THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Diane,

WooooHooooo yes everything does become like firsts! I find I catch myself staring at the floor a lot especially in the store I think I'm worrying about wet surfaces. The shopping cart is a great walker :). Charlie you are so funny I bet everyone knows you in your supermarket lol

Hope your week is going well Diane!

xxooxx
 
Tashia,
Haven't tried the ridding carts yet but after your encouragement I think I may...I need to have some fun Ha!Ha!
Sarah,
Week is going great, thank you. Getting out, doing more fun stuff around the house (sans moving furniture!). Know what you mean about wet floors, we must be so careful. Or maybe you are looking to see if someone dropped a snickers. You sound well, have a little fun yourself.
 
Diane-
You sound like you are doing so great. I used the driving carts in the beginning. They are fun and I was impressed how helpful people were. I only had to look up at out of reach items and right away people offered to hand things down for me. Very impressive, I thought. But I live in a small town, so don't know if that makes a difference.
Having the crutch in the cart is not as visible I found.
Anyway Diane-, I hope you keep up healing well.
Bea
 
One of my first outings post op was to the supermarket with my sister and she organised to borrow one of the ride on shopping carts for me.........it was great fun! Took a bit of a while getting used to the controls but I really appreciated being out of the house at that stage - we were laughing so much at my driving skills around the aisles that I think they thought we were just doing it for fun!

Take care of yourself :doggieshmooze:
 
Thanks Bea! What kind words you offer...

Lisa, So good to hear from you, I was wondering where you were...I must try the driving carts if only for some fun and a good laugh!
 
diane I noticed you were on line and I just wanted to say Hi. The computer is giving me fits today so I'm going off line for a while. Please take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hey Sis

Great to hear the soft tissue pain has resolved and you are getting out to have some fun... It is so good for the soul :)

Lots of love xoxoxo
 
Things are doing better! Great!!! Isn't it fun when you start doing more things again!! It only gets better from here on out!

I remember one of my first outings was to Dollar General store (discount odds and ends chain of stores). I previously avoided shopping as much as possible due to pain--it was get in and get out as quickly as possible so I could sit down in my car. Not so long after the surgery I was feeling pretty good and the only place to go was to the Dollar General in a small town. I had the BEST time in there, taking my time and looking things over. I must have stayed there an hour or more! It's kind of like being reborn!!

I've also noticed that people are extra helpful when they see that I'm having a little trouble and have a cane with me. One time I was at the post office getting my mail and some mail fell to the floor. I didn't have my reacher with me and hadn't started using the "golfer's reach". A guy in there saw me kind of staring at it trying to figure out how I was going to retrieve it and practically ran over to help me. Then he offered to carry all of my mail to my car because I had a small package. I could easily carry it, but it was very kind of him to offer and I told him that.

:-)

Dorothy
 
Yes, Dorothy it is wonderful to be getting out again doing all these "new" activities. I've said before that I told my mother I think I will continue using the cane even when I don't need it anymore because people are so nice to you!
Although a first the other day when I was out...a woman stared at me rudely in a store and then when I was leaving I needed to get by her and she would not move an inch...I had to maneuver way around her...I couldn't believe it, oh well her issue not mine.
Only onward and upward from here:thumb:
 
If anyone has had pain like I will describe or knows what it is please help!

The pain is in my back, directly in the middle between my spine and L side. It usually is worse when I get up from sitting or after standing for a while. It shoots down from a little below my waist to about 4 inches below the waist point. It seems to get better if I "walk it out".

My sneakers are shot and the pain was worse yesterday so I took sneakers off and got relief. Today tried brand new sneakers and that seemed to make it worse too so am barefoot again.

Going to ice, rest, pain med but would really like to know what it is if anyone knows. Thanks so much.
 
The first step is to rest until you have this pain under control. I think you know that.

If your gluteus medius is weak, your pelvis may droop on one side as you walk. That can cause stress to your back, so you may want to look at strengthening exercises, like the side leg lift. If it is too difficult or painful to do the lift while lying on your side, try the standing version instead. (I'm on my phone, so no pictures. Sorry, but they're in the Library.)

Also, you might try gently stretching your hamstrings. We do a lot of sitting around before and after THR and that can cause the hamstrings to shorten. Stretch both sides, but be careful not to over-stretch because that can lead to a whole different set of problems.
 
Thanks so much Alex. I definitely will rest it and then try the stretches. I'll check the library to be sure I'm doing it OK. Going to try some outpatient PT next week and I'm hoping to get someone who will help. Where I live you might get someone really good...or not!
 
dianemarie, i have found that when I buy shoes I make sure they are fitted by someone who knows what their doing. Now I have to tell you I have had many injuries to my feet so I have to be very careful. I have to also wear inserts. Once you hurt your feet I believe it can be a lifetime issue. At least it is for me. Now that I have new shoes my foot is so much better but my knees still do hurt but I think that is because i am doing my apartment. I end up taking a nap in the afternoon. tonight I feel so much better tonight so that a big help. Trying to be more positive and try to let go of being sad. Pain does pull me down. A sewing buddie is helping with the apartment and is so postive and its helping me a lot mentally and phyically.
When you get up do you get up slowly? If I get up to fast I get hurt because I get stiff very easy. Do take care of those feet. Remember every day we get closer to full recovery. If anyone is reading this that has been hurt by the weather please know you are in my prayers. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Diane,

I hope that your back is feeling better today! Maybe it was just related to your visit to the grocery store -- walking with your hands up on the handles of the cart is very different from walking with your arms swinging at your sides. Of course there is also the other motions of getting stuff off the shelves, in the cart, out of the cart onto the belt, into the car & into the house...

Do you have some good supportive shoes to wear to your PT this week? I hope you get a good person that gives you their undivided attention. Always good to state your needs clearly upfront too -- "I really need your undivided attention during my sessions until my confidence is a bit higher..." or whatever you might be feeling.

Hope your weekend is going well,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie,

Yes, my back is feeling better today after some rest and some walking as alex thought I might be sitting too much and that is true! As well as the grocery store visit because all those little movements we make for the "first" time are different and use different muscles.
Thanks so much for the input for PT, I do have great new sneakers to wear and I will be very up front with the person. I love what you said to say...very encouraging.
I am having a great weekend in the house, my favorite thing in the whole world to do is putter around my house, organize, etc. and I was able to do that all day today because I wasn't venturing out in the cold and snow.

I hope you are doing well and enjoying your weekend also. Is the rolfing holding and making a difference?
 
Thats great your back is doing better!!:thumb:

I remember having awful back problems post op LTHR(all the way from upper back/shoulder area to the lower back), seems everything was adjusting the the new hip. After some time it was all good(well until the R hip started getting jealous:th_heehee:)
 
Good to hear your getting out of the house. It helps so much. Now I haven't heard that you have gone shopping and drive the cart. Its such a blast. The only problem I have with them is i want to speed down the isles and people keep getting in the way. :th_heehee:Please take care and keep working on your recovery. Remember every day puts us one day closer to full recover.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Hi Sis

Popped by to say hello and catch up on your progress. So pleased your back is better, bad backs are horrible.

Sounds like you have had a nice day pottering around the house, good fun isn't it to start to get back to some normality.

Glad the new sneakers are going well makes such a difference.

Take care and list of love and hugs xoxoxoxoxox

p.s. Had to laugh when I was writing this on my iPad the auto correct kicked in and instead of saying 'pottering' it tried to correct it to 'littering' ... Not sure that was what you were doing in the house :):):)
 
Happy Sunday Diane,

Sorry to read about your back hurting, back pain is the worse type of pain! It sounds like you rested up and feel better which is good news.

Hope your getting ready for a good week!

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom