Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Knee Me

Better luck to you Jockette, I hope it goes better for you. It must be very frustrating having gone through this procedure and not having good results.
 
Just shy of 7 months and still in recovery. I went to surgeon yesterday because of a persistent swelling of the knee. Very localized, anterior, below knee cap, toward outside of leg, but not getting any better. I ice, elevate, take ibuprofen, wear compression sleeve but no relief.

The explanation I was give was that my prior surgery, a lateral retinacular release, I had done over 30 years ago, left my knee joint capsule with a hole in it. Really? He said this causes fluids to get trapped inside the capsule and stay. He said I will always have swelling in the operative knee.

I would like if someone else has experienced this or has any additional knowledge to share on this matter. Would this be considered bursitis? I think that has to do with an aggravated bursa?

I am much better than prior to surgery, walking up and down stairs normally, walking dog in woods, doing gardening, driving, back at work, slow on the downhills and no running yet but better.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

I had a lateral release done with my Patellofemoral and that is the spot that still bothers me 20 months after surgery. It’s the spot that most dislikes when I have pants on, and also a long bathrobe, as I recently found out. The bathrobe barely touches it. :blackcloud:

Did you have this issue in this spot for the last 30 years since the procedure?
 
I have had what I would call Irish washer women's knees since the procedure. I had swelling but not like this. This swelling is in one place and can get to be golf ball size.
 
I did read the post on this site - https://bonesmart.org/knee/knee-replacement-approaches/ - that explains the TKR procedure and mentions - Once the areas are opened up and the joint capsule is revealed, this (the capsule) is opened with a scalpel. - but there is no mention that after the procedure is completed that when closing up this is sewn, if possible, back together.
 
My knee is deceptive, there’s not much outward swelling, but that spot feels like it swells up, becoming like a big, hard bowling ball inside when I put pants on. It makes me want to scream sometimes! :hairpulling: Walking around with that feeling is so aggravating.

At 20 months post I’m losing hope that it will improve or go away.

I don’t by know anything about what you mentioned about the procedure, Josephine can answer that, she spent years assisting in joint replacement surgeries.
 
Jockette, I can hear your frustration in your post. I do hope it gets better for you. I too still have this heavy feeling where my knee once was. Like you said a bowling ball. With all this post op frustration I still feel I'm ahead of the game, my knee prior to surgery was not functional and more painful. Years from now they will look back in horror at these procedures, but for now its all we got.
 
My knee wasn’t as bad off before surgery as I thought. But hindsight is always better, right? The only time it hurt was sitting down, getting up, and doing stairs. I walked pain free. I was not bone on bone. My doctor should have turned me away. I should have gotten a second opinion. :doh: Should have, could have, would have.

I was too trusting of the first doctor I saw. Actually, I never even met my surgeon until a month before surgery, and it was scheduled 3.5 months ahead of time. I saw a PA all those prior appointments and she scheduled the surgery. I assumed she was reporting to the surgeon.

I’m very sorry I had it done.

I’m glad you feel you are better than before. At 7 months, you will still improve. My ROM and whole leg in general is better now than at my one year check up, in spite of the issues that continue. It took me a long time to recover to this point. I’m not in any hurry to do it over, though I think it’s inevitable that I will have to.
 
The explanation I was give was that my prior surgery, a lateral retinacular release. Would this be considered bursitis?
Not what he is saying but I think it likely you do have bursitis. There are heaps of bursae in the knee so it's very likely.

Can you show me where your pain is using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] New Knee Me


but there is no mention that after the procedure is completed that when closing up this is sewn, if possible, back together.
Well I think it's a given that if a structure is opened up, it must therefore be sewn back together again! Read this Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
 
Josephine, RF1D is where I have swelling. Thank you for the information on the closing procedure. Now I know, very informative. I'm appreciative of your advice. Thank you.
 
Josephine, thank you for helping me figure out my swelling. I looked on line for how to treat this bursitis. Rest, ice, elevation. Can you offer any additional things I can do? I tried to recall if there was any one single event that could have caused this and indeed there was. I knelt down on the knee for the first time putting a sofa cover on. At the time I said to myself this feels weird but not too bad. I continued to be on the knee till I got the cover completely around the sofa. What was I thinking, or not thinking. Again your advice is greatly appreciated.
 
Video removed. I posted a video for bursitis exercises I found on the internet. I has been brought to my attention that these exercises shown were not in line with the BoneSmart philosophy so I removed it. I don't want to compromise anyone's recover. The video was showing exercises for bursitis and not for TKR.
 
Last edited:
@ouch1313, I do those exercises. I actually have the incline board and the yoga strap from my original LTKR. Love the incline board. Ordered it from Amazon.
Those guys were great!!! Thanks for sharing the video! :thumb:
 
And here I’ll issue a warning for members still in early recovery (not you, @ouch1313, because you’ve gotten through the early part): These exercises are not good for knees fresh out of TKR surgery. Before the knee’s soft tissues have healed, and the bone too, these exercises with straps can put too much stress on those tissues. After three months or so, though (longer for some, but that’s an average), these exercises will be less likely to harm and much more likely to help.

Note that the video is for people with bursitis, not people healing from TKR. So heal the TKR first and if you have bursitis still, then is the time to do the exercises for that.
 
Thank you SusieShoes for letting people know that the video I posted was for bursitis and not folks early on from a TKR. I wouldn't want anyone to put any undue stress on their new knee. For myself I have been just icing, resting, compressing and elevating my leg trying to relieve the swelling in the Bursa. I will ease into these exercises as I have found a slow introduction to new exercises is more prudent.
 
Josephine, I found an excellent site that shows good stretches and exercises.
I don't agree that it's good because it's not for post-op and for another thing but is also in contradiction of BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy in which I condemn the use of straps. Though they're okay as an 'assist' for straight leg raise. I also not they recommend the use of clam shells and side abduction lifts. Both these can cause tendinitis in early pre-op hips and knees. This one is a particular no-no for knees

[Bonesmart.org] New Knee Me
 
I am just two and a half months out from my first knee replacement. I just wanted to thank you for your thread. I have read the entire thing. It has been most useful because you are several months ahead in your recovery, it makes my next few months a little bit easier to visualize and be prepared for. Good luck with your continued recovery and thanks once again for your thread and to all those who contributed. It has been incredibly helpful.
 
@Josephine, the exercise above was given to me by my physio recently to stretch my quads as they are tight. I do 4 of these every other day for 30 seconds and it's really helping. I agree that I wouldn't have been happy to do them soon after my TKR and MUA though ! I also use a strap to stretch my calf muscles too. I do a combination of strengthening and stretching exercises. I'm sensible enough to only stretch as far as is comfortable.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom