TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

Yay! It sounds like a VERY productive day for you! I can't even imagine the bike yet:yikes: but my flex is only 80 and it is soooo stiff... But doing my CPM machine daily. Hopefully this will make you sleep like a baby tonight :sleep:
 
@Poz222 I was so surprised to be able to pedal, I mostly hopped on yesterday just to rock the pedals and stretch. The stretch felt unbelievable, of course the knee still feels stiff because of the swelling. My movement in my legs had been so impaired for months before the surgery due to pain that being able to do even the little exercises I'm doing just feels good for both legs. I sure hope I wiped myself out enough to sleep well tonight!!

So you're up to 80 already? Good for you Christeen!!
 
Stiff and sore = ice and elevation today :elevate:
 
I guess the stretch not feeling so unbelievable today :bricks: I find it frustrating to consciously underachieve and do less... And we are the ones who pay for overdoing it! Hope you feel better, just rest, elevate and ice and take it easy today...
 
Not sure if it was the bike or the other things PT had me do, I did alot yesterday. I rested this morning, took a muscle relaxer which I stupidly did not take last night (along with my trillion other meds lol) and felt much better. So much better that I hopped on my bike but only for about 4 minutes doing very slow revolutions. It feels....productive, lol, hard to explain. Only other thing I did were a few calf stretches, felt a little tight. Other than that I rested today. To me, I feel a little bit stronger every day. My knee still feels tight, because well it's still swollen. But it's not horrible by any means. I have to say that before my surgery, I could barely walk so just to be able to walk around the house without lurching (granted I'm using a cane) and virtually pain free is amazing to me. This new knee feels a thousand times better than the knee I had 2 weeks ago and it can only get better. I'm looking forward to seeing my OS next week for my 2 week follow up...
 
Spent a quiet day today, was raining this morning so I cuddled up on the couch and watched TV. Since my family would not get up, I made myself some pancakes, then ended up making some for my son when he got up. My hubby and son are not really the pampering type, I think I got 4-5 days and then I was pretty much on my own. Love them to pieces but that's the way it is. I am back to washing dishes, taking care of the dog, folding laundry, and making easy meals. Hubby and I took a very short walk today, down the driveway and past 4 houses then back. It was such a little distance but it was enough and I am icing right now. Did a few slow revolutions on my bike earlier. Pain has been good today, haven't needed anything since this morning. Still sleeping in blocks but sleeping well. I can't wait to get the aquacel bandage off on Wednesday, I feel that when I bend my knee, it pulls. Back to watching TV lol...
 
I got maybe 4-5 days from my husband, too. Seems to be the norm more often than not.
 
Ooooooooo outside :wow: One day I too will go,there!! Good for you! You are really moving along! My hubby is a great pamperer so I am taking advantage while I can :wink: I get my staples out Thursday. I am really starting to feel the pull too... I am sure I will be sooooo ready by then.
 
As nice as it was to be outside, I was surprised at how short a walk it was before I said 'lets turn around'. I will take the walking very slowly. I do not want to overdo it!!
 
Not too much new this weekend. Mostly just resting. Hopefully will go for a small walk outside again today. Watched way to much TV, 2 seasons of The Great Food Truck Race, various movies. No new issues to report. Bruising still impressive but starting to resolve. Looking forward to seeing my OS on Wednesday, getting the bandage removed and hopefully a referral to outpatient PT.
 
Glad your doing good... Yes, I am over the TV thing, a friend gave me an adult coloring book so I am having fun coloring! I don't have much bruising at all but a LOT of swelling... I am doing some in-house walking (it is like 95 degrees with 100% humidity outside, no thank you!). Have a great Sunday!!
 
@bdink21 , glad you have had a restful weekend. I've got my pre-op/pre-anesthesia appt. tomorrow as well as one with my cardiologist. Not expecting any surprises.
 
@wings Good luck with your appointments. September will be here before you know it...
 
Why are the nights so difficult?? 4am seems to be my magic time, I wake up at this time every day. Around 11p-midnight, I settle in. I take oxycodone 5mg plus a robaxin but then my knee wakes me up every hour or 2 and then at 4am I'm generally up for a while. I use ice during the night too. Still not in my own bed, maybe that's the problem. Maybe I'll try my own bed tonight and see how that goes.....

I was able to take another short walk outside with my hubby last night. We got one house further before I decided to turn around. My knee gives me a little jolt and that tells me it's almost had enough. Other than that I'm just plugging along. Had to resume many of my former chores but I do them in chunks with lots of rest before and after, I haven't felt as though I have done too much yet, I'm trying to be very careful. I have to drive to my OS appointment on Wednesday so I'm seeing if I can just take Tylenol during the day. So far so good. My right knee has started acting up a bit, I'm hoping it settles down because it needs to carry me a little further. I had the cortisone injection during surgery, so only 2 weeks and it's starting to wear off :(.
 
Sorry your not sleeping...lack of sleep wears on you. I would definetly give your bed a try, maybe just psychologically it will help you sleep better... I can't believe you are going to drive already!! I am dreading having to RIDE in a car to the doctors office on Thursday, let alone DRIVE one! I guess I am really waaaay behind where you are... Are you sure your not pushing it too hard too soon? Be careful and Don't do so much you set yourself back.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well apart from the sleeping which, as we know, is a major issue for many on here. I'm with you re the other knee - mine is grinding and creaking a lot. Sigh. Keep on doing what you're doing as you seem to be making good progress - yay!
 
@Poz222 whether I'm ready or not, it is what it is. I'm able to get in and out of the car no problem. Based on the day of discharge from the hospital I was terrified to even try getting in the car. Surprisingly it was much easier than I thought. Don't sell yourself short, you've come a long way in the past 10 days too. Plus it's my left knee. If it was the right I'm positive that I would have needed to arrange a ride. My head is very clear so that's not a problem either. I'm going to do a test drive today and take my son to football practice just up the street.

I really pay close attention to what my knee is telling me and I take LOTS of rest breaks. During the day my pain has been minimal the past few days, it's night when the knee seems to be more vocal lol and also I appear to have restless legs. I can't stress enough the difference between now and pre-op. I was barely getting through my day, lots of tears during those days, and so much pain. As my knee is right now I'd be able to get through my work day better.
 
Sleep is a big problem for me too. If I give in and take a percocet, I am gold. That started being the case at about 6 weeks out. I would wake up a minute just to reposition, but drop right back off. But I want to be normal, darn it! Last night I held out until 2am, then took the percocet (as I had to get up for work at 6am). Readimg over this I see how foolish I am being. I need to take the stupid pill and get some sleep.

Like you, at first I got sleep in two hour stretches. It does get better. Slowly. Sleep and a too-often twinge from my IT band are my only complaints. I took a muscle relaxer for the first few weeks. Made those oh so painful spasms disappear.
 
So not sure what I did but the back of my knee was so painful last night that I could not sleep (again :bawl:). It felt like the back of my knee was so tight, I was trying to stretch it out by hanging my knee over the side of the bed/couch while on my tummy and trying to stretch my hamstrings. Pretty sure da knee did not like that and decided to keep me up all night long. Nothing helped. Not ice, pain meds, nada. If I happened to fall asleep for a few minutes with my leg straight, OMG it screamed that it did not like that. I know heat is not a good thing so early in the game but I have one of those herbal packs that you can heat in the microwave and have it under my knee right now, feels good at the moment. Any other suggestions?
 
Back
Top Bottom