TKR New life with my new knee 8/11/15

Happy Sunday Bonesmarties!!! I lost most of Saturday, slept like ALL day. Apparently I needed that. I have yet needed an alarm to wake me up to take my pain meds, it's fascinating that my new knee can tell time lol. I have been taking oxycodone 5mg pretty much every 4 hours and then robaxin (a muscle relaxer) at least at bedtime and sometimes twice daily. I'm getting used to the amount of medication my OS prescribed for me after surgery, my stomach has been feeling better. So far post op day 5 is starting quietly, enjoying my coffee and surfing BS. Hope everyone has a great day today.....
 
Good morning @bdink21. clink of coffee cups. I have another day of weed killing planned. Doesn't that sound like fun? :heehee:
 
@wings You enjoy your weed killing and I'll just not look at all the weeds growing here. Due to my hubby's back injury I am both indoor and outdoor worker bee and sadly my yard is going to pot. I'll have to assign the weeding, mowing, etc tasks to my son. Haha he'll be thrilled.
 
I do the yardwork, too. Hubby ran the riding mower over it a couple times for me until I resume doing it myself, but he was not interested in running the weed wacker. I still haven't really caught up with that, but it's so dry right now, I'm not worrying about it.
 
Bridget, Sounds like a good healing Sunday for you...hope you have a great pain-free day... I'm hanging out n the recliner with my Iceman and amazon Prime today. Hubby went to go work on the boat for a bit (I think being cooped up as caregiver he needed a break for a bit) so I have a friend coming in a few to hang with me. Kitties are loving my new sedentary schedule and are passed out on/next to me :-)

Jean, yardwork is definetly NOT our thing here... We live in a community with a good HOA benefits, ne of which is all mowing and bush trimming etc... For weeds, especially around the pool area I have my BIG bottle of roundup....

We have had thunderstorms everyday so I'm watching the lightning.... Taking my pain meds and chillin. Tomorrow I gotta call the nursing to complain about the fishin joker yesterday and see about the home PT...
 
Sounds like you're doing well!
 
@Poz222 Sounds like you're in a great place today!! I am actually enjoying doing absolutely nothing....for now that is lol.
 
Yep, it's Monday. Not feeling all that great today. Had a very difficult time falling asleep, finally went off around 4 only to be woken up by a pretty significant amount of pain in my knee. I took 1 oxycodone and am icing now but will take a 2nd oxycodone if this on does not kick in soon. Oh well not off to a great start.....
 
Sometimes that happens, you're less than a week out so don't beat yourself up about it. Hope your knee settles down. Have a sleep during the day if necessary,
 
Hang in there - you'll have good days, great days, bad days and stinkers. Just keep taking your meds, resting, icing and elevating and listening to your knee and body. They'll tell you what they need.
 
I think you are doing amazingly well for the point you are at.
You gotta learn to delegate!!
It's your time to take care of yourself and to be taken care of by others!
Time to cash in all the iou's for your tireless devotion......
 
Very happy for you, you seems quite clear minded just 5days Post Op, and you are doing pretty well. I like your "Bonesmarties" -yes we are!
 
@bdink21, Hope the oxycodone kicks in quickly and you can get some rest and pain relief.:friends:
 
I've had such an easy go of it since the beginning that I was optimistic that I would, you know, skip all of the bad parts :rotfl:. I finally fell asleep and the knee is quiet for now. I could never sleep much past 7a so I'm up for a while. Hubby is off work again today. He works 7a-7p 3 on/3off. My son has a few things left to finish up his Eagle Scout project so that where they'll be this morning. PT is coming around 130p so I have plenty of time to relax, ice, elevate. I know I'm early in recovery and am certainly not complaining but pretty soon I'm going to need 'something' to do. What do you all do during the day to pass the time once your PT is done and you are up and ready for the day? I can only watch so much TV lol......
 
Glad you asked. I have not thought of post op activities. Games (solitaire, soda pop, Tetris), someone mentioned adult coloring books, so I looked at some on amazon -those could be helpful in passing time. Some type of needlecraft. Perhaps you could send hubby to to craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

In addition to,watching program TV - maybe find something that interests you on YouTube.
 
You may have out patient PT, that'll take up time. But around the one month mark you'll feel able to take on small house chores, easy meals and walk outside a bit. I know at the month mark I thought about trying to drive around the neighborhood. You will begin to feel better and able to do more. Any of those will take much longer than before, though!
 
@KarriB Outpt PT is definitely something to look forward to :). I'm glad that it's summer time so at some point I will be able to walk outside. The only problem with that, especially now with everything being so new and sore, is that my driveway is a steep slope and to take a walk in my neighborhood it's uphill/downhill and sheesh that hurts!! That one month time period sounds good, I don't mind puttering around the house, cooking a little. @wings I'm not really a crafty type of person, I started a scrapbook for my son and made it to, um, 11 months lol!! Thanks for all of the suggestions, it's nice to have something to concentrate on other than 'the knee'.
 
Don't forget the hours and hours you can spend on here updating your thread and replying to other threads!! :snork:
 
I'm going to struggle with keeping myself entertained as well since I'm not a crafty person either. I started Christmas stocking for our infant son, 30 years later it is still not completed. Most of my friends are in the area of our beach house, which is 90 miles away from where I will be recovering so I won't have much company either.
 
@bdink21 i was looking forward to reading and going to the movies during my TKR. However, the meds kept me from concentrating on reading and complications with my TKR (infection) kept me from doing much else. Netflix was good, but I did a lot of sleeping and a lot of FB.
Can you walk around your yard with a crutch or cane? This is a good time as you can sit on a porch or deck to get out of the house. At a month you could also go out to eat, just be sure to elevate your leg while you're at a restaurant. I always sat a booth with my right leg up.
 
Back
Top Bottom