Guest viewing is limited

TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
@theresav , ok so its not only me , I guess is normal . I have to work on keeping my foot straight though. When I work from home Im not as productive , I dont know you but me I need to be at the office as I get too distracted at home.
 
My foot turns out when I'm tired and / or not paying attention to heel/toes gait. PT had me to walk backward a few times and it straightened me out!
 
@theresav , ok so its not only me , I guess is normal . I have to work on keeping my foot straight though. When I work from home Im not as productive , I dont know you but me I need to be at the office as I get too distracted at home.
I love working from home. I think I'm more productive here..I just realized that past few days in have been lax on taking advil during day. I don't think I'm ready to give it up. ...

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
@Thesoutherncook I will try the walking backwards, like how much or how long?
@Slainte ,yes at home I just do housework because I'm a little obsessive about the cleaning so I have to get out of the house to work.
@theresav Im taking Tylenol, I haven't tried the Advil yet . Does it work pretty good? I should try it.
Have anyone tried anything lite for sleeping? I sleep but I keep waking up several times during the night and it's not because of pain so I don't know what to do? So I'm tired during the day.
 
Hi Lili,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're doing so well, you're only a month out and starting back to work!
I have that tight band that I've heard so many people talking about, so it sounds quite common. I'm sure it will go away with time.

Hugs :friends:
 
@swmrgirl yes I think the tight band feeling is comun so not to worry about that. How are you? Are you using the Walker? I'm starting my out patience PT on Monday! I hope I get someone gentle and underestand inn and not pushy. Will see , I will keep everyone updated. How is your pain? I have almost no pain , just the back of my knee but I hade that pain before the surgery so it may take some time to go away , I hope it goes away soon . I'm only on a couple of Tylenol 500 a day may be twice a day some days only . So not too bad. Keep us updated and take care and rest a lot , that is what I did the first two to three weeks , rest and sleep a lot.
 
Tylenol PM is worth a try. With knee number one, I took it for a couple of weeks, and it kind of taught my body to sleep again. The last night I took it I slept 11 hours straight and realized it was time to back off! Looking forward to getting off the pain meds with knee number two and back to the Tylenol PM to learn to sleep again. Probably won't be ready for that for a couple more weeks.

I liked your out patience PT also! If they are pushy, just push back. When I met my PT, I just laid down the ground rules. Told him I would do my best, to the point of a good stretch. I would stop at pain. We did very well. Have a lovely weekend!
 
Tylenol pm is worth a try for sleeping. It helped me. I still go down the stairs backward when I'm lugging a basket of laundry or anything else big. While in rehab they let me practice going backward, the pt wasn't happy about it, but it worked for me. Before my TKR I had to go backward all the time.
 
Hello !! How is everyone?? I need some help and I would appreciate any comments . I,m starting outpatient PT on Monday and I have a co-payment of $40 every time I go and I will go twice a week for 2 months . After my co payments for my surgery I cant afford it. can I do with out it? can I do the rehab my self? I dont want to miss out if it is totally necessary but I had soooo many expenses with my knee that I already stretch my budget to the max , I put a lot of expenses on credit cards , so I don't know what to do . any thoughts about this?
 
My dad and best friend also had high co-pays on Pt. They both went for two weeks and decided they could do what the PTs were doing with them at home. Josephine did no PT and is great. I would think if you were able to bike and walk you would be fine, but I'm sure Celle or Pumpkln have advice. I rode my bike on my off days from PT, I do wish I had walked more.
 
Lili, your progress is so encouraging!! Just 4 weeks out and out walking... Woohooo!
Sounds heavenly to me, I can't walk that far now. My surgery is Wednesday and I am hoping to be able to post a good report like yours when I am one month out.
As for PT I would just have them show you a home routine and tell them to print the exercise instructions for home. Weights for your ankles are cheap so you can add that if necessary . Remember Josephine did it with barely any exercise at all!!
 
@Clipless and @Slainte yes my " out patience Pt is a typo, sorry .:heehee:@KarriB and @Slainte I will give the Tylenol PM a try. And in regards to the PT I will go to a couple of sessions and I will have them print some of the exercises to do at home and may be I can do them at home like @Glamg1979 said. Glam , before my surgery I had to think twice before going to the restroom !! it was a total nightmare. you will feel so great after surgery you are not going to believe it. I will be waiting for you on this side of the recovery . :flwrysmile:keep us posted!! thank:thankyou: you all .
 
Hi Lili!
I've been on the run all day and just now catchng up with BS friends. You asked about walking backwards in PT. i walked about 20 steps backward with someone close by to keep me from falling! It was hard to go backward and concentrate on walking toe then heel. Then I retraced my steps going forward heel to toe. Hope this helps?!:dancy:
You can do the PT yourself. Go read Josephine's posts about her recovery and lack of PT! A few heel slides and you're good ! :egypdance: Keep us posted! We'll keep cheering you on.....!M
 
I did all of my own PT on my own at home. The therapist in my OS office gave me a sheet of exercises I could do when I saw them each month at my checkup. There really isn't any reason you can't do this on your own. Save the money you would spend on co-pays and join the YMCA or a health club that has a pool that you can start gentle exercises in, then work up to the bike and later weights.
 
My PT was different because I was almost three months out of TKR surgery and had not been allowed to bend my knee for a month. I knew I needed a good PT to help me with a very stiff knee that really wasn't swollen and muscles that I hadn't used in three months as well. I had done nothing but elevate and rest for a month with an imbolizer on. My leg had never looked so skinny! I went to a PT that was in my OS office, knowing that if something happened there would be a physician close by.
I'm sure you'll be able to work on pt at home with great results.
 
Boy @KarriB you really went through quite an ordeal with your knee! So glad you came through on the winning side .:yay: You are very good at encouraging all of us.​
 
Hello !! How is everyone?? I need some help and I would appreciate any comments . I,m starting outpatient PT on Monday and I have a co-payment of $40 every time I go and I will go twice a week for 2 months . After my co payments for my surgery I cant afford it. can I do with out it? can I do the rehab my self? I dont want to miss out if it is totally necessary but I had soooo many expenses with my knee that I already stretch my budget to the max , I put a lot of expenses on credit cards , so I don't know what to do . any thoughts about this?
Hi Lili
There is so much info on you tube and Internet for pt excercises needed for knee replacement plus on this site. As long as you do it..I think you will be fine.
It is expensive. . you sound like you are doing great.

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom