Guest viewing is limited

TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

I have had a rough morning too ((and yesterday seemed so good)! I guess that is how it is. My knee felt like there was a little person inside my knee kicking and punching it from the inside....

Luckily I am a craft person, so I will be working on my sea glass jewelry, I have an adult colori g book and I am going to start my Fantasy Football research for the draft (I play a few yahoo free leagues)...

I have my first home PT today. Hope you are feeling better as well.
 
@KarriB I haven't ventured out into the yard yet. I think/hope I will be progressing to a cane today, there is an area of the back yard that is flat so that will be nice. I also set up my back patio so that I can sit out there, just been too hot the last couple of days. It's supposed to be more comfortable humidity wise at the end of the week.

@wings If I had a beach house, I would be doing my recovery THERE lol!!!

@Raffs I do spend a lot of time here on BS. It's funny because around 3am here must be morning for you and @CATSMUM and I see you both posting to everyone's threads. Makes me smile :)
 
We're about 5 hours ahead of the USA, depending on where you are, so yep, it would be morning here. The Raffs and l read through the overnight posts religiously!!
In the early days of my recovery I'd be posting in the early hours of the morning too!!
 
@CATSMUM Its comforting in the wee hours of the morning that I can say 'hey my Brit BS peeps are up' lol.
 
Always like to see how our cousins across the pond are getting on with their recovery. Bonesmart is such a great place to check into.
 
Hey Bridget, how did PT go? How you feeling? I had a horrible experience and a mini meltdown... Not a great day here:-( but you have such a great rom already, hope they helped you through your exercises... I'm icing and elevating now...
 
PT came this afternoon. Was ok but my knee is pretty sore. He had me lay on my stomach and then stretched my knee back, he didn't stretch it to the point of pain, stopped when I said stop so that was good but not sure I really liked that kind of stretch. Went up and down the stairs once. Did a few standing exercises then had me walk with a cane. I am so uncoordinated lol but feel that I don't need the walker. That was pretty much it. He feels he is limited in what he can do for me at home and will only be coming a few more times. Icing now...
 
Ugh, it was months before I felt comfortable laying on my stomach. My PT would have me lay on the table with my leg hanging off the side and he wanted me to push it back as far as I could without hands. It actually felt good and I'd do it on the side of my bed (I have a high bed). It really stretched out my tight quad muscles.
 
Happy 1 week birthday to my new knee!! Couple of questions today.....So I read that some are using compression sleeves for the swelling. Is there a certain type you are using? When in recovery would the sleeve be appropriate? I think I'm doing ok walking around the house with the cane, feel pretty comfortable with it and my doggie is happy that I'm not running him over with walker during the night lol. I'm still taking my oxy just about every 4 hours, I definitely really need it. It does not make me sleepy at all and that's my biggest problem right now. I....cannot....sleep. I had a couple of fitful hours last night and do not nap during the day. The last good sleep I had was Saturday, I slept all day and night. My hubby has Xanax and offered to give me 1 or just a half but I'm afraid of mixing that with my pain meds/muscle relaxer. I am terrified of losing my balance and falling or being out of it with the mix of meds. I don't even want to try Tylenol pm because i just don't know how the Benadryl will mix with the pain meds. I've used melatonin in the past. Do you think it will mix with the pain meds?
 
I did not sleep well for the first 4 weeks, although it did get better. When I absolutely had to sleep at night when I returned to work I added Tylenol PM (2 tabs of extra strength, so 1000 mg) to my Robaxin and my percocet at night. Just be careful not to take a total of more than 4000 mg of acetaminophen during one day. So had to consider the acetaminophen in the percocet. That worked great, and after a week my body remembered how to sleep. I will be 6 weeks out Thursday, and still not perfect sleep, but loads better, and now rarely take any pain or sleep meds. Exception was last night when my IT band just would not shut up, so took a percocet. For now, nap, doze, rest, sleep whenever you can. Your body needs all it can get in the early days.
 
They also have the sleep tabs without the acetaminophen or the simply sleep. I take these just so Ivan sleep (otherwise I would be up all night too!)
 
I do benadryl every night otherwise I would never sleep.. I haven't had a problem.. They gave me benadryl in the hospital too

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Take something to sleep. I often napped during the day, but night was terrible. I did take Tylenol pm to sleep and I've seen some here take Melatonin. Pain meds are crucial the first few weeks as you need to stay ahead of the pain.
 
Happy to report that I finally got some sleep last night yay! It wasn't straight through wonderful sleep but broken up into blocks. I would get up, take a pain pill, use the bathroom, whatever but then was able to fall back to sleep pretty quickly. Feel better today as far as that goes. My stomach on the other hand....thought it was feeling better but today not so much. I usually have a nice cup of coffee first thing in the morning but have not been able to drink but a few sips, just makes me nauseous, think I'm just going to skip it. Before surgery I took naturethroid twice daily, toprol once daily, vit D, and occasional pain pill. I now take TEN daily morning meds, 3 at night, plus pain med and muscle relaxer. Everything new is ordered by my OS and I know I won't be on these meds forever but I can see how people lose weight after TKR, I have absolutely no appetite.
 
I took a lot at first also. So many that I changed to chewable vitamins!
 
Blocks of sleep are fairly typical. It was for me.
 
PT came today, he thinks he will only do 2 more home sessions and then I will be referred for outpatient PT. It was a pretty good session. First he did gentle extension and flexion stretches. The extension is easy because I am at 0, the flexion he stretches just to the point of discomfort. He hasn't measured but is guesstimating my flexion at around 120. We walked outside with the cane, down the driveway and then back up. I was able to get in and out of my car fairly easily. It made me so happy to go be able to go down my driveway, now I won't worry about getting to my appointment next week plus it will be great to take short walks. I have a recumbent bike so I told him I got on it yesterday and just rocked the pedals. That really stretched me out and felt so good afterward. He adjusted the seat and I was able to do full revolutions front and back after rocking the pedals a little. I only did a few front and back very slowly, I really didn't want to overdo it. The stretch from the bike feels really good. After that he was finished and I am resting with my ice wrap. I am pooped now but I feel that it was a very good afternoon.
 
Back
Top Bottom