Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Left Knee . . . Check!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting and providing the update. It's interesting that so much of what you have shared seems to be part of the recovery process that many of us have experienced, but this procedure surely is a bit of a roller coaster ride. The fatigue factor and initial loss of appetite are definitely two areas mentioned here before and often one of the key reasons why rest is so important.

The timelines which the moderators have shared may vary for each of us, but I'm impressed by how accurate they have been. Once I was moving around after surgery I did find spending time outside as often as possible very helpful - recognize that may be somewhat more challenging as in some areas of the country we've gone directly from Summer to Winter.

Best of luck as you continue to recover ...
 
You know, I thought I was keeping a pretty positive attitude given the complication that I've had, but this morning I read through a couple of other threads from people who had TKR around the same time that I did. What great progress! Walking without any kind of assistance, going on outings, being able to take care of oneself without help. Up until now I haven't really had any kind of "what might have been" thoughts. But man, it just kind of hit me this morning what kind of setback having a fracture really is. Guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself--hope I can snap out of it before my PT arrives. :cry4:Niki
 
Awww....Niki......don't let yourself get down, hon. Even without a fracture, you are still doing well. You're just barely out of surgery. And, while it's true that some folks seem to leap right back into life, the truth is that the majority take months to really begin to feel like themselves again.

Soooo....frankly, I think you are doing just great!
 
Niki, I think it sounds like you are doing very well. I have felt like I've been doing well, which includes dealing with constipation, weepiness, swelling, etc., just like everybody else. Every day I worry about whether the aching, swelling, or whatever is normal. I have ROM over 120 in each leg, but still have such cramping and aching that it wakes me up at night. Everybody's healing is relative. I was really sore this morning in bed, but couldn't ignore the fact that it was a lot easier to go up the stairs today than it was yesterday. Your six weeks is going to go by and you are still healing while you're dealing with it. I bet that three months down the road, we will probably be about even in healing. You're just having to take a different route to get to the same place. Just remember that, no matter how cheery posts might seem, this ain't no picnic for any of us. Hang in there, Niki. We'll all be dancing eventually.
 
Niki
I'm one of the people that has done well .
I'm just now catching up with your thread as it has popped back up to the front page.
I'm SO sorry for the the fracture and feelings of being left behind or that you have a huge set back. The good news I see is that oddly all the sleeping and napping time seems to go by SO FAST. Tuesday will be 2 weeks out for you!

Our surgeries were just 1 day apart, and I'm SURE that once your fracture is healed you will have had the advantage of VERY good healing and rest, only kind gentle therapy, and you have almost not choice regarding "over doing it". you just can't.

Please hang in there, I know that once you are cleared to really start therapy you will make progress by leaps and bounds and your body will be ready for it!

I'm rooting for you!
 
Niki, I think you are doing great!! Yes, the fracture is a setback, but once it heals you are going to be so well rested you might just leave everyone eating your dust! :yes 4:
 
Thanks for the pep talks! I know that in the long run this delay won't mean much. Today, I think, just turned out to be one of those weepy kind of days, and it started first thing in the morning. I truly am thrilled to read stories of the great progress others are having. It usually is very inspiring for me. I debated even posting those feelings this morning, but I figured if I can't be honest about how I'm feeling about it all here where I know everyone understands the ups and downs, then there really isn't anyplace to be honest about it. It's a long road for all of us for sure. Tomorrow is another day--and one day closer to actually being able to step on this new knee of mine! I hope it's not rusty by the time I get to use it!! :th_heehee: Niki
 
I think you progress is wonderful. In fact, even though I've had a few surgeries under my belt, I always get a bit skittish. Your posts have given me the "pump" I needed to get back on track again. :yes 4:

Don't beat yourself up. Some people heal up faster than others. On one surgery, I was just geting around by myself after 3 weeks. My cousin had the same surgery and within 1 week he was in the woods, hunting! Talking about feeling bad...geez....

I learned then my body functions different and while I have a lot of drive as you do, your body will tell you how much and when. Keep up the good work because it give me a bit more courage !!!!!
 
Thanks for the pep talks! I know that in the long run this delay won't mean much. Today, I think, just turned out to be one of those weepy kind of days, and it started first thing in the morning. I truly am thrilled to read stories of the great progress others are having. It usually is very inspiring for me. I debated even posting those feelings this morning, but I figured if I can't be honest about how I'm feeling about it all here where I know everyone understands the ups and downs, then there really isn't anyplace to be honest about it. It's a long road for all of us for sure. Tomorrow is another day--and one day closer to actually being able to step on this new knee of mine! I hope it's not rusty by the time I get to use it!! :th_heehee: Niki

I've been having the weepies myself, Niki, as I'm sure you've gathered from my own thread. We had our surgeries at nearly the same time. Maybe we're going through the same phase right on cue! I also just realized that tonight is the full moon, which could go a long way toward explaining my weepiness!
 
I also just realized that tonight is the full moon, which could go a long way toward explaining my weepiness!

Ha! Maybe that explains it! Today is a new day, and I'm feeling much better. No weepys yet, but the day is far from over. :snork:

The emotions have really been something else. Here is an example. When we had this stomach virus going through our house the first few days I was home from the hospital, I made my way to the bathroom, got the job done, and looked over to find NO TOILET PAPER! I can't just get up and get myself some since I have a broken leg, so I'm yelling for my husband, who doesn't hear me. Turns out he's dealing with the guy who is delivering my wheelchair while I'm screaming, "There's no toilet paper!" at the top of my lungs. My husband pokes his head in the bathroom and says, "Don't go anywhere," and leaves me there. When he comes back a minute later, I'm sobbing (the really ugly kind). He says, "What's wrong??" I can barely choke out, "There's no toilet paper." I think we will be laughing about that moment for a long time to come, but it wasn't funny at the time!

I finally got my overbed hospital table yesterday! Yay! I had ordered one from Amazon a month before my surgery and it arrived in a shredded box with all of the hardware missing. After trying to get the company to send me hardware for month, I finally got a table locally. I love it! So helpful since I am spending most of my time in bed. Now I can actually set my laptop up and type more easily. I'll also be able to use it to eat sitting in the wheelchair since I can't get the wheelchair up close to the table to eat there. At least I can be in the same room with everyone now to eat and feel like less of an invalid. Small steps that feel like milestones! :biggrin:
Niki
 
Good for you, Niki. Things do get better as you settle into the recovery process. I can certainly understand your frustration with what you have gone through to get to this point. God bless you, hon.....you're hanging in there! More smiles will come your way....promise!

I do kind of like your hubby's humor...."Don't go anywhere...." :hysterical:
 
Hi Niki.
I have been reading your posts about your recovery. Unfortunate set back for sure. Anyway, look forward to the days when you will be pain free and able to do the things you want. Such a marvelous feeling to be "young" again. All the best in your recovery.

Cheers, Ross :cheers_wine:
 
I'm so glad things are brighter for you today. :yay:

Oh small steps! such the truth!

I'm sure that there will be ups and downs but I'm sure that the more days under your belt and the closer you get to your fracture healed I know, I just know things will get even better.

it is hard on all of us to feel helpless, and I know I have such a strong desire to not "need" any help, I can't imagine being in your shoes right now. My hat is off to you! you are a tough cookie and I think doing remarkably well.

I think at times I'm glad I have a lot of alone time (in my house) as I worry I will be too crabby with those trying to help me!!! (as I'm also easily frustrated and lack patients and understanding in others - not to mention my memory and focus SUCKS) I have a lot of people emailing me and calling and that works well, I can be more selective with my communication!

and congrats on being 2 weeks out from your surgery!

take care!
 
When he comes back a minute later, I'm sobbing (the really ugly kind). He says, "What's wrong??" I can barely choke out, "There's no toilet paper." I think we will be laughing about that moment for a long time to come, but it wasn't funny at the time!

I finally got my overbed hospital table yesterday! Yay! I had ordered one from Amazon a month before my surgery and it arrived in a shredded box with all of the hardware missing. After trying to get the company to send me hardware for month, I finally got a table locally. I love it! So helpful since I am spending most of my time in bed. Now I can actually set my laptop up and type more easily. I'll also be able to use it to eat sitting in the wheelchair since I can't get the wheelchair up close to the table to eat there. At least I can be in the same room with everyone now to eat and feel like less of an invalid. Small steps that feel like milestones! :biggrin:
Niki

Niki, I'm in the same boat, emotionally. I am an emotional person anyway, but throw in something as major as this AND a full moon? Forget it! I was laying here in bed crying last night just from reading my dialogue with Jamie from my thread last night. My poor husband is having a devil of a time trying to keep up. Everything is just fine and then, suddenly, I'm weeping AGAIN! For some reason, I have a really difficult time dealing with sympathy. All somebody has to do is say, "Oh, you poor thing!" and I'm off to the races. Then I really need to be left alone to pull myself back together. The more sympathy, the more I cry! It's ridiculous.
 
Niki,


"The emotions have really been something else. Here is an example. When we had this stomach virus going through our house the first few days I was home from the hospital, I made my way to the bathroom, got the job done, and looked over to find NO TOILET PAPER! I can't just get up and get myself some since I have a broken leg, so I'm yelling for my husband, who doesn't hear me. Turns out he's dealing with the guy who is delivering my wheelchair while I'm screaming, "There's no toilet paper!" at the top of my lungs. My husband pokes his head in the bathroom and says, "Don't go anywhere," and leaves me there. When he comes back a minute later, I'm sobbing (the really ugly kind). He says, "What's wrong??" I can barely choke out, "There's no toilet paper." I think we will be laughing about that moment for a long time to come, but it wasn't funny at the time!" QUOTE

Sorry I had to laugh at this whenI read it. All I could picture was that commercial on television where the wife tosses the guy the toilet paper.:hysterical:
Don't worry about it as I am sure you have read most of us here have gone thru the same things(weepies) this too will pass, hopefully soone for you.
 
Every day I worry about whether the aching, swelling, or whatever is normal. I have ROM over 120 in each leg, but still have such cramping and aching that it wakes me up at night.
Heidi, you know what I am going to say ......

TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS!
 
Heidi....I'm so sorry if anything I said to you made you cry. You know I am only concerned about your well-being.

Jo is right about the pain meds. Hon, what you're experiencing with that cramping IS pain and it can make you depressed and weepy like you're describing. Please go back to a proper schedule for pain meds. You'll feel so much better if you do. You wonderful body has healing yet to go and you will help things by staying comfortable. Sending you comforting BoneSmartie (((HUGS)))).
 
Heidi, you know what I am going to say ......

TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS!

I take my pain meds religiously, Josephine and Jamie! No masochisism here! I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm not taking them, but it's erroneous. I've been on pain medication for two years for a different chronic pain problem. I can't function without pain medication. I am an every four hour kinda gal. Sorry this hijacked your thread, Niki.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom