THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
dianemaarie, I just drop by to say "Hi". I hope your back is doing better. I also hope that you have a good week. Feeling down tonight. I know it will pass as soon as I get out. We are to have a whole week of rain this week. We need it so bad. This week I hope to work more on my house so it can become mine. Keep in touch. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi All,

Started outpatient PT today. The news I got was not the end of the world, but not so great either. Because of the nerve damage from the surgery it is going to take a while before I am any where near where I want to be. I am at moderate risk for falls (so I will be extra careful) and I have lost some range of motion in my ankle and they are checking with my OS about some sort of brace to get the ankle to bend more (not an AFO, but I'm not sure what she said it was). I'm very tired now but will go back Thursday.

So I will need to dig deep and try and keep up with the exercises and what they recommend as I would like to return to work. Teacher so may be out the rest of this year (through June) but who knows because with the nerve issues nobody knows. Oh well, one day at a time. It could be so much worse.

Thanks for all the support.
 
Diane,

I (like most) have found the exercises to be bit dull at times, but I really think they have the desired effect.

I take my time with them so I don't rush thru them without the attention to detail that they often benefit from.

And if anything HURTS...i stop and discuss with the PT experts.

Hang in there,

Z
 
Hi Diane,

Sorry about the nerve damage that sound uncomfortable and painful!

PT will help along with walking if your allowed? I can tell the difference in just a few weeks. As long as it doesnt hurt you!

xxooxx
 
Diane,
Sorry to hear about the nerve issues. Hopefully, PT will really help......just do what's comfortable without pushing too much AND make sure you let the PT know if it's too painful. Good luck !
p.s. Hello to a fellow teacher!!!
Dee
 
Z, thanks, I feel that I will get results too. I will take your advice about doing them slowly, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Sarah, We worked on my gait already today and nothing hurt! Miles is too cute, what a lovey he is.

Dee, Thanks and I won't do anything painful. I thought you might be a teacher because of when you were planning your surgery. I am special ed. Miss my students so much, but not all the "other" stuff. Good luck to you.

My therapist was excellent. Very caring, attentive and encouraging. I told them I did not respond well to the drill sergeant approach but did better with gentle encouragement. Hoping it will work out and help. I was very tired when I got home but so far no pain. Sure I'll sleep well tonight.
 
Sorry to hear about the nerve damage!Is it something that will get better with time??

Im glad you have a great PT, when you are comfortable with them they can be great motivators/partners in your recovery!!
 
Diane....it sounds like you are going to have some extra challenges with your recovery and it's probably going to require a good-sized dose of our favorite word - patinece. Just keep reminding yourself that slow and steady is the way to go and we will continue to be here for you when you need us.
 
Diane, sorry to hear about the damage but when you think about major the surgrey is, this can happen. I also received some but its getting better by itself. Than goodness. I am real tired so I will no doubt just read some posts and go to bed early. I have big day tomarrow; Please stay safe; :doggieshmooze:tashia:friends:
 
Thanks all for the kind words. Yes, Jamie, patience is the key for dealing with nerve issues as my OS said it may take months and months and months for it to resolve.

Haldox, the frustrating things about nerves is no one really knows how long or if it might ever resolve. The good news is everyone is hopeful for me because of how my movement returned so quickly after surgery and how things have been going since then...it has been getting better, they say nerves heal about 1 mm each day so it is slow going.

Tashia, good luck tomorrow.

I just slept for 6 hours straight! and it felt like heaven, PT is a good thing...All the best to everyone.
 
Hi Sis, it is 9:44pm on March 14 here...

But just wanted to wish you happy four month anniversary for tomorrow the 15th....

Sending lots of love and hugs :friends: :wubroses:
xoxoxoxox
 
If anyone has had pain like I will describe or knows what it is please help!

The pain is in my back, directly in the middle between my spine and L side. It usually is worse when I get up from sitting or after standing for a while. It shoots down from a little below my waist to about 4 inches below the waist point.

Hi Diane

Sorry I "am Johnny come lately" to this enquiry. I have a pain that is very similar to what you have discribed. It is where the "dimple" is on your left back buttock about 4 inches down from the waist and it effects (affects?) the whole side from waist to knee. It is the SI joint (sacro-iliac sp?)
When mine is bothering me it is a burning sharp pain that is like WOW! If this is the problem I don't have any answers as it is a joint issue but it gets better with walking if off (I just wish it would walk me to someplace tropical. ) As to if it is the gluteus medius, I don't know. I'm just sharing Owies. :console:But this reminds me that I need to check with PT to see what to do as it puts a real sudden stop to my progress.

Regardless, take care
Carol
 
dianemarie, I hope this finds you in less pain. Pain is so tiring so do take care. Make sure you rest, ice and do pain control. I'm really tired tonight and brain is trying to go to sleep. Isn't it great to get a long night sleep! Be careful and do take care. Stay safe:doggieshmooze:tashia:loll:
 
Hi Diane, Be careful with that tripping. It's been just over 15 months since my hip revision and the nerve damage I experienced. I've not seen any improvement for at least 6-7 months and I trip most everyday to one extent or another. I still have to use a cane and that's what I usually catch myself with.

The falling is what I worry about most. I find myself tripping most if I don't keep the thought of where my next step is going in the front of my mind unlike the norm of sticking it way in the back and just doing it. Stay tuned to your steps and don't make any quick turns. At least that's my rule. Hang in there! Life will get better as you get further from this surgery. :thumb:

Let me know what kind of brace you get. I've had an AFO, which I hated and don't use and this one https://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13530 which did nothing for me since I can usually lift my foot up. My foot likes to travel outwards. My foot also collapses inward so much that the orthotist at my foot ankle surgeon's office was totally shocked about.
 
Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear you haven't had any improvements in the past months. It sure does get frustrating. I know what you mean about "thinking" about every movement without it coming naturally.

I am still using the walker and jut transitioning to the cane. I don't feel confident with the cane yet but hope it will come in time. I do have an excellent PT, the first really good one I have ever had over the years. She LISTENS to me and believes me! That is worth so much.

So good to hear from you, hang in there yourself and thanks for the advice.
 
dianemarie, Boy that was scary not be able to get on. I also panic. what am I going to do without my family? Now thats over We can take a deep breath and enjoy each other and share our life. I had a very good day but the pain class was really boring. I know I would not go again to these sessions. But I do have to make up the one I really wanted. Would you know I mess the one I really wanted to go to. It was on drugs. I think that would be very interesting. Please do take care and I hope you have a full night sleep tonight. Stay safe. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
dianemarie, I have had some of my posting dropped so have you. My last couple of posting are gone. I hope you are ok and well. Tashia
 
Diane, I came over to say Hi and I hope you have a very good day and fist of all a very good night sleep. :doggieshmooze:tashia:friends:
 
dinemarie, I see that you are a senior too. Good going. I'm glad that thinks are getting better. Many times we need to step back and look at things in a different way. I was posting when you sent me the message and yes I did overdue it today. but I have a excuse. I found that water was leaking from the ceiling of my apartment so today was a bit busy and very active. Tonight I am hurting but what can you do, Life has its surprises and you have to go with it. My tummy is feeling so much better. However I am notice other aks and pain. The weather is really being ruff so hearing that you were in the 80s made me wish I was there. We had a day of no rain, thank goodness because tomarrow is really going to be wet. So I will take a easy and try to take care of my soreness. Do take care and if its that nice go outside and get some sun for me. :th_heehee: :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
dianemarie, I notice you have a house on your name. does this mean you have been promoted? If so great, you deserver it. Today was a day of rest. Feel really good, I think I am over the hump with the tummy and my hip. I didn't hurt myself yesterday so all is well. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom