Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Left Knee . . . Check!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to know that we all share the same problems. I am the same way when someone tries to make me feel better. Just makes me cry and I need alone time to pull myself together. Wonder why that is.

I am now on my refill of lower dose hydrocodone--7.5 mg instead of 10. Seems to be going okay so far. I did save one higher dose for right before the PT came today, but I have been taking 15 mg (2x7.5) every four hours since yesterday. I think after one refill at this dosage it will be lowered again--probably to 5 mg I'm guessing. Hope I'm ready for that when the time comes!

PT has been going well, and even though it is gentle and easy, I am still sore afterward. We will measure on Friday. Last Friday (post-op day 10) when we measured for the first time I was at 2 for extension and 60 for flexion. Not great but I have no problem with those numbers. Just by eyeballing my flexion today both the PT and I think it is definitely more than what it was last week, but we'll see on Friday. I try to do 2 hours in the CPM before she gets here so that I'm pretty limbered up by the time we start working.

I am still sleeping really well, which I'm so thankful for. It has to be the drugs, but I'll take it while I can get it.

Yesterday I went all the way to the kitchen by myself and got my own lunch! It was just a container of cottage cheese and a spoon, but hey, getting my own lunch was a first! Another first--today I actually have on a pair of yoga pants instead of pajamas. Not much difference between yoga pants and my PJs, but still, I'm counting it as being dressed for a change!

Tonight I have four friends coming over and bringing dinner. My first social event (even though I'm not going anywhere). They're coming at 6:30, and I am usually pretty wiped out by that time, so not sure how this is going to go. With having PT today and also needing to shower, I'm a little nervous about having the energy to sit out at the dining room table later. I will have to try to take a nap sometime this afternoon I guess.

I'm having a bit of a problem with constipation again. It seemed to be going okay for a while, but I'm having that uncomfortable feeling again. Yesterday I tried my daughter-in-law's concoction of prune juice with 7Up heated in the microwave. She said it worked for her when she had her C-section. Well....didn't do a thing for me! I am still doing all of the things that I was doing before (Metamucil, prune juice, prunes, stool softener) but they just don't seem to be doing as much for me now. Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?? Don't want to get to the point of needing an enema again! :blush:
Niki
 
Try to enjoy your company, Niki. Maybe you can lie down on the couch while they visit. Good luck with that other problem. It's going to hang around as long as you're taking narcotics. I don't know how the real junkies, who are doing really large doses of these drugs manage!
 
Wow..Nikki...you are making quite some progress.

Out of control emotions for me were common. I blew up one day when my husband got my walker from the back of the car??? Tears are catharigic...they help so much when we are about to blow because of our mounting frustration with our situation.

Seriously, even with your break, you are progressing well! As som e posted earlier, in the early stages of recovery, it is a bit of a roller coaster. Hopefully, it seems like you are seeing a few more ups than downs which is awesome.

Blessings!
 
Thanks, Barb. It really is one day at a time I think. And I always feel more optimistic in the morning before the day wears on me and fatigue sets in. Still kind of amazed at how slowly stamina comes back. One day at a time.....
Niki
 
Hi Niki, I have been reading your posts with such admiration for you - you have the most amazing attitude. You are doing a great job and I just wanted to tell you :ThankYou:for your posts.

As I haven't had my TKR yet I can't contribute much to this side but thanks for being so honest with us about how you feel, the pain, the toilet situation :blush: and all of it really!! How about nuts - they do marvellous things for the bowels (any kind work for me). It's a shame the prunes didn't have the desired affect but it's worth a try with nuts, grapes and don't forget sweetcorn!!!!

Wishing you all the best xxx
 
Thanks, Jo. I know how much it helped and prepared me to read the recovery side before my surgery. Felt much better prepared, but still some things take me by surprise! I guess when I read about other people being fatigued, etc. I just thought it wouldn't really happen to me! Ha! Surprise! I'm not Super Woman afterall!

The nuts are a good suggestion. I usually eat a handful or two of almonds every day, but haven't been doing that since I'm never in the kitchen to grab them. Maybe that will help. I'll have to get a small dish to keep here with me in the bedroom. I did have a little bit of success in the toilet department last night! :snork: So my discomfort is feeling a bit better so far today! Victory!
Niki
 
:th_heehee: We all discover we aren't superwoman! Just give in and go with the flow!
 
Today is my 3-week anniversary! Yay! And I think yesterday was the first day--energy wise--that I felt like I will someday be back to normal. I still wound up napping in the afternoon, but I really did feel like I had more energy yesterday. I am at least able to read and watch TV, whereas until a few days ago I just didn't have the energy to concentrate on much of anything.

The emotional roller coaster ride is also settling down some. (Haven't cried in at least a few days! :snork:)

My pain is still pretty well managed. I am on a lower dose of hydrocodone now--2x7.5/325 every four hours. This refill will last me till Friday if I continue to take the full dose. I'm not sure if the dosage gets lowered again when I go to refill this time. The doc has to authorize this time, so not sure what I'll get! It took a couple of days to feel comfortable on the lower dose, and I still am waking up some nights with discomfort, mostly when it's getting close to the 4-hour mark. I would like to try lowering the dose to maybe 1 every 4 hours, every other dose, but I'm kind of afraid to do it--especially since I am waking up at night some! I am not a big fan of pain! :rolleyespink:

Constipation is still a pretty major issue for me. I'm able to go most days, but man, it is like giving birth to jagged rocks! :th_heehee: I did resort to a suppository last night cause I was so MISERABLE! It was a pretty rough hour and a half or so! I am drinking prune juice with Metamucil twice a day, eating prunes several times a day, taking stool softeners three times a day, eating nuts, and still having difficulties. So those things don't work for everyone--just so you know. There really is no other choice than to use a laxative every now and then. Josephine and Jamie, if you have some other sugggestions, I would love to hear them cause I know that you both are against using laxatives, but I am doing everything else I know how to do without much success.

My days are still pretty much like every day has been for the last 3 weeks. (Kind of reminds me of the movie Groundhog Day!) Spending most of my time in bed alternating between the CPM and icing and elevating. I have been up and around more in the last few days, but still not much since I'm not able to walk. I was able to eat dinner with my friends last week out in the dining room, but after about an hour in the wheelchair, I needed to head back to bed to elevate my leg--so we all visited in my bedroom for a while. It was fun to see some outside faces, but it was also tiring. I've eaten dinner with the family at the table a couple of times since then, and it is definitely getting easier now that I have a little more energy.

Home PT is going fine--albeit slowly. When we measured on Friday, I was still at 2 for extension and got to 70 for flexion. My PT was happy with that since we are so limited on what I can do and still had gained 10 degrees of flexion in a week. She said she will be happy if I can be at 100 when I go back to the doc on November 10th (which will be 6 weeks out). I have the CPM until at least Friday (which is an extra week) because my mobility is so limited. If I want to keep it longer than that, I may have to pay for it out of pocket. I know it doesn't do anything for my muscles, but it does keep my knee moving, so I'm not really sure how long I should use it. Any opinions on that? I'm up to 76 on the CPM, which is 6 more degrees than I can get on my own.

I am thinking about trying to go to church on Sunday, but I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. From the time we leave the house till we get back is about 2 1/2 hours--so don't really know if I'm up to it yet. Definitely would have to use the wheelchair.

I think that's about all the news from me. Like I said--Groundhog Day! :biggrin: Niki
 
The hydrocodone 2x7.5/325 has 650mg Tylenol in it so you could add one regular strength Tylenol (325mg) to that and get a bit better cover. Just make sure you add it all up and don't exceed the 4,000mg per 24hrs maximum.
 
Hi Niki, I don't blame you for getting a bit of extra help with your bowels, it can't be any fun. You are doing really well and it will not be too long before you are full steam ahead with your recovery :thumb:
 
Niki.....boy, it sounds like you are taking about as much as you can to help the constipation. The only thing you didn't mention and I would suggest is to be sure you are drinking as much water as possible....a minimum of 8 8 oz. glasses each day.
 
Jamie,
I do drink lots of water--but probably not 64 ounces a day. Maybe more like 48 or so. Nurse visits have been part of my home health care along with the PT. I was discussing the problem with the nurse yesterday and she suggested taking Milk of Magnesia. It is a laxative, but she too thought I was doing everything I could be doing and still not having good results--so she suggested that. My daughter-in-law bought some for me today, so I think I am going to take that before bed tonight and hope for the best. I don't want to go through another evening like I did last night!:gaah:<----That's about what I felt like! Niki
 
Niki,
Here is a recipe that is used for people who are on medications that cause constipation. It is used in nursing homes, etc. It may not be your cure all but it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if it works. It can be taken a couple of times a day if needed. Good Luck constipation can be so miserable.



FRUIT BUTTER
Serving Size. Start with 1 TBSP and work up to 4 TBSP per day if needed.
4 C Raisins
1/3 to ½ # Prunes-canned and pitted
2 T Honey
2T Vanilla
46 0z apple juice

Soak raisins in water overnight
Puree all together in blender or food processor
Store in refrigerator up to one month
May be used on toast, on cereal, on waffles, pancakes, etc
 
Thanks, Carolyn. I will give it a try. I have all of the ingredients except the apple juice and raisins. I'll see of I can get someone to run to the store for me tomorrow. It actually sounds pretty tasty to me! Niki
 
Nikki: I remember so vividly "giving birth to jagged rocks" during the first few days at home after surgery and I was miserable. My PT came to visit and I told him I wouldn't and didn't want to do any exercising so he left and I was glad. It was too difficult to be polite to people.

How exciting that you got to the kitchen to make your own lunch. It's little things like that that keeps us going.

I spent the first 3 weeks wearing my daughter's scrubs (she's a pediatrician) because they were baggy and I could roll up the leg so the PT could do his work. Loved it when I could wear jeans again.

Stay well and enjoy each achievement no matter how small it seems. They all contribute to progress.
 
I am thinking about trying to go to church on Sunday, but I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. From the time we leave the house till we get back is about 2 1/2 hours--so don't really know if I'm up to it yet. Definitely would have to use the wheelchair.

Niki, it sounds like the 2 and 1/2 hour trip to church would really be a lot for you to tolerate just yet, just from what I've been reading on your thread. It's amazing how exhausting everything is and just the physical act of sitting for so long is really difficult. I had a doctor appt today and it was really uncomfortable to continue sitting by the time I got home. Just something to consider.
 
:rolleyespink:

Constipation is still a pretty major issue for me. I'm able to go most days, but man, it is like giving birth to jagged rocks! :th_heehee: I did resort to a suppository last night cause I was so MISERABLE! It was a pretty rough hour and a half or so! I am drinking prune juice with Metamucil twice a day, eating prunes several times a day, taking stool softeners three times a day, eating nuts, and still having difficulties. So those things don't work for everyone--just so you know. There really is no other choice than to use a laxative every now and then. Josephine and Jamie, if you have some other sugggestions, I would love to hear them cause I know that you both are against using laxatives, but I am doing everything else I know how to do without much success.

Niki,

I had the very same problem, and the only way I was able to get rid of the consitipation was to go OFF of the MEDS that were causing it. I started taking celebrex and tylenol, some days I was taking advil and tylenol, now I am taking mostly tylenol (extra strength) and advil every 6 hours. The constipation has gone away. I had terrible abdominal cramps, I think I am allergic to codiene... which is norco, and pergocet, and vicodin... can't take that stuff don't know what else can be taken to control the extreme pain right after surgery, but that is what they gave me, and even tramodol, I had to get off of that too.

Good luck figuring it out.. the prunes did help, along with the stool softener, which I am still taking to this day, 11 weeks out.. and will continue for awhile longer... but it's better...

Good luck..
 
Excellent recipe, Retsel!!! I'm going to add it to our LIBRARY thread on constipation. Thanks!!!
 
Rusty, I remember your posts about the constipation issue right after your surgery. I remember thinking that was going to be me too cause I've been down this road before with previous surgeries. The other surgeries though didn't require narcotics for this long. That is what makes me nervous about the whole thing. Like Natalie said, I think the issue won't be resolved until I'm off of those kind of drugs. But at only 3 weeks out and with the added fracture, I don't see how I can get off of the narcotics any time soon. I still can't seem to go longer than 4 hours between doses and I am taking the full dose each time.

I did take the Milk of Magnesia last night before bed. The bottle said "will produce a bowel movement within 1/2 to 6 hours." Well, it's been 13 hours since I took it and nothing, nada, not a thing! I think I'll probably weigh 10 pounds less once I get my system moving and cleaned out! :hysterical:

Heidi, my husband agrees with you that the church trip would be too much at this point. I know that's probably true. Guess I'm just getting a little stir crazy after 3 weeks spent mostly in my bedroom. I did venture out to the front porch yesterday for a bit. We have a glider out there and it was finally cool in my part of the country. It felt great to be outside. Hoping to do that again this afternoon.

Got the CPM up to 80 this morning. PT will be here in about an hour. I've been really pleased with my steady flexion progress. The numbers definitely don't look impressive, but I am making small gains every day. Can't ask for much more than that--especially since my PT is "hands off"--no forcing anything ever.

Okay--I am ready for another day in paradise!
Niki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom