sooo many horror stories for those who perform too much activity too soon, on their own accord, or by listening to PT/OS, I'm going slow. Pop on over to my land to check out how my 5 wk check in with OS panned out.

Just keep listening to your body, honoring the insight you gain from aches and pains showing you that something isn't right, and look into Chiro, acupressure, etc.

Love and hugs!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@donor thank you. My I was a mess of yuk last night. Yes I still have meds but use them wisely as OS said make them last. Mostly at night and cut in half. You are right for some the recovery is slower and not to judge until a year out. I have to laugh about OS it seems he refers his patients to the PA. I do send patient emails but I am pretty sure they are being addressed by his PA too. I was reading another thread last night and I felt so bad about my post after reading her journey. PT has helped and I work with two very nice girls. I really am making progress. I just want my candy now. Lol, I have been on grandmom duty this week. Hugs and thanks for the sound advice.
 
@sunbunny @Tweefishy Go ahead a be a mess, we all have been from time to time!!!!!! and yay for little Fish.....that doctor knows what is best for you and your employer does NOT!@!!!! I love the McGuyver aparatus on your thread....we have to be imginative! I will report back, getting myself together with my page of notes for OS appointment. xoxo
 
OS is happy with surgery, implant and xrays. I have a wicked psoas tendonitis apparently and he is setting me up with a PT person who specializes in tissue problems. OS thinks stretching should be the focus not traditional PT exercises, which I am not doing anyway. It was very inflamed and he confirmed by the ultrasound. Just not happy about all of this. Heading off to my last PT apt. with the current folks. He feels the anxiety and sleeplessness will resolve when I really see that I can feel better.
 
Hi @donor I am sooo happy all is ok with the implant and that the you have a proper diagnosis and can move forward with a PT who can help you stretch. Hopefully you WILL start to feel better in your self once things start to settle down. Did he give you any indication of how long these things take?

xx
 
@Suzette he was careful not to really say a timeline, but he did recommend strongly the ultrasound guided injection so I went ahead with that. I think it is feeling better already...but I don't even want to say that outloud. I am home now and going to assume the ice position just as soon as I finish typing. Thanks for the kind words of support. xo
 
hi @donor I hope you have your feet up icing. That's great you had some treatment whilst you were there, fingers crossed and don't say it out loud just yet , I do that too. So rest well and speak tomorrow xox
 
@donor I am so pleased for you that your OS listened to you and took your concerns to heart. I am glad you have some answers and will approach your recovery as you need and hopefully the new PT will be the answer to less pain along with the procedure you had in the office! :fingersx:
 
Had right hip done Tuesday it's Sunday now. 2 nights in hospital with wicked nausea....that was bad despite all the anti nausea meds. Came home Thursday noon. Then the constipation really hit even with the colace and Mirilax. Omg! Home nurse came yesterday and I learned absolutely nothing more than I already knew. Being a holiday weekend no one will see me until Wed or Thursday next week so I'm comforted to find you guys here. This am I have new ankle swelling which is a bit scary. My leg has been very swollen and tight but ankle just started this am. I was told to walk and move as tolerated but now am just elevating until someone calls me from doctor service. Would love a little hands holding or talking to someone who has been here too. I'm in Bay Area in CA. Thanks so much for listening.
Chris

Hi Chris. I do know what it is like. I had a right hip replacement on June 8. The second week I was home from hospital was the worst week for me. My top and back of the right leg went all black/blue and was super sore. My back of the right leg was really tight and then on top of that, my right ankle started swelling also. It does help to do the foot stretches and pumping the ankle back and forth. This will help to stretch the foot and not become too tight. The swelling will go down - in time. I stopped taking my pills when found out that they would not do anything for the pain. What did help the pain was A535 cream - Antiphlogestine. What I found which did help was rubbing the foot just behind the ankle bone. I know it is sore - that is the referral area of the hip. The more you lightly rub that area, the less pain you will be in. I took up reflexology some years ago and found that this also really helps my hip tool. A little rub each day will help the hip in the long run.
Linda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom