Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Left Knee . . . Check!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here! Sorry to cause concern. I truly did try to get on here yesterday. Got logged in and then just crashed. I've been trying to find the energy to open my laptop ever since.

Yesterday, day two, was definitely a bit tougher as far as the pain since the block wore off. The nurses have been great though with really keeping on schedule with the meds and offering morphine in between if I need it. Should have taken that extra shot last night cause the pain kept me awake for several hours. But I had just gotten pain meds so I kept waiting for them to kick in. I won't do that again cause I really didn't get much sleep at all last night.

Okay--found out yesterday morning what is up with the xrays and CT scan. Turns out I have about an inch and a half verticle fracture in the back top side of my femur where the implant meets the bone. That is the line that was showing up. My OS is completely shocked that this happened and said he has never had anything like it happen before. He said my bones looked strong and healthy and there were no issues during the surgery. But somehow I wound up with a fracture. Fortunately it is centered in the bone and does not go all the way through to the front. What this means is that I have to let the fracture heal (which it will do), but that means that there is no weight bearing allowed on it at all--so I will be on the walker completely for 6 to 8 weeks. Very frustrating and discouraging news. I think without this complication my recovery would have gone remarkably well because I am able to do all of the exercises given to me, including straight leg lifts right from the start. (That is one definite advantage to not waiting too long because my muscles are still really fit since I have been able to walk and work out even though it hurt me later.)

So I can still do all of the stretching and ROM exercises but I can't walk on my new knee!! I think this was just a freak thing happening, and I really don't blame my doc. I still think he is great--and he is very much a perfectionist, so I know he feels as badly about this as I do. I asked him if there was any risk of the implant not being seated correctly or maybe being crooked or anything like that because of the fracture and he assured me that there is no risk of that. He said it looks perfect on both the xray and the CT scan. Also asked him if there was a risk of the implant loosening because of the fracture and he said no. He explained how it's implanted with cement and bone shavings, etc. He said once the fracture is healed there will be absolutely no difference. And I'm choosing to believe him at this point!

Had my big, bulky dressing removed this morning so got my first look at my knee. I was very pleasantly surprised. The swelling is not bad at all and bruising right now is barely noticeable. I know that may change in the next couple of days though. I have dissolvable sutures so don't have to have staples or sutures removed. Was very glad to learn of that.

OS and internist both said I could go home today if I wanted to or stay till tomorrow. OS said today could be my worst pain day though because definitely all of the internal stuff will have worn off--so I've opted to stay till tomorrow so that I can take advantage of the additional pain meds if I should need them, whereas at home I'll only have my pills to take. We also apparently have a stomach virus going through our house--so I thought an extra day away from there might be good. :biggrin: Or maybe I should rethink that since I still haven't gone number 2 even though I've eaten just about a whole bag of prunes! :hysterical: My daughter-in-law says she will make me this concoction that they used when she had her C-section. It's some mixture of prune juice and 7Up. And it has to be heated. She said it tastes like drinking a hot Dr. Pepper and did the trick for her. So I will try that when I get home tomorrow.

So even though I've had a setback, I am staying positive and have no regrets about going ahead with the surgery. I already know it was the right time to do it and the right decision for me.

I am still having the cervical disc issue, which is definitely not helped by having to use the walker and bear most of my weight on my arms and shoulders. This could turn into a bigger problem since I have to use it for so long. Guess I'll just have to see how that all pans out over time.

Thank you all for asking about and thinking of me. I will try to do better about posting. The fatigue is tough! I haven't really been able to do much of anything or concentrate on anything since I've been here. Hopefully that will start to get better. Looking forward to checking out all of the posts I've missed--after my next nap!
Niki
 
Wow, what a bad break Niki - get it?! :th_heehee: Glad you are doing well otherwise though! Enjoy your nap! :sleep:
 
Niki,

So sorry to hear you have this new added problem on your plate. But at least it happened while you were still in the hospital and can be addressed immediately. So glad to hear your spirits are still up and positive. Just keep grtting as much rest as you can while you are there and take your pain meds.
 
Hi Niki, Sorry to hear you have a fracture to deal with. I'm sure if you do as your OS tells you it will all be fine in a few weeks. Other than that you sound like you are doing really well - well done to you!! Take care and keep up with those prunes :thumb:
 
Niki,

Sorry to hear about the fracture. Hope all goes well with the stretching exercises as they were very helpful as I was working toward improving my range of motion.

In terms of the other subject (going to the bathroom), I was also somewhat challenged by that exercise - probably because many of us don't feel like eating the first day or two and my diet consisted primarily of smoothies. On the way home from the hospital my wife and I stopped by a fast food restaurant (not a healthy option but I find that their food typically addresses this issue) and it did.

Take care ...
 
sorry to hear about the break. It sounds like they're taking good care of you pain-wise. I think it made a lot of sense for you to decide to stay in the hospital until tomorrow.
 
Niki, I'm so sorry to hear about the fracture and setback, but happy to hear that it is something that will heal just fine, and your positive attitude will help. I'm glad you decided to remain in the hospital another night. The additional pain meds will help you rest tonight. Now you just need to continue to rest so your body can get on with the healing process. Sounds like you are doing great with your ROM but don't overdo it.
 
Glad to hear from you, Niki! We were getting ready to send out a search party! We knew you couldn't have gotten too far, though. What a bummer about the break! I was kind of afraid of that when you mentioned the line and the CT scans. Had heard that it happens sometimes. I'm glad they think it's all going to turn out okay, though.

Now, about the constipation....I dunno, I had the opposite problem when I was in the hospital, remember? But, I am taking a bunch of softeners. I tend to agree with Dale about the fast food solution. That usually does it for me, too. I think it's the extra fats. Good reason to get away with eating a burger and a shake, at any rate!

Feel better!
 
Niki: I'm so sorry about the fracture. But there is a solution and best of all--your new knee will not be affected. Thank God for that. Six weeks on a walker..wow! Sounds like such a long time but during that time your knee will be healing and your bruises, etc. will be improving continually. Keep a positive attitude and before you know it this will all be behind you. I am about 7 weeks post-op and I can't believe how quickly that time has gone by. We'll keep chatting you through the 6 weeks.

Hope to hear real soon that you had #2. I'm particularly tuned in to that because of my own painful experience that I will never forget.

I know you are a smart gal and will take your meds and stay in control of the pain. Keep posting; we all care about you.
 
He said once the fracture is healed there will be absolutely no difference. And I'm choosing to believe him at this point!
Believe him. It's obviously a big set-back to you at this moment but trust me (and him) in the terms of your cemented hip, this is a minor issue and so long as you follow instructions to let it heal, which it should readily do, everything will be fine.

Also remember how fortunate it was that he was alert enough to spot it so quickly. That's a really good surgeon!
 
Niki , I can empathize with your concerns. I had a setback of an infection and a lot of swelling. I was on a walker for 2 months because of the swelling, my quads did not work. Your concern about the upper body pain is real. However, it only lasts a few days and then your body adjusts to the new needs for the upper body. You just have to work with it and through it. You have a great attitude and that means so much to your recovery. There will be good and bad days, but the other side is a strong leg and no pain! It is worth all the work ! Don't overdo it and ice, elevate and rest!
Mimi
 
Niki,

We all understand about the lack of concentration, fatigue and bathroom issues! Just rest up, take care of yourself and keep up that positive attitude!

Gilly
 
I agree with Jo....your surgeon sounds like he is on top of things and this should end up being only a mere blip in your overall recovery.
 
I am home and happy to be here! Came home yesterday at about lunchtime. Man, I thought I would be posting up a storm after surgery, but it has surprised me how much I have just laid here and "vegged"! Can't seem to make myself do much of anything.

Okay, you remember I had some concerns about the constipation before surgery, since it has been an issue for me in the past. This may be a "TMI post" for some but thought it might be helpful information. I did try all of the recommendations--was on stool softeners right away, ate an entire bag of prunes, drinking apple juice, etc. Nothing happening. They started giving me Miralax twice a day--after four doses of that and MORE prunes--nothing. Doc said plumbing had to be working before they would let me come home, so the decision was made to go with a suppository. That's what I was expecting, but turns out the doc changed his mind and ordered a good old-fashioned enema for me! So after 3 days of stool softeners, more prunes than I can count, 4 doses of Miralax and an enema--success! I am back to eating prunes and drinking Metamucil. Hopefully things will keep moving along even with the drugs now that I'm home.

Fortunately, I have not had any real sleep issues. I usually have trouble sleeping anyway--but so far the drugs have made it easy to fall back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. Last night I took two 10/325 Hydrocodone every 4 hours. This morning I took 100 mg of Tramadol because that really seemed to work well for me in the hospital. But it has not worked so well today. The nurse just called me and I told her that I took that today and it really hasn't helped much. She was the one who gave it to me in the hospital--well turns out she gave that to me in addition to a 10 mg oxycodone! I thought I was getting it instead of oxycodone! No wonder it hasn't worked as well today. I think I will have to save the Tramadol for later down the line and stick to the Hydrocodone for now. Glad she called and I got that figured out!

I took a shower yesterday after being home for a few hours. I purchased one of those waterproof cast covers, so that worked well. Definitely needed the shower seat since I only have one leg to stand on. The shower was tough--so I think I'm going to stick to every other day for a while. Just as long as I can get my hair washed every other day, I'll be happy.

Still waiting for my CPM to get here. They wouldn't let us take the one I had in the hospital, so they are supposed to deliver that this afternoon. So consequently, I haven't been on it in a day and a half. Can definitely feel more tightness. I had gotten the CPM up to 63 degrees before coming home, but think I will have to start back at 40 or 45 again. I've been doing the exercises the PT gave me. LOVE the ankle pumps! That feels so good on my calf. I'm able to do all of them--some cause more discomfort than others. I can easily do 10 straight leg lifts. So muscle atrophy has really not been an issue for me. I'm sure not being able to walk for 6 weeks is bound to have an effect, but maybe the exercises will help counteract that.

Using the walker has been very painful for my neck/disc. Really, really irritates that nerve. But I don't know what else to do. I tried the crutches and that was even worse. Just the thought of walking from the bedroom to the bathroom makes me want to have my catheter back!

Jo and Jamie, it makes me feel better to know that you concur that the fracture should be fine once it heals. It does feel like a big setback at this point--especially because I think my recovery would have been relatively easy without that. At least I know that I can't overdo it since I can't do anything! I think my husband is more upset about it than I am--probably cause it makes being the caregiver a little more challenging. :snork:

All in all, I am doing really well. I am happy to be on this side of surgery and over all of the doubts that I had. I am happy with my decision and can't wait to really get to try out my knee in a couple of months.

Whew! All of this typing has wiped me out....:sleep:
Niki
 
Niki, six weeks will be over before you know it. One good thing about the drugs is that they kind of skew time, too. I can't believe it's almost been a month since my surgery! It feels like last week. So, hopefully, your walker time will fly by for you. I know, because I'm an overachiever and tend to get stir crazy, that it's tough to imagine, but it will be over before you know it.
 
Don't give thought to the fact that you tire easily and need lots of naps. This is what you are supposed to be doing!!! I am glad you checked on the meds and are set now. It really isn't good to switch back and forth between different types of pain killers, so you are better off with the hydrocodone right now. You need serious pain relief.

Take care of yourself and post when you can. We do expect you to spend HUGE amounts of your day and night sleeping or just resting. That's what recovery is all about.....letting your body heal itself.
 
Had a pretty good night last night--though it seemed to take a little longer to start to feel relief when I took the pain meds--up to about an hour last night instead of the usual 30 minutes. But I have been really fortunate to be able to fall back to sleep after waking up every 4 hours for meds. Pain control has been going well now that I'm back on track with the hydrocodone. Still taking two every 4 hours but wondering if I might be able to get by on one during the day and maybe two during the night. I guess that's just trial and error to see if it works that way for me??

CPM was delivered last night, so I'm back on that for a total of 6 hours a day. Have been doing the PT exercises maybe twice a day. The rest of the time I'm dozing or vegging it seems. I am seriously considering getting a wheelchair for these next 6 or 8 weeks until I'm able to put weight on my leg. I don't think I'm going to be able to manage that long on the walker. I'm going to call my OS tomorrow to schedule my follow-up appointment so I will see what he thinks. Kind of feels like a step backward instead of forward but it sure would make it easier for now I think.

Home PT is scheduled to come tomorrow for the first time. Kind of nervous to see what kind of PT I'm going to have. Hope we can establish some ground rules right from the start.

Going to try to shower again today. That seems to take so much out of me! But I do feel good once I'm done and clean!
Niki
 
Good luck with the physical therapy at home. I found that establishing clear guidelines during the first visit was important - based on everything that I had reviewed here, I advised my physical therapist that I was more focused on stretching the first few days rather than pushing my knee and potentially causing pain and swelling that would be counterproductive.

Once we established these guidelines it was easier to set goals and I felt much more comfortable with future visits - we focused on range of motion and not necessarily taking measurements. I find that it was similar to getting in shape and losing weight - you really don't burn a lot of calories by stepping on the scale many times throughout the day - take it at your own pace because no one knows your body better than you do ...
 
Wow! It's been a week since I've posted. What I read on this site prior to my surgery about fatigue is sooooo true! Even if I'm not napping, most of the time I'm laying here without enough energy to do anything. At day 12 I am finally able to read some. Reading is my favorite pasttime, but I've hardly been able to read at all until the last day or two. Even watching TV or movies has seemed like too much effort. But I am slowly more able to concentrate and read, etc. I want to share some of the things that I've learned over the last 12 days.

--Post-op day 6 is too early to try to lower the pain meds! I started out taking two 10/325 hydrocodone every four hours. I was doing well on that dosage, so thought I would try cutting back to one every four hours during the day instead of two. Not a good idea! So back to two I went. A day or two later I thought I would try cutting back at night instead of during the day. Not a good idea! For the past two nights I've taken one and a half for three of the doses (evening and night) and then back to two during the day. Three lower doses in a row is not a good idea either. So today I am going to try alternating doses with two and one and a half and see how that goes. My next refill of hydrocodone will be at a lower dose (7.5 instead of 10) so I think I have been nervous about being forced to a lower dose so I've been trying to get there myself. I can definitely tell the difference in taking 15 mg instead of 20.

--I have been on a major emotional roller coaster ride. Not sure if it's the pain meds alone or that in conjunction with everything else that goes along with major surgery. But the emotional stuff has really taken me by surprise. I did read about post-op blues a bit, but really didn't expect the kind of reactions that I've been having. I have had some major emotional meltdowns (of the sobbing variety :cry:) over some pretty minor things. My husband told me that he actually got online and looked up the side effects of hydrocodone cause what was happening to me is so out of the ordinary! It did list mood swings! :snork:

--My appetite was completely gone for about 10 days and is just now starting to come back. It is really hard to force yourself to eat when you don't want to. I did weigh myself though and I weigh 6 pounds more now than I did the morning I went to the hospital! How is that possible? :scratch:

--Showered without my leg covered for the first time on day 11. It felt wonderful!

--In home PT for me has been of the gentle and easy variety because of my femur being fractured. I had PT every day this past week and will go to three times a week starting tomorrow. I will stay with three times a week in home until I go back to the doc on November 10th. That will be at the 6-week point to see if the fracture is healed and I can start putting weight on my leg. I am all for gentle and easy PT. My therapist has talked about patients crying during PT with her--so I don't think she is too much into easy and gentle! But she is forced into it because of my broken leg. I'm hoping that at 6 weeks when I see the doctor I will be able to do the PT on my own cause I definitely don't want to experience "normal" PT from this therapist!

--I am using a wheelchair because I just can't get too much farther than the bathroom with the walker and the herniated disc in my neck. It has been a pretty big issue.

--On day 8 I had to go have an ultrasound to check for a DVT because I have a very tender and painful area in my calf. I've had a DVT before, so I know what it feels like. But I can't put any weight on my leg. If I was able to step on it I think I would be able to tell if it was a DVT or not--but since I can't OS thought it best to go check it out. Good news was that there was no blood clot, but that outing took 3 1/2 hours start to finish and pretty much wiped me out for the rest of the day.

--All of my plumbing seems to be in working order! I did catch the stomach virus that was going through my house, but not as badly as everyone else here had it. But with that definitely jump starting things and now drinking Metamucil mixed in prune juice twice a day, I think I am on the right track to keep things moving along.

--I have not really had any sleep issues--total nice surprise since I was not a great sleeper before the surgery. Could always fall asleep with no problem but then would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. Now I'm setting my alarm for pain meds, waking up enough to swallow them, and then most of the time falling right back to sleep. :yes 4:

--The icing machine is MAHHHVELOUS!! I have pretty much had it on 24/7 since surgery. I am not up and around much so I've been elevated and icing just about nonstop. My leg looks great! Very minimal swelling and only two bruised areas. I did not have staples, so my incision looks good too. It is about 5 1/2 inches long. Have dissolvable sutures so don't have to worry about having anything taken out.

I am starting to go a little stir crazy since I can't even get up to walk around. I get in the wheelchair and go out in the family room for a change of scenery. But hopefully now that I seem to be able to concentrate a little better, I can start reading more and watching some of the movies that I recorded before surgery.

I think that about updates all that has been happening. I am doing well, all things considered! Sorry for the long post, but since I haven't been here for awhile there was a lot to catch up on!
Niki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom