TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
:happydance:Wow Lili, you drove! Fantastic!!! My OS told me no driving for six weeks, but I'm having the right one done first. I'll be joining you on the recovery side soon. xo
 
HI @Birdy , nice to meet you! I'm also Lili, yes , some times it feels like It's been so long from my surgery , but like you said it has only been 19 days today. I'm such an active person that I want to get better so soon but I know I can't rush things, patience is one thing I have to work on . How long it took you to feel your self again? I can't seem to get out of this hole. I'm tired but I have some Spurs of energy thru out the day. Is that common to everyone? How is your knee? How much are you walking? :dogwalk:

Lili
Hi @Lili
I'm doing well cutting back on meds during day..taking at night to help with sleep and a small dose before pt. Filling in with advil. Feeling better. Have been walking around house on my own or with cane when needed. Walker only for outdoor adventures. Still getting night pain...but in general..able to think clearly now.. and getting a little bored. Still resting quite a bit. Not used to all this down time. I'm doing some cooking and washing dishes..and light household chores. Feels great to regain some independence. Love my pt gal. She doesn't push me..and the swelling is going down...more movement coming. If I could get rid of night cramping.. it would be great. Icing now.. hopefully a good night's sleep ahead.

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
So glad to hear your body is starting to normalize @Lili with the stomach and back issues you were experiencing. It is interesting in how any different ways our bodies seem to respond to the abuse they have endured - both from the surgery(s) itself, as well as the way we have "adjusted" as our knee(s)/hip(s)/back/etc. have worn down.

Seems we have quite a crew of Californians on here - time for happy hour! @Stefny , @theresav , @swmrgirl (and whomever else I might have missed!). Seems we all have much to celebrate.:happydance:
Have to report my first great night of sleep! After I got through my nighttime pain and iced my knee... I was able to sleep. [emoji276] [emoji287] [emoji294] [emoji258] [emoji259] my my dogs were cuddling in with me this morning

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
@theresav Im so happy to hear you are getting back to your full night sleep, that is so important for you to recuperate . How is your pain ? Are you still using the Walker? I started using a cane today . I will ask my PT tomorrow when she comes if it is advisable. I really don't feel the need for the Walker any more. But I will check with her.

Lili
 
HI @Clipless , I'm feeling wonderful beacause I'm so happy not to have the terrible pain that I hade on my knee before surgery. My pain is very minimal and I hardy take any pain pills , if any I take Tylenol 500. How are you doing?
Lili
 
HI @Thesoutherncook , yes I know what you mean... As soon as we fell better we think we can do everything!! I'm trying to avoid that. My daughter believes I should start doing more.. I don't know. I have started driving , going for small shopping trips to the supermarket but nothing mayor. I'm curious as to how long it took you to do normal things" how do you feel now after 3 months? Is your knee study enough? What excersices you feel have helped you the most? I hope you don't mind me asking these questions.
Thanks in advance.

Lili
 
I am doing well, thank you! I'm walking around the house a bit more, doing my gentle stretches (no PT yet), and looking forward to the milestone of a full night's sleep... sounds glorious!
 
@theresav Im so happy to hear you are getting back to your full night sleep, that is so important for you to recuperate . How is your pain ? Are you still using the Walker? I started using a cane today . I will ask my PT tomorrow when she comes if it is advisable. I really don't feel the need for the Walker any more. But I will check with her.

Lili
Hi @Lili
Pain is much better..still using a pain pill at night.. but today I went to coffee with a friend and sat comfortably for over an hour.. so bend is much better. Still.using walker outside. . Just because of people. .dogs.. etc..don't feel 100 percent confident. In house.. no problem for most part walking or just cane. Oddly enough my knee felt weak a couple times today. I'm in no hurry. . But will drop them when I'm ready.

It feels good to feel I'm over the big hump. Thanks for checking in!!!!



Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
Hi @Lili
Pain is much better..still using a pain pill at night.. but today I went to coffee with a friend and sat comfortably for over an hour.. so bend is much better. Still.using walker outside. . Just because of people. .dogs.. etc..don't feel 100 percent confident. In house.. no problem for most part walking or just cane. Oddly enough my knee felt weak a couple times today. I'm in no hurry. . But will drop them when I'm ready.

It feels good to feel I'm over the big hump. Thanks for checking in!!!!



Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
Ps. I get tired after walking 10 minutes in store.. my pt said absolutely normal. Good to walk some but don't overdue it.
I'm able to do laundry. .dishes.. mopped my floors..etc but at a much slower pace. My sister still insists to be here when I go upstairs. .and down in am. I should get my wings next week. [emoji7]

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
@Lili@theresav.....So very happy for you two that you are progressing well and moving on! It appears the same may be true for symrgirl as well. Wishing for the best for each and everyone of you!! :)
 
Hi Lili,
I do not mind you asking any question! Happy to answer any and all. I started going on short trips to the grocery store at about 6 weeks. I used the cart for support and shopped a small portion of the store sending my hubby for the rest of the list! I used the cane until I was stable and no longer limping. I still do not do all the normal thongs I did before. I hesitate to go on shopping trips with a 2 hr drive plus shopping. In the past, I did that several times a month. I also don't have the stamina yet. By late afternoon, I'm exhausted.

Heel slides, straight leg raises, mini squats and extension exercises plus a recumbent bike have seemed to help the most. When I was struggling with gait, my PT had me walk backwards! That was interesting and helped.

The hardest part for me has been patience. I'm soooooo ready to be over this and move on with life! BUT, the knee makes the rules! I still have a lot of swelling, even going down my shin, well below the incision. I massage, elevate, ice and rest several times a day. That is the biggest question I have for my OS next week!

I'm convinced that it does take TIME and Patience both in great quantities!
Hope this helps! We WILL get there. :console2:
 
@Lili@theresav.....So very happy for you two that you are progressing well and moving on! It appears the same may be true for symrgirl as well. Wishing for the best for each and everyone of you!! :)
I think patience is the big lesson here and dr . wasn't kidding when he said 3 months to "normal" activities.

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
I agree @Stefny! And all of you. So helpful to read your thread @Lili. All of you have great perspectives in the healing process, and how to manage it. Looking forward to going home and begin healing on my own surroundings. Hugs all around.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi to my September knee replacement friends . How is everyone doing? I feel good about progress this week. Still.have that nighttime pain and takes awhile to get comfy. At pt today I got to do low bike. Was supposed to just rock back and forth but found myself making full rotations after 3 minutes... Felt so good.she let me do that... slowly for about 3 more minutes. .. so proud ...
On the flip side my thigh had huge muscle spasm when trying to use leg strength to get off toilet this am. Give and take... have a good weekend all. Keep the faith.

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
Pain is much better..still using a pain pill at night.. but today I went to coffee with a friend and sat comfortably for over an hour.. so bend is much better. Still.using walker outside. . Just because of people. .dogs.. etc..don't feel 100 percent confident. In house.. no problem for most part walking or just cane. Oddly enough my knee felt weak a couple times today. I'm in no hurry. . But will drop them when I'm ready.

Ps. I get tired after walking 10 minutes in store.. my pt said absolutely normal. Good to walk some but don't overdue it.
I'm able to do laundry. .dishes.. mopped my floors..etc but at a much slower pace.
You're doing very well, but that's a lot of activity for not quite a month after surgery! Do take care not to overdo things. It's still too early to be doing any housework. Check with this article again:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
This is just a gentle reminder to some of you (including me!). This is Lili's recovery thread, so please can we confine our questions and answers to things that relate to her recovery?
Once or twice here, we've strayed away from doing that.
Thank you all. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @theresav , I'm starting outpatient PT on the 26th, one question, what is low bike? I have a recumbent stationary bike and even tho I have good rom I can't do full rotation yet, I think the pedals on my bike are to way in the back of the bike. I know what you mean about the muscles, I get that after walking today I walk 4 blocks, I'm going slow increasing a little day by day and so far so good. Just using a cane right now.
Hi @swmrgirl , how are you doing? Thinking of you !

Lili
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom