TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shelly,
Sounds like it was really worth going to work today. Hope you a feeling better. Continue to keep taking it easier and you will get there sooner.
 
I officially go off of disability leave on 1-1-13 but they said that they would work with me if I need to leave early or anything still since I have been working through most of my recovery anyway. My bosses are pretty darn nice! And one told me today that he misses me being there each day and is looking forward to me being back every day.:yes:
 
Shelly,

I too am in a job where I was the only one that could do it. Now maybe it is because I AM so much older than you and had pushed myself to go back to work earlier than I should have in my earlier years, and ended up paying the price in terms of my health (as BJMac was talking about in an earlier post), that before I went on my' surgery I insisted that there be someone for me to train to take over my work in my absence. Job security is great, but I did not want to feel the pressure to go back to work before I was ready. So they found me someone, and I trained them, and I wrote up tons of instructions for them, and then I totally forgot about my job for 10 weeks. And I am so glad I did it this way, and actually really took care of myself for the first time in my life! And even when they sent me a get well card that everyone signed with things like "Recover now!" and "Get back here NOW!" I laughed til I cried but I did not feel guilty. Even though you are over your surgery, now is the time you say to your boss that it is not good for the company that you are the single link in a chain, and that they need a backup person who can do your job. If you make it look like you have the company's best interests at heart they will love you even more! :xmaskitty:
 
Shelly, I had some dreams like that too where I dreamed that I got out of bed and bent my knee way back and I was so happy. Funny how we do that.
 
Hi Shelly, I haven't been keeping up with threads well lately, but I just found yours (or found it again?). Looking through the last few weeks, let me just say, your husband and his video are hysterical, your cookies are fabulous, and Schoolcraft College (Haggerty between 7 and 6 miles) has a nice pool also. What a challenge to get back to work after surgery! At least your boss has been fairly supportive! It's funny to see you mention Kmart and Costco, because I've likely been in those same stores.
 
Today I have PT in the morning and then work and then I get to have Red Lobster for dinner. Yum!!! So, I will check back in this evening. Hope everyone has a great day today and for those with the snow storms, I hope you are able to stay inside where it is nice and warm and drink some hot cocoa!
 
Well, I got my ROM to 97.5 today! I am almost to 100! I am so excited! I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. Yeah yeah yeah! Oh, sorry, got lost in a moment there... But seriously, I did get it!

I had a very busy day today and am now exhausted. So, I am gonna get ready for bed here. I have to work in the morning again too. UGH!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
Oh, it's those little milestones that pump us up and make us smile, smile, smile! Good for you----and it will just keep getting BETTER & BETTER!
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
 
Shelly, congrats on the new number and I loved your song, I could almost hear you from here! Yay you!!!:yay:
 
Shelly that is super. I think I heard, probably on here...hahaha or my PT, that 110 is the functional number. I guess nice to have more bend but 110 is all it takes to be NORMAL! Anyway, that's probably going to come soon now that you are progressing! Tell us what you are doing at home to get further bend. Do you do chair scoots at home or work? The scooting is such a nice natural painless way to advance The Flex! Anyway CONGRATS to you on your progress!
 
Good going Shelly, yes I think 110 seems to be the "it is doable" range. You should be able to go up and down the steps, but maybe not fast type of range. I know I am striving for the 120 and for this past week I am at 118 and I even caught myself running down the steps (hanging on of course). Like I told Chantel yesterday, if I don't get any more ROM, I am pretty happy. I only have one more PT left this year before my deductible starts over, so I told her this will be it.
 
:martini: :yay:CONGRATULATIONS SHELLY :yay: on you 100 ROM. thats all you need to know that MUA was the right direction for you to go in. What a lovely early christmas present for you. :martini:
 
I asked the therapist what my goal should be and she said that 120 would get me to be able to do most everything so that is my goal now. To be honest, I am not doing as much at home as I should be. I do a few stretches here and there but I don't do everything i should be just because there isn't enough time in my day to do everything. That and I get so exhausted that I just have to stop and rest after a while. Today I went grocery shopping, did several loads of laundry, did the dishes, started a puzzle and dusted my bedroom. Yesterday, I worked 9-3 then came home to change then went to PT then went to the bank then picked up the hubby and went out to dinner, then to KMart and then wrapped presents. My days are so full of "life" that I don't have much time for home PT. The only thing I do is when I am in the shower, I use a folding chair so as I am washing my hair and such I scoot my chair forward which stretches the knee with the hot water right on my knee. Then I do foot flaps as I have it up on the couch or in bed. I do a lot of walking around so maybe that helps too. I am getting a lot more ROM but I am still quite sore when I use it a lot so I do still have to use the cane most of the time and when I go to the store I am still using the electric cart if it's available. Otherwise, I am just taking it easy and one day at a time. My PT sessions last from 60-90 minutes at a time and I go 3 days a week so I am sure that is why I am having success even without doing much at the house. But since the MUA I have gone from 85 to 100 in just over a week!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
Well, good grief!, Shelly, just living is doing PT without thinking about it. You are getting lots of exercise everyday all day long just doing all the things you're doing. You do not need to do extra PT! I mean--you aren't even 2 months post op--and there is no hurry, believe me. I did very little PT and exercised on my own very little---but I have good ROM---and you've got loads of time to improve on that. So cut yourself some slack---you're doing plenty (maybe too much sometimes).


[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
Do you recognize this person who's all over the place being busy? I think it may be you.
 
Sometimes I wonder why I am so tired at the end of the day and then I think of what I did that day and go "DUH! That's why you dummy!" HAHA!

By the way, I got my hospital bill this week. I was wondering how much other people were charged for their surgery. Mine, before insurance, was about $28,200. Is that normal? It seemed about right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom