Guest viewing is limited

THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure am glad I didn't get those responses when I asked to get both knees done at the same time. My OS just said he's do one on Monday and the other on Thursday. Didn't like to keep patient under anesthesia for too long a period of time. And I'm hoping my left hip continues to stay in the very good shape it's in so far.

Are you both getting more accustomed to the new site? Since I found out about the "Temp" deal, it's been a breeze. Take care, talk with you later.
 
Thank you Judy. Yes, since you told me about the "temp" deal it has been so much easier to navigate. Still figuring things out but definitely getting there. I do hate change the older I get but it helps to keep my mind sharp...LOL. Wow you had your knees done close together, that must have been quite a challenge and recovery and a new hip before that..brave lady.
 
Diane, Hi, I finally got my knee done June 5th. I can't remember much but ow. This probley one of the best nights since the surgrey. Had a problem with something they gave me during surgrey and now tonight I might be totally rash free. What a mess. But as I found out each knee is different. I have had to deal with lots of pain. I just think my body saying No more for a long while, please. Do take care and I do hope this finds you better. Oh I forgot did you get all the retirement stuff in and now you are truely retired. I like the new form but I will really need to spend lot of time understanding it and learn how to use it. They didn't put in a spell check did they. If so where is it. As you know I need it quite often and now of more medican, even more. :puppysmooze::groan:
 
Thanks Sis...lovely!
Tash, Yes I am officially retired, got my 1st check the end of May and the next coming the end of June.

I had a mix of emotions this week. Total elation and totally frustrated. On Tuesday at PT I walked without my cane and actually did better for a few steps than with my cane. Hooray, so happy! My PT says I don't lean as much without the cane. So...I'm now practicing at home without the cane for 4-5 steps and touching down if I need to. At end of day I still need it if I am tired and it is bothering my back a little without it so slow and steady will get me there.

Now the frustration. I am elated about this accomplishment as I am 7 mo. out from 2nd THR. I have been sharing this good news with close family and friends with little to no response from them. I am disenheartened. Maybe they are sick to death of hearing about my health but I try hard to not talk about it all the time. I know they don't understand what I have been through but I feel alienated and alone. Thank goodness I have my BS family to share with. On top if that the Yankees have lost their last two games ( I still have my sense of humor at least).

Thanks for listening and being there.
 
Yes, I'm afraid that family and friends do tire of hearing about our hips and knees. They just feel like we should have been back to normal a long time ago---and it's not about them. I can see my hubby's eyes glaze over when I talk about my knees. But I'm going to get my revenge:wink:. He's going to see my OS tomorrow about his knees---he's in much worse shape than I was and has balance problems in addition. So if the doc agrees to do his knees---I'm going to have a chance to let my eyes glaze over. Of course, not in the beginning, but later on when he's doing well. Aren't I awful?:whistle: And I think your taking steps with cane is super---slowly but surely you'll reach the point that you won't need it at all----and we'll need to have a party:cheers: to celebrate! Take care, I care.
 
Thanks, Judy. Somehow I don't think you will let your eyes glaze over and sometimes I feel like that revenge would be if people had to go through this. So I guess we all feel some resentment from time to time. Looking forward to the party!
 
Diane,

You know what, WE are proud of your accomplishments! Family and friends don't get it unless they have been there, in my opinion. Even then, they aren't always there with the right support/response when we need it......but it's great news to hear about the cane. You been through a lot in the past year and I happy you are making progress. Bravo for you!
Dee
p.s. I didn't know you're a fellow Yankee fan! Even though it was totally unrealistic, I kind of expected the winning streak to continue:(
 
Diane, I'm so glad you are making good progress. It's been a long haul for you, for sure.

About the other people. It is just so hard for others to understand what this is like. Unfortunately, we all get left out sometimes. Although I do believe I've had good support from the people in my life since this whole pain thing began a couple of years ago, I do notice that there hasn't been as much interest in my second hip. I think it is just human nature. Doesn't make it right, but I think that's just the way it is.

I, too, am grateful for all my supporters, especially the bonesmart family. :-)

Dorothy
 
Ok, here goes :happydance: :dancy: :egypdance: :yay: :yes!:
I certainly will help you celebrate being 7 months Out from 2nd surgery and walking steps without the cane!!!!

Heck, Seems like you just put the walker in the closet yesterday. You go girl! I could not agree with you more that some people just don't get it. It is just hard for them to understand the things that might seem small are a really it deal in the scheme of recovery.

You have got all of us to give you a whoo hoo and YIPEE and another :dancy: , cathy
 
oh thanks everyone! I am blessed to have you in my life...you who understand, support, care and share. Walking even a few steps without the cane was huge for me because I was beginning to think I might never walk without it. My friends and family do care but just as everyone says they don't get it. I know this but sometimes forget and need my bs family for reminders. Sleep peacefully everyone.
 
Diane.....we'll always be your cheering squad! You ARE doing great and even small steps forward are cause for celebration here. Your family and friends are good in other ways....this just isn't their strong suit. But....we BoneSmarties on the other hand......we UNDERSTAND your joy and share it!!! Party time!!!!:yay::cocktail:
 
Hi Diane,

:yay: That is great news about practicing walking without the cane at PT and at home!!:yay:

Before I had experience using a cane and *needing* a cane I probably wouldn't have thought it was a big transition going from a cane to walking without.... sometimes people don't understand because they have such a limited frame of personal reference for something. So, like Jamie says above -- we do understand and share in your joy over this milestone here in the forum!! :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Diane, great to hear the news about walking without the cane, it's been a few days now, is it still going well, I do hope so

Ann
 
Cardie, Jamie and Ann and Cathy (hope I didn't forget anyone),

Thanks so much for celebrating with me. Jamie, love what you said about family and friends having a different role in my life. That makes so much sense, thank you.

Getting on well, practice, practice, practice, will get there...you know...the "P" word.
 
Diane, It great that you are now walking without a cane. As they say On step as a time. It feel so good to be free with all that stuff that reminds you can't do right now. Go Girl Go. I got home today and very tired. :puppysmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Remember waaaay back when you couldn't imagine walking without a walker? Now I am just beginning to imagine using a cane instead of a brace. Step by step we march with our new hips! Good for you and don't let anyone (including yourself) diminish your accomplishment!
 
Thanks, Deb. Good insight to not let myself diminish my accomplishment. I am guilty of that sometimes.

Very encouraged today. Haven't been to PT for 1.5 weeks because of sore ankle and tummy bug. Thinking when I went today I might have to back track some but was able to do more and hadn't lost any strength!

Still using the cane, but less, gaining confidence without it.

Can now sleep in any position without any ill affects at all! (for all of you having trouble sleeping and getting in different positions, be patient, it will come)

Life is good at the moment, will savor it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life (I'm a thumbnail, click on me.) Your post just has me grinning from ear to ear and bouncing up and down!
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
Getting it on in PT and sleeping at night in any position you want---doesn't get much better than that. Keep up the good work.
[Bonesmart.org] New lease on life
 
Hi Sis, how fantastic is that... Limited use of cane, limited PT.... I just knew when you retired things would change for you.

I am so pleased for you, it is awesome... Savor every little and big milestone, each one as precious as the last I reckon :)

Big hugs and lots of love xxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom