Guest viewing is limited

TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
85 to 100 within a week is great! I'm glad it's working for you! You'll probably get a couple more bills. Mine was about $60,000, but that was for two knees.
 
I had a rough day today. Not the knee so much but Mother Nature decided to give me the worst Christmas present ever and I had to deal with severe cramps today. Oh boy, not my idea of a good Christmas. And of course I had several places to go to today too. So I went and was in misery all day. The knee hurt a little all day but that pain was a tickle compared to the other. For some reason mine are the worst of anyone I know. So I'm now on Vicodin, an NSAID & a muscle relaxer plus a heating pad. At least it will do double duty and cover the knee at the same time. Now to try to sleep through this pain. I wonder how this will go.

I wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and hope that Santa treated you well this year. You deserve it for all that you've been through!
 
8 weeks today! Part of me thinks back to week one and thinks Wow! Look how far I've come! And then the other part of me thinks sheesh I have so much more to go before I'm back to normal! I know that several people were farther along at this point than I am but I know I'm progressing and I did have the MUA just a week and a half ago so I just have to be happy where I am. I can walk without the cane but I still walk a bit funny when I do and I lose stamina when I do go without the cane so I still use it often.

I have PT 3 times a week still so I am just going to build the strength and muscle control as best as I can until I get back to normal again. I will do the best I can and no one can ask anything more of me.
 
Shelly dont be so hard on yourself. You have done so well and should be so proud. As well as the TKR you have also had the MUA and are improving every day. I know what you mean about the cane. I try to go without it but I can feel myslef limping so resort back to the cane when I go out. I just thought I would be walking normally by Christmas and its a little disapointing. I still cant climb the stairs properly yet can you. Im still one step at a time. O well we will keep trying in the New Year and we will get there. Have a Happy Holiday. Hope the cramps are better.. Nothing worse.
 
Cramps are better today, thank you! :)
I got my ROM to 106 today! We did a lot of stretching and traction first and then she had me do some heal slides and then she measured me. I am so thrilled with the results of my MUA! I was so nervous to have it done based on the stories I read on here from others but I want everyone to know that it really wasn't all that bad and it gave me great results. If you asked if I would do it again, I would say heck yes! I have gained over 20 degrees in less than 2 weeks. I still have a little trouble with my straight leg raises and working that quad but I am trying. I find that when I do those it causes that stupid pain in the area just below the knee toward the outside so I don't do them often. Like everyone says, if it hurts, don't do it. So I don't. I am trying to walk without the cane as much as I can around the house and at my office. I think that it is helping me to learn to walk normal, but as soon as it starts to ache, I grab the cane again because I don't want to over do it.

I am looking forward to 01/02/2013 as all the holiday stuff will be done and I can get serious about cleaning my home (putting away decorations!) as well as joing the YMCA or something to be able to get more pool activity. I think I will make it my evening PT when I am not at PT and get my hubby to come too. This way we can work out together and both get into a shape other than round!
 
You know Shelly, there is something basically wrong with dealing with a knee replacement and still getting your period and dealing with that. Just not right at all. I know when I had my hip replacement a year ago, I had went 6 months or so with nothing, then hip replacement and a month or so later there it was again and I thought so not fair but now I am almost officially menopausal, it will be a year come the first of Feb and they say a year without is, it should be over. Fingers crossed I am done. Those pain pills should come in handy at least.
 
106 for ROM! You go girl!!!!! You must have been so proud! :thumb:
I know that I would catch myself doing heel slides and quad strengthening exercises when I was sleeping! I would push my heel into the mattress and tighten my calf muscles any time I was aware of being awake, it felt really good and I think it helped me relax.
I wish you the best my friend, because you certainly are moving in the right direction!
 
Cramps are better today, thank you! I got my ROM to 106 today!

Life and cramps sometimes get in the way,don't they!
Congratulations on your ROM, that is a fantastic outcome from the MUA!
It deserves a two thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb:
 
My right hip feels out of place tonight. Hence I'm up at 1:45am when I have to get up in 5 hours. Ugh! Usually if its out I can twist myself and get it to pop back in place but tonight it won't do it. So, here I am. :gaah: :hairpulling:
 
Oh Shelly, I am so sorry to hear that you were in so much misery with your hip that you could not sleep. I hope that you were able to get it to pop and settle down so that you got some sleep before you had to get up and go to work... (((((hugs)))))
 
I've been having hip pain also. PT said it was normal and to massage my leg. She said I am using my leg in a way that I haven't used it in years. Actually using it properly.
 
Bruce you have a good point there. But.....I am now getting the same pain on the non surgical side. Probably related to my gait too. Hugs!
 
I am so happy that I had my hip replacement last Dec. To think of the years I put up with that hip pain and not sleeping. I use to wake I bet a dozen times a night with having to shift to get comfortable. I still wake a few times, but nothing like I use to. Yes, you might be having hip pain from having the knee replaced and you are using your leg differently now. But if any of you are dealing with long term hip problems, do not hesitate to check into the anterior hip replacement. It was so worth it for me.
 
Debbie, thats one thing I know is good and that is my hips. Becuz of my fibro, I was thinking I had developed hip issues too so had the ortho check them out. And said they both look great. So pretty sure mine is just all from the tkr and change in gait and of course the pain in the butt fibro. Hugs!
 
Happy Sunday folks!

I'm hurting a bit today and it could be one of two things.
1) on Friday my favorite PT gal was out sick so I got put with a different gal that doesn't know me. Most of what I did was normal exercises but then she decided to help my extension by putting my ankle on a folded towel and then pushing down on my knee. I kept saying "ow" and she wasn't getting the picture so I said "that is hurting a bit" and she says "I'm barely pushing" so I said "I don't know what to tell you but it hurts me!" She finally stopped but I think it was too late.
2) I did some cleaning around the house including laundry, dishes, and I got on the floor to clean a low area and had to get back up. I did it very carefully, but I did it! :happydance:

On a side note, I looked in the social room and can't find anything about the New Years Eve party. Can someone add a link to it here for me?
 
No I couldnt find it either Shelly. I would certainly say that your PT didnt help adding that little exercise. They are suposed to stop when we say it is hurting not say Im barely pushing. Hope you dont have that particular PT again. Probably all that cleaning and bending didnt help either. Rest up now ready for the party. If we ever find it.
 
Here's a copy of the email I received. Don't know what you didn't get one, too. (UK time is 5 hours ahead of US Eastern Std. Time.)



Dear BoneSmart Forum Member,

Once again it is time to hold our New Year's party in the forum's Social Room. It will start on 31st December at noon UK time (Convert that to your local time. Sorry, it just got too complicated working out all the international times!) It will run on until people stop posting.

It doesn't matter if you registered years ago or if you haven't been back in ages, please do drop in and post to say hello and let us know how you are doing. We would be so delighted.

In the meantime, hope you had a really wonderful Christmas to be followed by a great New Year!

Blessings and best wishes,
Josephine



 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom