TKR New Knee Me

The pessimism is totally understandable but I think it’s important to not let that pessimism take root and turn into depression. (I’m talking to myself as much as I am to anyone else.) This forum is definitely a good place to express those thoughts and, thank goodness, also a place to get encouragement from others, either from direct replies or from reading their recovery threads. I always feel better knowing I’m not the only one going through something. That in itself makes me feel more normal, even if my body isn’t back to normal yet.

But I want to be so much better than my “normal” of the past 3 years. To even have a chance of getting there, I need to have my other knee replaced soon. Gah.

I’m a week ahead of you and I can definitely relate to everything you say. It’s a roller coaster ride, for sure, and I hate roller coasters!!!

My quad muscle is still very weak. I had reached a point where I could get up off the couch or regular height toilets much easier than in previous weeks, but in the past few days that has become a very difficult thing to do. Again!! So there’s that roller coaster again! I’ve also used my cane a lot this week - last week I rarely used it.

Melatonin has really improved my sleep, but I still don’t sleep for more than 5 hours.

I seem to be rambling but just wanted you to know you are not alone. I feel your pain - literally!!!
 
Jockette, yes it does. Like I mentioned reading other folks post is a great help in settling my down. I have noticed its the weekends that mostly get me down. I need to reflect on all that is going well for me, no infection, continually improving, and on and on. Thank you.
 
Even with a good perspective, it’s a loooooong recovery and it’s very easy to get tired of the whole thing!

I am one of the recoveries that is not going well. Mine seems like forever. I’ve seen members with surgeries long after mine who are back to normal, and I’m still trudging through this recovery. It doesn’t take much to get discouraged.
 
Jockette, I hope your recovery takes a turn for the better. After re-reading my post they are starting to sound the same, too long, will it ever get better... but after that post and you see a response from someone who knows, or is going through what you are and says "yes, you will get better" it really helps put you back on a positive track and gives you the mental strength to carry on. Thanks to you and all for your support.
 
Thanks to you and all for your support.
:console2:

I believe a lot of my problem is from nerve damage I must have sustained during surgery. This causes me a lot of discomfort. (physically and mentally!)

In spite of my disappointing outcome, my bend continues to improve and I am 16 months post op! So much for that “window of opportunity!” It’s better now than it has ever been!

Which also frustrates me as they put so much emphasis ROM early on, as if that is the proof of recovery. It’s not!! There are many variables that indicate complete recovery. While my ROM numbers are decent, I can’t in any way say I’ve had a successful surgery.
 
Yes yes and yes, it does get better! Fatigue leaves, sleep problems normalize and everyday activities become everyday activity! It is a journey of patience, and celebrating each success. A little ROM here, more strength there.
 
The other problem with recovery is that most of us have been living "not normal" lives for a long time before the actual knee replacement. It's not like you develop a problem 2 weeks ago, have surgery and then a year long recovery....most of us have had problems for (at least) a couple of years so the thought of ANOTHER year before "normal" seems overwhelming.

The good news is that every day might not be better and every week might not be as good as we want but every month is better than it was before the surgery. It's hard to keep that in mind because we want to get on with our lives.
 
Sorry I posted an optimistic point of view. I didn’t intend to downplay before surgery struggles. Two knee replacement surgeries within 1 1/2 years is difficult. I respect your decision.
 
I think it’s important to not let that pessimism take root and turn into depression.
My old friend, Chuckle you have gone right to the heart of my fear. I have delt with depression every increasing as my knees started to limit my free time activities. I'm a photographer and would spend most of free time hiking in the woods with my dog photographing the natural scenery. As my knees deteriorated I was unable to walk into the deep woods, approach a rivers edge or to the point where I could not carry my camera equipment anymore. So, now, I have this new knee and I have to wait and fend off the heavy cloud of depression at my back. To do this I purchased a smaller point and shoot camera, explored new areas to photograph with better access and try to make lemonade with these lemons. I'm very early on this journey and my day will come. Winter is a beautiful season to take photos also.
 
To do this I purchased a smaller point and shoot camera, explored new areas to photograph with better access and try to make lemonade with these lemons.
Well done modifying an activity you love to do so it fits in with your recovery! :wowspring:

Recovery is temporary, you’ll get back to those things you love.
 
I have a question. 11 weeks post op TKR right knee. Still using the cane outside the house and walking poles at park when walking dog. I have to use the poles in the park, the trails are not paved and uneven surface, dirt, grass and such. My concern is that I'm becoming to dependent on cane. I'm still working on my gate with this new knee and yes trust is an obstacle I'm trying to overcome. When do you bit the bullet and say enough and let go. Any one else have this issue?
 
You'll find yourself walking off without your cane as time goes on. You'll go into the kitchen, for instance, set it against a wall or something, and then forget to grab it as you walk somewhere else. When that keeps happening, you are ready to walk around the house without it. As for outside, using your cane at the park makes sense as you don't want to trip into an uneven place and end up falling. I use my cane in my yard, and when I go anywhere as I want the extra stability, plus it seems to make people more careful around me, which is a good thing. As long as you feel you need it, it's not a bad thing to use it. You will naturally wean yourself from it as your knee feels stronger and more stable. I also need extra support first thing in the morning for a few minutes, as I need to kind of wake my knee up by walking around a bit. I am able to lean on furniture and counters around the house so usually leave my cane in the car, but I do still need extra support at times, so use it when needed.
 
Love to cook and see, that is EXACTLY how I'm using the cane at home. It's a must first thing in morning till my knee wakes up, then I can roam around house cane free. I use it on stairs and outside in yard and at market. Thank you for your response, it is so reassuring that others share the same experience.
 
My guess is that over the next several weeks you will need the cane or walking poles less and less. But this really is a long process.
I felt like the first three months was enough recovery to get me back to work and basic things. The next 3-4 months was getting to the point where I could think much less about the knee. By a year for my second knee I wasn't even thinking about it and didn't know exactly when that had happened!
 
Thank you Kneeper, I'll be waiting for that day to come, when the first thing I think of is not my knee. To think back 11 weeks I already have come a long way.
 
13 weeks recovery from TKR right knee. Yes, it's getting better, much better then first week and so on. I really need some advice on building quad strength. I'm working with PT but has anyone had to bring their quad back from nothing with success and what did they do to achieve this. This may just the weekend blues creeping up on me but I'm just not feeling really good with this knee at the moment.
 
My quad took a long time. It’s back now. I didn’t do any specific exercise for it, just Activities of Daily Living.
 
Thank you Jockette for your response. Time, yes that is good news. Hearing this information from someone who has actually gone through this procedure is so reassuring. Thank you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom