Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee Me

Jockey, yes! I agree. What are people thinking or not thinking would be more appropriate.
 
Just about everyone I knew and some I barely knew rated my recovery with a pass/fail and they often decided fail.

I live in a 55+ community and there have been many knee replacements and even those didn’t understand why I was “so slow” and of course told me to “keep doing my exercises” and “maybe I needed more therapy”. :doh:

What I needed was more understanding, compassion and encouragement. You would think people who’ve had this done would understand, but many didn’t.

Thankfully, I had Bonesmart! :roseshwr:
 
Oh boy, I have made the bratty knee really mad. I have been doing so well and now it all seems to be going backwards. I'm sure I have over used the knee but the pain in the back of knee is disconcerting. I was working in the garden and yes I was pushing a wheel barrel. Big mistake! Now at what would be the top of the knee, in the back of the leg doesn't feel quite right. Almost like you pluck a string on a guitar when I take a step. I have iced the knee and elevated the leg but stairs going down, always a challenge, now are undoable. This ever happen to anyone else? I will be good and rest, ice, and elevate as much as I can just hope I didn't mess anything up.
 
Last edited:
You probably just upset some unhealed soft tissue areas.

I still have trouble picking up something heavy, which my guess is the wheel barrel was at least heavy enough that your knee didn’t like it.

Yes, we can still upset our drama queen knees at 4+ months post op! My biggest set back happened at 4 months when we visited friends for a weekend and I struggled the whole weekend with their standard low toilet, and nothing nearby to use to push on to help me get up. I could hardly bend my knee by the time I got home and it took a month to improve. Just in time for my son’s wedding=3 days in a row of out of state activities right after that major setback set me back another month! :doh:

But life happens, right? I hope you recover quickly!
 
Thank you Jockette. Will, have to be more attentive to tasks so not to occur any set backs in recovery. But like you said life just continues to set you up for set backs, you just have to hang in there and be ready for whatever comes your way.
 
If you are able to stop soon after you realize an activity is bothering you, especially by this time in your recovery, it should recover quickly. In my 2 cases I was stuck until the event ended. I did consider coming home early from our friend’s house but there were a couple of bad storms that evening that I didn’t want to drive through.
 
You are so right. I knew right away that I was doing too much but you get tired of not being able to do the things you use to do. After this set back though I am more determined to get better and will not be so hard headed and pace myself. I will also work more on my walking and balance.
 
If you could get the mind set that doing too much too soon will keep you from doing the things you used to do that much longer, maybe it will help you to pace yourself better.
 
Sistersinhim, This one event has set me back so much I don't think I'll ever forget NOT to overdo it again. I feel like I'm starting all over and now my opposite leg is bothering me. It also is a prime candidate for a TKR. I'm feeling quite blue and just setting back and waiting for the knee to settle down now.
 
5 1/2 months from surgery and still swelling. More localized now, front of knee just below knee cap and just off center to the outside of leg. I have given up the cane and make my way around slowly and carefully I feel I'm working the knee more and improving on my balance. I'm better in the mornings and struggle in evenings just after walking the dog. I really thought I would be further along in my recovery and dread the thought of winter a season I usually loved. Just one day not to think about the knee would be heaven, even just one event, like walking to the kitchen. Very frustrating but I don't feel like I'm not getting better it is just so painfully slow. Trying to imagine me quick stepping to the car or house to get forgotten keys or get out of a sudden rain fall seems almost unthinkable. Well, just elevating and icing now till the brat settles down. A nap is always refreshing in the afternoon on weekends.
 
Well, just elevating and icing now till the brat settles down. A nap is always refreshing in the afternoon on weekends.
Don't forget to ice the back of your knee, will you?
 
Celle, yes I will and have been icing the back of the knee. Sometimes at work, I'm a photographer for a furniture manufacturer, I will ice the back of knee for relief. I sit 70% of the day at computer and the rest of the time is in the factory taking photographs. The factory is big and I cover it front to back several times a day. I have noticed that the back of knee can swell and interfere with the bending of the knee so I will put a pack behind the knee while sitting. Thank you for the advice.
 
Very frustrating but I don't feel like I'm not getting better it is just so painfully slow. Trying to imagine me quick stepping to the car or house to get forgotten keys or get out of a sudden rain fall seems almost unthinkable.
I agree!!!!!
To be able to go to the bathroom without overthinking the sit, stand, move.... procedure
 
Jacimarble, your procedure was end of July, mine the end of May. Like I mentioned in my post it is getting better and there were no complications from my surgery it is just a marathon. I do believe that if I had this information prior to surgery my expectations for recovery would have been more realistic. My own GP said two weeks you'll be fine. What were they thinking saying that. Setting my recovery expectations that quick. Oh well on the other hand many folks who I have met who have had a TKR done and are plus one year out have said you will be fine and glad they did the procedure. I listen to folks who have had gone through this now. Continued good luck in your recovery.
 
Inclines!!! Almost 6 months post op TKR and struggling with inclines, downhill inclines. I'm fine on stairs, well slow and use railing, but any downward incline is just not happening. I'm getting tired of re-routing my walks to avoid them. Even at stores where there is an incline exiting the store to keep rain water from gathering in front of the door can be a challenge, sidewalk corners where they are modified to allow wheelchairs to easily get up and down curbs are a struggle. Anyone else have this problem? I'm walking much better and longer, stairs no problem, overall getting much stronger but need to figure this obstacle out.
 
I am still uncomfortable on a downward incline. I can handle up fine.
 
Is it still weak quads, and calf muscles that need strengthing? If I over exercise it sets me back with pain and swelling so I'm very careful now to moderate exercises but wondering if there are any specific exercise I can ease into to address the downward incline.
 
Personally I think it’s just time, others have mentioned this also.

But, I’m almost 20 months out from surgery (next week) so I think in my case, it’s all due to my my partial has not been successful.

You’re “only” halfway recovered, you have lots of time to improve. I think I am running out of time to improve. My deductible starts over in January, I will consider my options then.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom