Guest viewing is limited

TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

So sorry you knee is protesting! Being awake all night really is torture and lack of sleep makes everything else during the day that much more difficult! Cant say anything about heat therapy as I have not tried heat yet... my knee is so hot most of time you can toast marshmallows over it ...lol... (Sorry if my joking offends anyone not trying to insult anyone).
But seriously, try different things to see what gives you the relief, but for sure take it EASY today and give the knee some recovery time... It will thank you later! U sleeping in the bed yet? Hope you feel better and get some :sleep::sleep:
 
Heat on the muscles can definitely feel good, but I never put heat on the knee itself.
 
@kneeper I used it more back of knee on the lower part of the hamstrings where I think I pulled something a little when stretching. I would never put it on my knee at this point, still far to new. The heat did feel good on whatever I pulled.

Took my morning meloxicam, some ES Tylenol and was able to take like a 4 hour nap. Feel much better now. PT came, we just walked a little outside today and massaged the back of my knee. Not doing anything else today. I tried sleeping in my own bed last night, lasted about 30 minutes before I had to come back downstairs. But I think that's more related to whatever I strained. I'll try the bed again when the back of my knee feels better.
 
Happy Wednesday! I went for my 2 week follow up with my OS, saw the PA today. He removed the aquacel bandage. My incision looks pretty good, I have glue. Edges are together and the PA was pleased with how it looks. I can't wait to shower tonight and get all of the betadine off of it. He's also very happy with my ROM. He eyeballed it at about 110 with no effort at all. Extension is 0. I have the ok for outpatient PT so I will finish with home care PT tomorrow and then start next week.

Sleep remains elusive, I will try Tylenol PM tonight. After my appointment I went to a smallish grocery store for a few things. I took it slow and did very well. I'm making a pot roast for dinner tonite yum. It's so easy and basically a one pot dish. I just can't live on sandwiches and hot dogs lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! Looking up... Now your on your way!! 110 with no effort... I'm so jealous :tantrum: Lol... Just kidding, Great Job!
 
Pot roast sounds great! Love your report. You are doing so well.
 
@Slainte The pot roast was awesome!! One of my favorite comfort foods, so good. Hubby says he's cooking tomorrow so glad I ate well tonight :rotfl:. I feel pretty good tonight. Now if I can just SLEEP.......
 
These comfort foods are really, really essential now. Anything that you can bring your comfort and re-assurance, as well and nourish your body and soul----are certainly needed during this time in recovery.
Sleep remains elusive,
I also had some severe sleep issues that cause tremendous amounts of frustration. I actually began to dread the coming of night.

I would fall asleep for an hour or so, then I would awake and I could not get comfortable. I was like Diogenes, but instead of looking fro one honest man, I was looking for one good night's sleep. I would wander around the home looking for a comfortable place to sleep. I would go to the guest bedroom, the sofa, the futon, and then finally, in a fit of desperation, I would throw the futon mattress onto the floor and literally crash there. (I also watched a great deal of Law and Order reruns.)

I actually found this forum on one of my late-night forays---and it did take Ambien ten nights, but I did re-establish my sleep pattern. I understand what you are going through, and it will get better! Hang in there!
 
Well, I'm up at my usual early hour but the good thing is that I slept fairly well last night. So well, that I didn't even take the Tylenol PM. I think I actually had a good 5-6 hour stretch of sleep! Bliss! My knee woke me up as usual asking for some pain medication and ice. So I'm just catching up on Bonesmart and waiting for the meds to kick in. I have to get up in a little while anyways, I was exhausted last night and did not get my son's stuff ready for school. Still have to iron clothes and make his lunch then comes the fun part of trying to get him out of bed. He is not a morning person!! PT is coming at 930a and I think this will be my last home PT. I'll make an appointment to start outpatient therapy next week. I really, really would like to get my hair cut and colored. I had an appointment for the Sunday before my surgery but my hairdresser called out due to babysitting issues and I'd rather not go to anyone else. I'm just not sure I can sit with my leg down for that long.

Have a great day everyone!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for sleep.....! Happy you got a few hours of shut eye. Thank goodness I not have kids at home, they would be wrinkled, starved, uneducated and still asleep cause ain't no way I would be able to iron, cook and motivate them!, LOL ... of course I am here monitoring the weather in case we need to prepare the house for hurricane Erika!! Yay, just what I need! A week with no power!

Btw, How's the knee feel without the bandage? More free or sensetive? I get My staples out today when I go to see my OS. I will let u know...
 
@Poz222 my incision looks great. Very thin and looks good in the spots where the glue has fallen off. The glue is already peeling off a lot and when it's gone I'll take a pic. The knee cap is still very puffy, feels squishy and weird. I don't have that pulling feeling anymore, I think the bandage was pulling on my growing leg hairs lol. It doesn't bend any further though I'm sad to say but PT measured me today at 115 so I'm not complaining. I'll have the home PT for 1 more week then go to outpatient PT. The skin doesn't feel more sensitive, just numb on outer side of my kneecap.

Good luck today with your staples!!
 
@wings thanks for asking!! Today, well now yesterday since it's going on 1am, I slept mostly until like 1pm with exception of getting up in the morning to get my son off to school. I think all of those sleepless nights have caught up with me and I am just exhausted. I did my PT exercises and about 5mins of slow peddling on my bike. I seem to tolerate that with no problems. I went on an adventure today lol, went to the hairdresser for a cut and color. I tried to go the Sunday before my surgery but she was out due to sick baby at home. I was feeling awful with my stringy hair and gray roots and knew that would cheer me up. They were awesome at the salon! Gave me some boxes so that I could elevate my leg. I did ok but at the end I was ready to not be sitting in a chair anymore. I did little else for the night and judging from how wide awake I am feeling, I'll probably be up for a while. Tomorrow, well today now, I plan on taking a walk, supposed to be a gorgeous day.
 
:thumb::thumb: Two thumbs up on your adventure to the salon. Glad you got some zzzzzz's yesterday. I took tramadol last night and slept better than I have in months. Having my first cup of coffee. I'm in the midst of pre-op prep for the house - getting all the things done which should have been done months ago - like deck board replacement, lights replaced in a high ceiling and fresh paint in the room that will be my hangout.

Hope your walk today is excellent!
 
Yes I did some pre-op nesting too. I'm glad I didn't buy too many gadgets for recovery, I really didn't need them but I know that not always the case. My father lent me his walker (yes, I borrowed my FATHER's walker lol) and a raised toilet seat which I never used. I got my cane from the hospital and I purchased a freestanding toilet rail for the upstairs bathroom which is helpful but I barely use because my home base is on the 1st floor. I also bought a nice ice wrap. I didn't get a shower chair and never really needed one, I just held on for dear life. I figured I would see how I was first and if I needed something I would get it. I had planned on sleeping in my bed but my knee said um, NO. So I spend my days in the recliner and sleep on the couch. You'll figure out quickly what works for you.

I don't have any major plans for today. I'll be taking my walk later, it was chilly out this morning, only 58 degrees! Some light housework, make an easy dinner. My sisters are coming over next Friday night, I'm so looking forward to that! Good food, laughs, maybe a drink or 2 lol. Pain is good, I only took 1 oxycodone over night. I have some Vicodin which is less potent and I'm going to try that today. Hope everyone has a sparkling weekend!!
 
58 degrees - that's winter weather! :rotfl:

enjoy your weekend!
 
I know....ugh...I'm not ready for cold weather. Supposed to get a little heat wave next week though.
 
We cooled off to the 90's. That's good - 80's are going to be great!
 
I just read through your whole thread and it made me smile. Great attitude and great progress!
 
Back
Top Bottom