TKR New Knee for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh your projects sound so darling! Please do take pictures when you are done with them to share.

I totally understand about some exercises being so painful. However, I do not do any exercises that cause that much pain (tears) either at home or at PT. You certainly don't want to push too hard and set off the inlfamatory response which will only result in more swelling. My most difficult exercise is also the straight leg raise. It causes very sharp pain around my patella and my PT mentioned that my patellar tendon was irritated and we'll have to watch it. I can generally do a few of them before it gets to be too much and my PT and I have decided not to push it too much - especially since we can target my quad in other exercises that do not cause that pain.

Sorry I didn't answer your question about the heat sooner, I read it in my email, but forgot which thread it was in once I logged on to the laptop, thanks for tagging me again. My PT uses a very warm, moist heat for at least 10 minutes at the beginning of every session. I would caution you to note your swelling before you do this because you don't want to increase it accidentally with the heat. If your knee is still very swollen, you may try to place the heat just around your quad to start. I have been fortunate to not have too much swelling so the PT puts this warm, moist head pad from quad to calf. I really hope it helps you.

I too find that my knee gets very stiff if left in one position for any length of time. My sleep is very disrupted by both my knee stiffening up and my lower back and hip. I have yet slept for more than 2 consecutive hours since my surgery due to this. I now have a muscle relaxer prescription that is helping with the back/hip some and leaving me only the stiff knee to contend with.

I've read many accounts on here of those with sleep troubles (see the library articles as well), and many bonesmarties say this too shall pass. We are in the early stages yet so patience is the name of our game.

Good luck with the heat, please let me know how it works for you. Please take it easy on yourself during those exercises too, no need to further aggravate all that soft tissue that was messed with during surgery. There will be a time for strengthening our muscles where we will have to push ourselves, but as I understand it, these early weeks are for healing and gaining gentle flexibility.
 
Jennie,
How nice that you're going to be a grandmother! You will love it - we have a two year old grand daughter and she is adorable, lots of fun, and makes me feel young (well except when I sit on the floor playing with her and can't figure out how to get up :hissy: But hey once I get the other knee done this fall that won't be a problem!) and you're knitting must have gone well because I didn't hear any distant screaming :yikes: I don't knit or do any handiwork like that but I love to cook and I can't wait to do that again. I took an early retirement from teaching a few years ago so I don't have to juggle too much. I just manage a household of me, husband, a 5 year old Jack Russell Terrier and an 18 year old cat! :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:

By the way, we made it to the lake house! The change of scenery was wonderful. Home again now and ready to tackle another week of recovery!

Heidi
 
Hi Sarah, thank you. I used a wheat pack, only gently warmed and placed it on my quads. Seemed to help me. Instead of leg lifting from the ground, I now leg lift whilst on the bed. That worked a bit better for me today. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (bad trait sometimes) so I get stuck in to the exercise sheet to do what I'm supposed to do til I see the PT in a weeks time. But like you say we don't want to stir things up, so I am going to keep telling myself (hope I listen) to go slowly and not push it. Sarah, did you get to the barn to see the horses?
Hi Heidi Baystater - so glad you got to the lake house, it must have been so good to be in different surroundings.Our weather wasn't so good at the weekend, but if it's nice this coming weekend I'll get hubby to take me to the sea for fish and chips. We're only about 20 mins away, just some sea air will be bliss. Knitting is coming along, quite enjoying it. We're having a granddaughter I believe (no surprises these days), so I will do something in pink once I get the hang of it. Our son's first child. Our daughter has 2 Jack Russells - they certainly keep her and her husband on their toes. Daughter is not interested in children just yet, just loves her dogs, they're her babies she says. Have a wonderful day. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Just catching up with you. I also had Xarelto. My husband had had routine blood tests with his hip replacement. I was delighted to not have to go through that routine.

Looks like your tumble is behind you now. I was about 3 months when I had an unexpected tumble out in the barnyard. It took me a bit to manuever to the fence and get myself up enough with my arms before I finally maneuvered my good leg into position to get me up. There was a just a bit of snow and it wasn't fun being down.

Hope you're enjoying the knitting. I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated.
 
Jenny I hope your knee starts to loosen up soon for you as they say "only early days" for you still! You could knit the other daughter some matching dog coats for her jack russells :heehee: All this knitting talk has me thinking should I get some wool for my recovery!
 
Hi Kathy landoz - I think getting some wool would be a good idea. Once the op is done you have lots of hours in the day. I don't even wear my watch anymore, what's the point. How are you travelling? Two weeks to go, not long now. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
I am thinking of dragging out the old knitting needles it's been about 15 years since I have knitted. I'm not too bad not looking forward to going off celebrex next week it will be a wee bit more pain. Countdown has well and truly started only one week left at work and I can just concentrate on getting prepared for the the BIG op. :dancy:
 
I'm starting to wean myself from neurontin by taking it every other day per instructions. So far so good. Is your avatar your daughter's jack russell? or do I have my breeds mixed?
 
Hi Martha hhilltop. My avatar is not a Jack Russell he is mini fox terrier with a little chihuahua mixed in there. If you go to Heidi's thread (Baystater - Brand New Day) that is a Jack Russell lying on the front of the boat. Have a good day. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jennie! Curious how you are progressing with walking and what you're using for support? Just yesterday I started to transition from two crutches to one (my PT said now that I can do the quad lift I could try using just the one.) I'm just doing it with short trips around the house so to the bathroom or kitchen and then back. It's so liberating! :) This morning after my husband left I actually went to the kitchen, fixed another cup of coffee and carried it back to the family room. And I didn't spill a drop!

And Martha hhilltop, that is my little JRT on our boat snoozing in the sun. As a fellow New Englander you'll appreciate her name - it's Chowda, as in New England Clam "Chowda".

Heidi
 
Yes, you are a New Englander with a JRT named Chowda. Looks like he/she has the right markings for the name, too. Nice to see you can start your day with a second cup of coffee delivered on your own. Way to go!
 
And Jenny, that mixed breed looks about the size of a JRT, though now that I'm thinking about it, I think JRT's are almost always mostly white with bits of color. Am I right, Heidi?
 
Hi everyone, I am trying to catch up on some posts, and found this one. I feel every time I start reading someone's story and all the comments that I am making new friends!! Honestly, this sight has saved my sanity through all the doubts after scheduling the surgery to realistically knowing what to expect after. :SUNsmile:
I am fairly newly single living in a little one bedroom apartment. My daughter and the three grandchildren live in the same complex, which is nice but she has not been supportive of my scheduling the surgery and "thinking it through". But I find support and friends here, and for that I thank you all!
Jenny, congrats on impending grandma-hood. It is wonderful. I like to say the only thing better than being a grandma is being a grandpa when the kids are a bit older!
And to everyone else...I am thinking about crocheting again for the first time in what seems like 100 years!!
 
Hi Heidi Baystater. After seeing the physiotherapist a week ago he told me to try free walking a little bit. I got rid of the walker and started using my walking cane. I have that in hand all the time, but make a conscious effort of not leaning on it if I can, just there if I get that unstable wobble. Have found on occasion that I rest the cane somewhere whilst making a cuppa or washing hands and walk off and leave it there unknowingly. Only realize when on the move again "where's my cane"? I suppose that shows that my knee is becoming stronger and my free walking is becoming easier. Consciously trying not to limp, but difficult when knee feels a bit sore and stiff. Having said that, by the end of the day, knee is tired, maybe stiff and swollen, I am really leaning on the cane. Exercises are still difficult, it's like I feel every movement grab in the centre of my knee. I push on and find the knee goes a little numb (or accepting) and I can get through them. I have a little floor cycle, like a stationery bike, but no seat, just pedals on the floor and I have been able to use that with the pedals pushed out a bit. Last week just rocking, this week can go round - but not for long though, only about 2 mins. I see the PT today so I'll see how I'm progressing then.
Hi Martha hhilltop. Jack Russels are quite a bit bigger than my Tiny. JRT's are solid dogs, so my little one is constantly dodging my daughter's dogs so he doesn't get knocked over.
Hi Shelly Shellbelle. Your TKR is fast approaching. I am sad for you though that your daughter is not fully supportive of your op. Somehow you're going to have to get her to understand just what you're about to go through, because you are going to need her. Yes, you most definitely will get huge support from this site, but you also need someone close to you. Maybe you could get your daughter to view the knee replacement operation video, there's a number of them on YouTube. Quite graphic, but she will then know that this is "not a walk in the park for you". It's difficult for others (except here of course) to know just how we put up with arthritic pain and often for a long time. People around us see us coping day to day, but they don't realize that every step we take is a painful step and eventually you just have to make that decision to have the TKR surgery. It's a long road and sometimes not an easy one, but seeing others on this site making such wonderful progress, we will all get there in the end and have a far better life with our new knee. I wish you all the best on your journey. As for the knitting - I am really quite enjoying it. Have not knitted in probably 20 years, but it passes the day. My first bootie, not so good, so that is my trial one, but seem to have the tension right now and moving right along with a little more success. So yes, get out that crochet hook and wool to pass some of the time because you won't be going anywhere for a while. Have a wonderful day. :puppysmooze: Jenny
 
Jenny, I'm so glad the heat worked well for you! How did your appointment at PT go today? I'm glad to hear that you've moved to the bed for your leg lifts too. I learned at PT that leg lifts while laying down (maybe to your elbows) is easier than doing it from sitting up. I would then imagine doing it sitting up with leg on floor below you is even harder!

I hear you on the pain in the center of the knee. It's the pain that gets me too - every time. My PT has found any up and down movement of my newly resurfaced knee causes this pain for me at the moment. She doesn't seem concerned, but we are working around it until it calms down a bit more.

Yes, I did make it out to the barn - twice! It was amazing to spend time again with the horses, they are such amazing animals. My horse is still young (just about to turn 4) and is so sweet and gentle. Luckily for me, he is curious but doesn't generally have an overly high play drive so he is very content to stand around with me taking treats and being groomed in the sun. :yay:

Glad to hear all is well with you - you are making great progress! I too am working on the transition to unassisted walking, albeit slowly. My OS and PT both agree it takes time and not uncommon for me to need to go back to needing it in the evening (or after sitting for a while). We'll get there in the end and have strong, happy knees to take us where ever it is we want to go!
 
Just come back from PT and he's pleased with my progress. 98 flexion (93 last week) and 5 degrees off full extension. It was 10 last week. Just happy that we're going forwards, slow and steady is great for me, and the PT is very happy with that. He just worked on scar tissue massage (happy for him to do it I hate having to do that to myself), gentle knee massage, bending etc. Feels pretty good now. I told him I couldn't manage the 3 times a day for exercises, so he said to try and see if I could at least do one set (11 exercises) once more in the day. I have been doing those 11 exercises, 10 times each, twice a day. I know what he's saying, he just wants me to improve on what I've been doing this past week, so I will do my best. I told him I was struggling with the leg lift from the floor and wasn't doing it, and he said not to do it, continue doing it on the bed. He could see it was working when he asked me to lift my leg. Very easy to say "lift" but I have to concentrate soooo hard to make that leg lift. Crazy to think it can be so difficult. Retraining the knee!! So a good end to my day. You all have a great day. Jenny:puppysmooze:
 
Hello Jenny, I am just catching up on your posts.
Congratulations on your bootees, glad you are enjoying knitting for your grandchild. It passes the time and is also something special to do.
You are making great progress. Your ROM is doing well, you are doing your exercises, walking without aids. It is normal to need your supports later in the day as you get tired. Just go with the flow, do what you can. Rest when you need to and follow Sarah's forevergimpy advice about not doing anything that is painful.
The first couple of weeks seem to go slowly then the next three whizz by. Just enjoy this time in your recovery bubble where you have permission to enjoy life in the slow lane.
Have a great day,
Hugs and congratulations for great progress, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :)
 
Your doing really great Jenny :yay: and walking unaided already ! sounds like the booties are also coming along. My day is getting closer can't wait to get it over with. Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Jenny - I'm envious of your ability to walk unaided! What a nice feeling that must be and I think it speaks to your progress and how well it is going. It took me awhile to finally get my quads to "wake up" but I'm getting there and hopefully by next week my PT will give me the go ahead to use just a cane (or nothing at all around the house.) Those little floor peddlers are great aren't they? I've been using one this week also, experimenting with pulling it closer to the chair to increase the flexion. I also have a stationary bike (I bought the floor peddler for when we go to the lake or to visit the kids) but I don't think I can coordinate my legs to get on it yet - kind of scary! :shocked:

My biggest problem at this point is boredom....I underestimated how boring TKR recovery was going to be! However if my biggest problem is being bored than I really have nothing to complain about :)

Martha@hhilltop my girl Chowda is a rather well fed JRT so she is about 18" tall but weighs a hefty 16 pounds or so. So not a big dog but a little powerhouse just the same! Jenny, I keep forgetting to say your little Tiny is adorable - I love her big ears! :puppysmooze:

Kathy@landoz you're almost there! Have you started thinking of titles for your recovery thread?

Heidi
 
Restless night last night. The knee cap was aching after the massage by PT. Little stiff and sore this morning so dreading the exercises! Pity you are suffering with boredom Heidi Baystater. It makes for a very long day. Have you any hobbies? I was inspired by Toothfairy and Jetthugger with their knitting and crocheting skills and that got me thinking about getting out the knitting needles. It's something I would never have the time to do normally. I am enjoying it and it passes the time. What about putting together a scrapbook (jazzed up photo album) for your granddaughter. I am sure you would have heaps of photos. I put together albums for my two kids and gave it to them on their 21st birthdays. Just a story of their life, bit of family history put in there too. Something for them to remember me by. For Christmas last year I completed a recipe book for the kids of all the meals they enjoyed whilst growing up. It all began when our daughter came home from a visit to a friends house (she was little then) and I asked her what they had for dinner. She said they'd had roast lamb and veg, but the cauliflower with cheese sauce was just not the same as yours mum. It got me thinking - we throw a bit of this and a bit of that into what we're making but they wouldn't have a clue what was in the making of that cheese sauce. They were absolutely thrilled with it. It wasn't a big book, just their favourites. Our son who is a chef, was quite emotional receiving it. I did it through a company in America called Shutterfly. Took me forever to do it as I was doing it in my spare time, (which I don't have much of). You can put together photo albums through Shutterfly too. Comes as a bound book. It's quite addictive. Just a thought. That quad muscle is hard to wake isn't it? I had kept up with my exercise before the op, concentrating on the quads, so was disappointed it was not working. Still very hard for me to lift the leg, although with effort I can do it now. You sound like you're doing well Heidi, we've just got to get rid of that boredom girl!!!! Take care and have the best day you can. I have the most beautiful Autumn day, blue skies, sun shining and a bird who is singing his heart out outside my bedroom window. What more could a girl want?? Jenny :SUNsmile: :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom