TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle, thanks. I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but when is it okay to do weights? I do not go back to PT until Monday. PT has mentioned recumbent cycle. Is it too soon to attempt that?
Don't start weights until at least 3 months after your surgery. Your knee needs all that time to heal, before you start trying to strengthen it.

The recumbent cycle should be OK, as long as it doesn't hurt your knee.
 
Thanks so much for your input. I'll stop the weights. I certainly don't want to damage my knee.
 
The recumbent exercise bike is nice to use for a few minutes-like 4-5-- to loosen up--starting with just rocking back and forth as a stretch.

PTs want us to be "compliant." If he/she pressures you to do weights just say "not yet." I was lucky I had a PT that I could "negotiate" with. :)
 
@nomoreski ,yes everything good so far , ROM not too bad 105 , and today I started walking a little bit with out the Walker, feels weird !! I guess have to get use to new knee! Thank you !!
@NightQuilter , thank you for your kind words where you out on vacation? Because that is what I need after I recover from surgery a good vacation!!:swim: A good hotel and near the beach!!
@wings yes , can't complaint on sleep , however I have a question for everyone, do you girls get rid of ALL YOUR KNEE PAIN with the pain killers? Because for me even with the pills I still have some pain, what is yours like?
@theresav your dog looks exactly like one of my dogs , mine is a male named Fred. I'm trying to find out about pain , does yours go completely away with pain killers or you still have some pain? Glad your appointment went well and everything is going good!

Thanks girls and good night ,I hope we can have a good night rest.

Lili
 
My pain lifts away pretty much after my meds and ice as often as possible. BUT my OS said I need to cut back on dosage.. it's pretty high. I'm tired but talk more tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
@Lili, your ROM is great!regarding the pain I have 10mg Norco tablets prescribed 1 or 2 every 6 hours. Initially 2/6 hours would not eliminate my pain. For a day or two I reverted back to 2 every 4 hours that worked at the hospital. That worked. After a day or two I could stretch it out to 6 hours. Then I advanced to 1 every 6 hours during day and at night I still take 2. I don't have pain at that dosage.i would call it a mild discomfort.
 
Hi wings and Lili
Using ice packs I bought and some from hospital. Plus a wrap a round type I bought on amazon...so freezer is stocked. Have 8 or 9 to rotate .

Up at 4 24 am for meds and going to get up now for few minutes. Reading my posts makes me understand how strong meds are. Some are hard for me to understand... not explaining myself well.

Hoping to sleep upstairs tomorrow or Saturday night for first time. my poor dogs..sure miss having them snuggle up at night. They jump on my couch when I get up and insist on some mommy time. [emoji5] had a stiff pain meltdown last night Meds and ice ouch worked worked 30 pm.


Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Lili - 105 a week & half after surgery!? You are a rockstar! :wowspring: Just don't overdo - they did a lot of construction in there and it needs to heal. You don't want to push it so far that those delicate sutures and such get irritated or torn. I found that gentle massage (not near the surgical site yet) from the ankle up was very effective in keeping the lymph moving and reducing swelling (and with swelling reduction comes less pain!). I also spent a lot of time laying on the couch with my leg up against the wall to let gravity do its part - I suppose that is taking the rest & elevate BoneSmart mantra to an extreme! I did not get complete relief from pain killers, but just stay on schedule with them:chillpill:. And ICE!:ice:

I just returned from Spain where ... get this ... we hiked over 100 km on the Camino de Compostela!! You may not want to try that just yet, but at nearly 3 years post-new knees, I made it!! :wow: (Oh, and a lumbar fusion surgery in April.) So, the good news is ... there IS life after knee replacement!!:yahoo:
 
Is the pain worst in am? My legs feel so stiff in am?
@theresav are you taking pain meds during the night? I've often observed that people who say that are going from bed time to getting up without any pain meds which certainly will contribute to morning pain and stiffness (stiffness is a form of pain, don't forget)
Went to see os today. All is good. Wants me to start cutting down on my medicine
But you're not even two weeks out yet! That's outrageous. If your OS won't prescribe, see if your GP will. But you must have adequate pain meds for at least 10 weeks.
said my bending is good for now but to keep practising bending and getting it straight. Said this was the most important things and that walking long distances not important at this time.
Well, I agree about that not walking long distances but be careful about the flexion and extension activities. don'tever do them so they cause you pain.

If your surgeon did not cut into your quad doing light weights should be fine
This is incorrect. It matters not if the quads have been cut, weights are ill-advised until at least 12 weeks out. Besides which, quads cut is a very old-fashioned technique and very few surgeons use it nowadays.
 
I can certainly attest to waiting 12 weeks to add weights. My PT waited about 15-16 weeks before adding weights and when he did I really had little soreness. It didn't effect how I felt the next day at all and I was back to teaching.
 
@theresav are you taking pain meds during the night? I've often observed that people who say that are going from bed time to getting up without any pain meds which certainly will contribute to morning pain and stiffness (stiffness is a form of pain, don't forget)
But you're not even two weeks out yet! That's outrageous. If your OS won't prescribe, see if your GP will. But you must have adequate pain meds for at least 10 weeks.
Well, I agree about that not walking long distances but be careful about the flexion and extension activities. don'tever do them so they cause you pain.

This is incorrect. It matters not if the quads have been cut, weights are ill-advised until at least 12 weeks out. Besides which, quads cut is a very old-fashioned technique and very few surgeons use it nowadays.
I do take pain meds in middle of night..set alarm but often pain comes before the alarm.
T.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning to all my bonesmart friends! At 11 days post surgery can't complaint. I think I'm doing really good, following the bonesmart mantra , rest, ice elevate , and more rest Lol. Doing the basic excersices . I had one PT session this week but I asked her to come back next Tuesday after my staples and compression socks are out. I also have 12 sessions of outside Phisical therapy authorized by my inssurance. Today I'm going to try to walk outside for a little bit and see how I do. My upper thigh still hurts a little, is that normal? Any one else having that?

@NightQuilter congratulations! The Camino de compostela is a great accomplishment and a great test for your new knee!!:wowspring: Two of my Daughters did the Camino the compostela this year ,they started in O'cebreiro and they loved it!! I'm sure you did two. So there is hope for me , because my oldest Daughter was talking about going with me and I didn't think I could do it with my fake knee" I'm glad to hear that!

@theresav, I did what @Josephine said, I spoke to my PCP and he had no problem prescribing Pain medicine, Norco 10mg and tramadol 50 mg every 6 hrs, that seems to work fine , most of the pain (not all ) goes away.

Thank you @wings , yes I'm trying to slowly work on my ROM and extension . For the pain meds they always gave me the meds every 6 hrs , I didn't know if I could take them every 4 , I should ask my PCP.

@KarriB .. That's what I'm afraid of when I go to PT , the weights! I have never been a very muscular person so every little exercises I do my muscles really let me know how they feel next day! So I will try to take them easy when I have to do them :scaredycat:

Have a great weekend everyone. Let keep in touch! Take care!

Lili
 
@Lili yes my upper thigh still.hurts from tourniquet. Massaging gently upwards towards torso helps plus ice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I have plenty meds but trying to escape the fog of it all by cutting back some.

I'm finally feeling relief from yesterday's pain. Doing my excercises. 12 days post op. Getting up and such much easier..Needing my sis around less and less. She is just 5 min away so that is also comforting.

Now for the dreaded heal slides. I'm mixing those up between lying down and in chair.

glad to hear u r doing well and venturing outside.

T
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Lili. Sounds like you're doing beautifully! Thank you for sharing your journey. I think of you often. ❤️
Julie


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lili im so glad things are going so well for you after the presurg struggles! Today is a great day to be outside on the Texas Gulf coast. I'm lucky in that my thigh never hurt. Yesterday there were some twitches but I think that was a side effect of the weights.

@theresav glad the pain is better. I'm enjoying some independence today as well. I'm home alone, taking care of myself and everything is going well.

Happy weekend! :happydance:
 
OMG a big back pain just set in!! Now why?? What to do?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom