TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shelly, sounds like things are improving and you are feeling much better. Hope you got a good night's rest!
 
Today I sort of feel beat up like my leg is bruised and I pulled a muscle or something but it doesn't ache too bad. I can't lay on my side with one leg on the other because it feels like pushing on a big bruise. Also, I don't feel like the ROM has increased yet but maybe by this evening's PT it will have loosened up more. I have to work today so I just have to watch how much I do.

On a good note, I finally get to go to the pool so I am thinking about checking it out this weekend.

Hope you all have a great day and keep moving forward!
 
Shubbles, My MUA experience was awful. It was worse than the original surgery for me! Yikes! It has really set me back with swelling and pain. I can't believe you are back at work. How is that going?
 
Yes Shelly why are you working today? I think you really should take today off, it would give you a long weekend recovery. Hugs!
 
I really wish I would have stayed home. I had a horrible day today. I was sore in my thigh/groin muscle today but it wasn't terrible until I had gotten to work only to realize that i had forgotten to bring my pain meds with me so I had nothing from 3:30am until 4:00pm. In addition to that, I had an emotionally awful day so by the time I got to my car at 3:30pm, I broke down in a full out balling session. I cried all the way home and then kept crying through PT. I just couldn't stop. i still feel teary as if I could break down at any minute. It was a very trying day for me. I wish I would have just stayed home in bed all day, head under the covers.

Oh and in addition to all of that, after I got home, I went to walk from the family room to the bathroom which is up two steps and it caused that awful pain in my leg that feels like it is tearing apart making it so I couldn't walk at all. Let me just say, this is not something you want to happen when you REALLY have to pee!

As far as the MUA goes though, it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I hurt a lot in the morning right after but as the day went on I felt better. By the time it was dinner time, i was able to walk around without the cane again. It wasn't as easy or painless as it was the night before the MUA but I could do it. Today is a different story. Today I can barely walk WITH my cane. It just hurts and won't stop. I did gain 10 degrees in my bend though so I guess at least there is some good news from this. At least I have the weekend to rest, ice, and elevate. I do want to go try out the pool if I am feeling better tomorrow. I really think it will help a lot for me. We will see how I am doing in the morning.
 
Off to try our local heated pool this morning. I am dragging the hubby with me too. I hope I am able to use the water bouyancy to walk without the cane in there. If so I want to go a few times a week if I can find the time. My mom even wants to go with me if she is allowed. I will let you all know how it goes!
 
Shelly, I am sorry you had such a ghastly day at work. I hope you can get some R&R this weekend and just recover. If you are at least waist height you should be fine in the pool. Actually, I think it would be hard to use the cane in the water as it won't move in a straight line! Hope you enjoy it, I love the pool!
 
Aww Shelly sorry to hear you had so much pain yesterday. Rest up and recover this weekend and give yourself a little break. Hugs!
 
I went to the pool and did walking and stetching exercises for about 40 minutes. Hubby went with me but just stood along the side of the pool telling me different things to try and letting me know when I was not doing things correctly such as swinging my leg to the side instead of bending it to come forward. He was a great coach today! I am definitely going to go back, though I may go check out the pool at the local YMCA to see which I like better. Either way, I am definitely getting back in the water!

After that, we went and ran some errands. I used the electric cart at Costco but had to walk with the push cart at KMart as the electric one was dead. That was a feat! I didn't last too terribly long but I did what I could. I am still sore from the MUA on Thursday.

Then we came home and I put it up and iced it while I did some office work that needs to be done by Monday. (Part of my bad day yesterday) So, that part is done now and the hubby is snoring away across the room so I am going to wake him and see what we are going to do for dinner. Chow! (Yep, I bet we will! :rotfl:)
 
I'm so glad you liked the pool and it sounds like you got a good workout. Don't be surprised if you feel achy in places you don't usually feel it, asa the water resistance is deceptive. Sweet dreams tonight!
 
Wow Shelly you are doing great. I can't believe you've pushed yourself through the MUA and have continued to do your PT and even the new water therapy. That is really neat and you should feel so proud. Plus you are working! Amazing!
I was worried the MUA might be worse than it was although I know you are hurting now. But really, you are getting through this so well. Crying doesn't count, it just seems to come with the TKR territory!
Lisa I like your new avatar photo!
 
Sounds like your sense of humor is intact! :)
Hope you had a great dinner!
 
I hope you can rest up a bit today.
 
No rest for the wicked. I went to the East side (45 minutes away) to deliver all the goodies to my family today. Then came home and napped for 30 minutes and then headed back out to the store. Then made dinner and then wrote out the Christmas cards as we are running out of time to get them out this year. Now I have to do some more office work for something due on Tuesday. I will be going into the office for at least a half day tomorrow. Ugh I am so exhausted! Plus I have PT 4 days this week! Yikes!! Just taking it one day at a time.

Only 9 more days till Christmas!
 
Shelly, I am exhausted just reading this. You are like the Energizer bunny. I guess saying take it easy won't matter, huh? :)
 
I think part of it is because I can tell that I am holding my hubby back from doing things so I try to keep up with him as much as I can. He is getting to a point where he is having a hard time understanding how long this will take. For instance, he started questioning me today about having to continue the Vicodin and saying that he wants to be sure I am not becoming addicted to it. I know that I am not and that if the pain wasn't there I wouldn't be taking the meds at all but he just sees that I am still on it after almost 7 weeks (not counting the 6 months prior to surgery) and he can't see the end so he is questioning a lot of things now. It's hard for me to get him to understand that it is going to take a long time. So, i try not to complain much and just do all that I can until I just can't do anymore. BUT, it is exhausting.

Also, being that I am only 34, I want to be out and about doing all that I can so i just keep telling myself to just move on and I will get to lay down in a bit. LOL!
 
Shelly, wow, just caught up on you. Can't believe all you are doing and you just had your MUA. I glad you like the water therapy. I know my therapists thinks since I started going in the water my knee is doing better. I am sure you will be able to cut out the pills as soon as your body lets you. I forgot to take mine this afternoon and doing just fine.
 
Shelly, I hope all is going well. I see that you are having issues after you MUA, but you are improving. As far as holding hubby back, don't worry, he will have his own health issues that you both will have to deal with in your future, so you have to address yours now not his!

Stay well my friend!
 
I am going to attempt half days all week at the office. I will probably end up staying later since I am so busy anyways but I want to try half days because I only have 2 more weeks disability approved right now. If I want more then I have to turn in all sorts of paperwork to extend it. Besides, my bosses are really wanting me back. So, I need to try to see what I can suffer through. Hope all goes well!
 
Shelly, I hope you can stick to the half days. I am sure they want you back, but now is the time to be putting yourself and your recovery first. I know how hard this is, you feel guilty for not being back at full speed, you feel frustrated that you don't have your normal energy. Even though you are younger than most of us here, your body still has to cope with the trauma of the surgery and anesthesia, so you need to give yourself the time, no matter what the bosses say!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom