TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand about feeling like you are holding someone back. I'm almost 9 weeks post op and I still have my hubby take me to work (I'm a fool and came back to work full time after 3 weeks) and sometimes go to the store or wal-mart with me just so that he can dump me off at the door. By the time I'm done shopping, I really don't want to drive home! I sometimes think that my reaction time is slowed because of all of the walking.
 
Good luck with your return to work...you may need to go into the just after surgery mode at home and just rest ice and elevate to recover each evening. I hope you have planned effortless meals and no chores to give yourself a break at home!
 
Shelly you really need to slow down. I think with you just coming out of this MUA you need to give yourself a break. Screw what your hubby thinks. Did he have this surgery? No. You really need to allow yourself to rest and recover some. I am concerned you are going to hurt yourself, pushing so much like this. A concerned friend!
 
Shelly,
You really need to slow down and not care about what ANYONE else thinks, that includes hubby, boss anyone. You need to really take care of yourself now. You have already had an MUA and do you really want to have another. Just because age wise you are younger than most does not mean you will heal any sooner. Give yourself a chance to mend. Think about it this way, what is a little paper work in cimparison to not being able to work at all.
 
Thanks everyone! You are all so kind :flwrysmile:

My hubby has been very good through most of this, driving me places and carrying my bag of tricks(Meds, water, ice packs, etc.) up and down the stairs, getting me drinks, etc. He is just having a hard time understanding why it is taking so long to recover. I understand because it is hard for me and I am going through it. We both had these grand ideas that were told to us prior to surgery that have been blown out of the water by reality. So, every once in a while we find ourselves questioning the process. I have to be patient with him just as he has to be with me. :friends:

As far as work goes, the tension in the office is almost unbearable do to a few key people messing things up a lot lately. Unfortunately it is in the department that I am in so I hear a lot of the screaming too even though it is not aimed at me. Today i was to be there 9-1pm and finally was able to leave at 3:30pm when I finally said THAT'S IT! I HAVE TO LEAVE! I still have a ton to work on but I told them it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I came home and iced for 20 minutes. Now I am going to do some light stretching and exer-band work prior to heading to PT as I am in a hurry to get out because I have to head to my MIL's house for dinner in honor of the anniversary of my FIL's passing 7 years ago today. So, once again, I am on the run tonight. UGH. Well, I am just going to have to tell the hubby that we can't stay very late and make him bring us home at a reasonable time. All to start this over again tomorrow.:gaah:

I do agree, I need to slow down, but unfortunately my life won't seem to let me. i take the 1/2 hour here and there that I can find to get on here to get out the frustration and rest my body. So, thanks for letting me do that here! :console2:
 
Shelly,
If your husband can take it, have him google Knee replacement surgery and watch one of the videos of the actual surgery and then he might understand more why it is taking so long to recover. Tehy are really not a pretty site but it makes you realize just how MAJOR this surgery is. I am glad to hear you left work early but not early enough. You just have to make the people around you really realize just what you went thru. Think of it this way would the company just shut down if you were not there or would someone else pick up the slack for you. You really need to take it slower and easier at this time.
 
Well part of me says if you weren't pushing so hard to please your husband you wouldn't need Vicodin. :skep::wink: As you said, you're taking it because you have pain. You just had an MUA for goodness sake. Take it easy on yourself.
Each person is able to let go of the pain meds at a different rate because each recovery is a bit different.
 
[quote="karmigirl, post: 392645, member: 5156" You just have to make the people around you really realize just what you went thru. Think of it this way would the company just shut down if you were not there or would someone else pick up the slack for you.[/quote]

Actually, I am the only one who knows how to do my job so yes, without me they would have a heck of a time. Of course this gives me job security but it also means that I can't take much time off. The one boss knows a part of the job but no one can do everything that I do. That's the beauty/downfall of being so good at your job. :shrug:

But I do know that I need to take it slow. This really is slow for me. I am usually going going going like the energizer bunny.
 
Oh my gosh it was already after 4 when you wrote your note and you had worked 6 1/2 hrs, plus travel, then were exercising and icing, then going to PT then going to MIL for dinner. OMG. I know you are almost half my age but we still had the same surgery...only then you had MORE surgery. I agree with someone above....you may have less pain if you weren't soooo active! But you are young! I got the cortisone shot in my "other" knee on Thursday and I still don't have any knee pain, either knee, although was MISERABLE that morning. (8 weeks post op last week) So have been pain free pretty much, for 5 days now. That's weird, but maybe that's how it goes. Tell your hubby the pain goes away and then you won't need pain pills. Or just smile as him. :heehee:
 
Smile and nod, smile and nod! Lol!!!

I got home at almost 10pm then wrapped a few presents and got so tired I had to tell hubby I was going to bed without him (He's playing on the computer) so I am icing now and going to bed. At least I don't have PT tomorrow! I have to get up at 6:45 for work though. So nite nite everyone.

By the way, I've not been able to keep up on all of your lovely threads due to this busy schedule. I've tried but I fear I have missed a few. Sorry about that. It's not because I don't care. I just find 5-10 minutes between everything and try to read as many as I can. Let me know if anything great has happened to you!
 
Shelly, I too ran like you do at your age, and waaayyyy beyond. My job was different in that I was a full time mom and homemaker, homeschooler, therapist, chauffeur, taekwondo instructor... I have 4 children with learning disabilities, one of whom had a stroke as an infant, and had a husband who had to give up driving early on because of macular degeneration. I did not have help and my husband went to work and come home and was off duty. I worked 24/7 and dropped into bed completely exhausted for years and years.

I would have to say in retrospect that the best thing I could have done differently at a younger age is learn how to slow down and take care of myself. If we do not deliberately make time to take care of ourselves we become so physically and emotionally depleted that our body will eventually stop us. We will not have the wherewithal to keep going. NOW don't try to say that stopping to take care of yourself is not in your husband's best interest too. He wins when Shelly is rested and healing and later is able to be there for him in every way, and not just running bedragled and also giving him the tired worn out Shelly.

My point is that you are going to run yourself into an early grave, at some point all this will catch up to you. Do NOT let your life run you, slow down, learn how to put more PAUSE in your life. Doing this is NOT selfish, it is ESSENTIAL to your well-being and to the well-being of your relationships. (((((hugs)))))
 
You will all be happy to know that I took some me time today. I had to work and instead of leaving at 1:00 I left at 2:30 but because of that I finished all that had to be done right away so I told them I was going home and I wasn't getting back on the computer today. So I came home, had lunch and laid on the couch and watched a movie. Then hubby came home and we had a small dinner and watched a little more TV and then wrapped some presents. Now I am icing again before heading up to bed. I feel good today! I walked a little without the cane but I still don't feel secure to do it much.
Tomorrow I have work for a couple hours then our holiday party. After that I'm going home and I have PT at 5pm. Not too terribly busy.

Good night everyone!
 
So pleased to hear you are taking it easier. You really do deserve it after our op and your MUA. I am so lucky I dont have to work and when I am feeling a little tired than I just stay on the sofa and watch senseless tv and fall asleep. I really hope you enjoy your holiday party. No dancing on the tables now. Just keep walking with the cane until you feel more confident. No rush. Take it easy and take care. x
 
I woke from a dream this morning that I had gotten up to do something and without thinking I walked to the other room like a human, no cane and no limp. It didn't dawn on me until I was in the other room that I was doing it. Maybe this is my brains way of telling me that I think too much about the knee so mentally I am holding myself back because I am afraid of trying to walk normal. I think I may talk to my PT today about trying the treadmill nice and slow of course.
 
It worries me to think about people who are barely stable without a cane using a treadmill. On a Facebook knee replacement page there is a gentleman who still relies on his cane and he boasts of using his treadmill. I just think there is too much risk for injury. I'll stick with walking laps around the house and my recumbant bike until my doc gives me the ok to get back to the gym. Before surgery when we were talking about my going back to the gym, he had warned me to stay away until January and even then he wouldn't recommend a treadmill
 
ErniesMa I didn't even attempt the treadmill until after I was 3 mos out. I like it now, and it helps me with my gait. Hugs!
 
I can't imagine even going as slow as 2 mph loosing footing and falling on one of those! I'm playing the better safe than sorry route...lol.
 
Sorry, I forgot to mention that at my PT place, they strap you into a big contraption when on th treadmill so it can take the weight off of you and you just use it for the motion. Then as you are doing better, they slowly release some of the weight so you bear it until you can bear all of your weight. Like they may start off at 50 pounds of weight so it is much easier than carrying this whole huge body of mine around. That's what i meant, not using the treadmill by itself while still needing the cane :heehee:

Today was pretty cool! Went to work and we had our holiday party. I got a whole Dearborn spiral ham, an ornament, a candy bar, stationary with my name on it, 4 gift cards, a huge thing of peanuts, a bath fizz, a mini bottle of champagne, chocolate covered cherries, and some cash! Not to mention the filet mignon lunch I had. And now I am at home with my feet up! It's a good day for me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom