TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

If i am not mistaken, Oxycodone is vicadin, hydrocodone is percocet and oxycontin is a much stronger drug than the other 2 and a different base drug? I am sure someone here with more medical knowledge can clarify.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Vicodin is hydrocodone plus Tylenol. Oxycodone is oxycodone and Percocet is oxycodone plus Tylenol. Oxycontin is long acting or slow release oxycodone. I'm a hospice nurse and deal with pain management all of the time. Vicodin is the weaker pain med.
 
OK. .. that straightens it out. All the names and such always confuses me. When I hurt I just want a pill that makes hurt go away... lol

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
Take your meds as prescribed right at first. My OS prescribed 50 oxycodone with a prescription to take two every 6 hours. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that those would only last a bit over 6 days. But he was great about giving me 40 more two or three more times - in fact the last refill I haven't had to touch. Just got it in case I might need it. Do not back off those pain meds yet. You will heal faster with them.
 
Thanks for the reassurance. It took all day yesterday to get my pain under control and I don't want to go back there. In other news, I am getting quite the impressive amount of bruising around my knee and going down my leg. Normal??
 
You will probably need something before you're due to see your doctor again, so that will be something you'll need to watch for and call with a couple days time to allow a written prescription (they can't call in narcotics) for you to pick up (or get mailed to you). If you are ready for a non-narcotic, they can call that one in.

That bruising is entirely normal. You'll observe quite the palette over the next few weeks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's what I thought. I definitely won't have enough to make it til my appointment.
 
My dr prescribed the oxycontin twice a day for a month... Then i take percocet (oxycodone with Tylenol) 5/325 1-2 every for hours as needed and oxycodone 5 mg 1-2 every 4 hrs... I usually get 5-6 hrs with one percocet during the day with one oxycodone in between rotating every 6 hrs.. Then at night I do them full side every 4 hrs... I'm 3 weeks out bilateral tkr.. I don't let the pain get over me or I find I get behind

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Yes I definitely don't want that to happen again. I needed dilaudid injections to catch me up yesterday and that's not an option today now that I'm home. I think I'm just a little nervous being home for the first night with no doctor or nurses checking in on me. Even though I am a nurse, ortho is not my area of expertise.
 
One thing I took from here is to not try to be superwoman.. I find it makes life easier. You think about what they did... We need time and pain control to recover

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
But you'll know when something isn't right, Bridget. Don't worry.
 
Tried to get comfy in my bed but came back downstairs to the couch. I will keep my hubby up all night long cuz I am up and down, TV on then off, hot then cold, and on and on. Spending tonight down on the couch, hopefully I get some sleep. I'm going to have my son clean his room tomorrow and get the TV set up there then I'll take his room and he can sleep in my room. Anyone else find it difficult to get comfortable at night?
 
Every night. Pre TKR, I would fall asleep on my right side with a pillow between my knees, and then at some point in the night I would roll over to the left side, didn't need the pillow on that side. I'm a "lazy" sleeper, don't normally do much moving once I'm asleep. Since the surgery, I try lying on my right side, but cannot usually get the pillow in the right position to keep my operated knee comfortable, so end up sleeping on the left side most of the night. This causes me to wake up with neck pain on that side and sometimes a headache, have some cervical disk arthritis. I've been drinking more, so I'm up more, also need to refill my ice machine sometime in the night. If I'm lucky, the call of the bathroom will coincide with my next scheduled dose of pain med, and more ice in the machine. Other nights, I toss and turn all night. I've offered to move into a guest bedroom across the hall, but my husband says it doesn't bother him.
 
Bruising is very normal, mine was from thigh to ankle. Arnica tablets are excellent for controlling bruising. I also had problems sleeping and getting comfortable, it's normal.
 
Wow those bruises are impressive. Yep mine are starting to look like that. I think I'll try the witch hazel suggestion. After I got settled on the couch I was able to get some sleep. I even was able to sleep on my right side with a pillow between my legs yay. I woke up in the middle of the night for my pain meds. Pain seems well controlled now. I have noticed some buckling of my knee when walking that started last night. I am using a walker for now. The buckling was a little scary. Interesting how many new things a day brings. Looking forward to PT this afternoon, should be here around 230. Also my mom is coming to make dinner and my sister is stopping by as well. Time to ice. Check in later.....
 
Restless at home is still a million times better than restless in hospital! I go home this afternoon YAY@

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
 
@bdink21, Love reading your recovery thread. Sorry you had restless night and noticed you are already going up and down stairs. That's impressive and I'm interested as we have stairs. Are you using crutches for stairs? When I inquired about crutches, PA said you will have a walker. I'm thinking of purchasing crutches anyway.

Nice you have family nearby! During recovery, our dinners will be takeout or protein drinks for me. The extent of my husband's cooking is sandwiches :heehee:.

Glad you are home.
 
@SDkate Such a true statement.

@wings I practiced stairs at hospital PT with a cane. Someone brings the walker up then follows me up and goes in front of me down after bringing the walker down. I already went up and down once today so that's enough especially if I sleep downstairs again. Up is easy, little scary on the down. I go very slowly. Hubby slept thru making dinner last night so my lovely son made me 2 hot dogs on the grill, no buns, and a dish of watermelon. Heavenly after the horrible hospital food. My stomach still isn't right, on so many new meds and the laxatives they gave me are still causing problems so I am holding off on them for a couple. Spent much of my night in the bathroom not to be gross. Having family around is great. I'm afraid my hubby is too used to having me care for him, he had a 2 level lumbar fusion last year and sadly still has lots of pain, that he has no clue how to be a caregiver. My son is spoiled rotten by how much I usually do too and he is quickly learning that over the next 2 weeks he is my go to guy lol. Poor kid, going back to school will be sweet relief! My mom and sisters are gems!!!!

@Poz222 Going home today yay for you!!!!! Settle in and let us know how it's going.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom