TKR New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Done you for all those lovely cookies. You must feel very proud. And glad its all done i bet. Now have some rest in between working and everything else. Take care x
 
You said, "We made", who helped you with cookies?

BTW, they look soooo yummy! Good job! I hope that you are not feeling any worse because of the extra standing.
 
My hubby helped and my MIL helped with some of them. They are wonderful!

Thanks everyone!
 
Had a long day today. I got up at 7 and did the usual get ready for work routine. Drove to the office. Worked for 8 & 1/4 hrs then drove 45 mins to my moms house. Rested for half hour then drove to the casino for dinner and games. I got home at 11pm! Ugh. I am beat!

Tomorrow I have PT at noon and then my 6 week follow up with the OS. I know he is going to push for MUA but I am going to tell him to hold off a couple weeks. I want to try the pool and some more PT before taking that step. I just hope that he will agree with me. He is a believer in the idea that MUA can only be done within a certain time frame for proper results. Lets hope I have a miracle by tomorrow and I get my ROM to 100! Lol. :beg:

Good night everyone! :sleep:
 
Hi Shelly, is your Rom over 90 yet? Mine was 92 at 8 week review appointment and MUA didn't even get mentioned, but then I'm not in the USA. At one year I can get up to 118 which seems low compared to others but I can do most things that I want to do. I think you're spot on asking to wait a while longer yet before having it done.
 
Good Luck Shelly with your appointment today. After reading what you did yesterday I dont think MUA should be mentioned at all. You make me tired just thinking about it. It also goes to show you are healing really well and coping with work and going out and a lot of people me included could not cope wth that. ROM is important but more important is getting up and about and dealing with your TKR as you are so a big pat on the back from me. So different here. I dont even know what my ROM is i have seen my physio 3 times she has given me no new exercises Im still doing the ones the physio gave me in the hospital and I dont see her again until Dec. 20th. We are so much more relaxed here arent we with physio. Be waiting to see your post later how you got on and sending you hugs and good luck x
 
Campervan, Last we checked, the best I was able to get so far was 84 at week 5. I just hit week 6 yesterday. I have PT in 20 minutes so I will check it again today but I don't think it will be much more than that just yet. We will see!
 
So at PT today i talked to my guy as well as the lady who runs that location and asked their opinions on MUA. I could tell that they were hesitant about saying something because they did not want to go against the doctor's suggestion but when I asked if they had others that have had an MUA and how they progressed afterwards, they both basically said that it doesn't do much for most people. They said that once in a while if someone had good muscle control prior to surgery and they were very motivated to constantly work through a ton of pain following the MUA then they may gain enough ROM to make it worth it but for most patients, when we hurt we don't want to do any movement so the MUA ends up being of no use. My guy said that he was going to tell the doc how well we have progressed over the past 2 weeks and that he recommends holding it off for at least 2 more weeks to see how much more I can gain during that time. So, I am going to tell the doc to hold off. HOWEVER, I also asked how long out someone could be and still have the MUA and they all said that there is a small window in and around the 6 week mark that you can have it be successful without causing a problem with the prosthesis itself. Apparently, if you wait too long, you could damage the device instead of fixing the scar tissue. This is why they want it done at the 6 week mark. But, again, they cannot make me do something I don't want to do so if I tell them I want to hold off for now then they will have to deal with that! There. I put my foot down! :)

On a better note, I had a little break through in my extension over night. I got up at 5:20 for a potty break and when I stood up I felt several small "pops" in the knee and all of a sudden I could straighten it a lot more! Then after PT, I made some lunch and walked into the family room which is down two steps before I realized I didn't have my cane in hand! So, I left it in the kitchen and I will get it when I get up to head to the doctor in 45 mins. :egypdance:
 
Well folks, apparently i need to have a Dum Dum tattooed to my forehead because I am a SUCKER!:headbang: I went to the doctor and after telling myself over and over that i was not going to get the MUA done and I was going to stick up to him and say NO, he talked me into getting it done.:shrug: He said that he knew from the beginning and said he mentioned it to me, though I can't remember him saying anything until the 2 week visit, that this was very likely going to need to be done in my case. He used a special type of replacement that generally needs to have the MUA done because of how it is put in, or something like that. He also said that knowing my history and the lack of ROM I had after my scope in feb he fully expected that I would need this done. I mentioned to him that a lot of folks on here have said that they don't do much for ROM and that they hurt a LOT and he said that he would bet me that I will get 15-20 degrees more by doing this, based on his experience. He also said that not one of his patients has complained about it causing more pain. I am a bit worried and have been teary eyed :cry:because of it ever since i was in the office, but he assures me that this is the best thing for me and it will speed up my recovery process. So, the bottom line is, I go in at 7am tomorrow to have it done. :yikes: I sure hope that I don't regret this! :beg:
 
Shelly, Wow that was fast! Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and wishing you a pain free experience and speedy recovery. Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it! :kittykiss: :friends:
 
Oh Shelly I feel so sorry for you. Youd almost made up your mind not to have it done and then you walk into the doctors surgery and you tell yourself they really know better and you should listen to them. It makes you so confused. I am sure this will be the best thing for you and you are going to recover so much more quickly. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope all goes well. Extra special hugs from me x x
 
Thanks everyone! I'm nervous about it but hopeful that it will help. I just started having so much progress and was feeling better and even walked a bunch without my cane today so I really hope it works and doesn't set me back at all.
 
Shelly, I wish you the best tomorrow and I am sure you made the right decision. Like all of us you need to trust your OS, and it seems like you are! Stay positive my friend, things will get better and the sooner the better! I look forward to your post after you MUA!
 
Something to get me through the next few days...
[Bonesmart.org] New knee 30th October 2012 - Age 34
 
Shelly, I saw on Lisa's thread that you were weepy and hubby blew up because he dropped some cookies, please keep in mind that hubby is as stressed as you right now because he doesn't like seeing you in this sad and stressful state. Guys really don't know how to handle this until they have been through it many times and they are older and wiser. He just doesn't know how to make it better for you and he doesn't understand why. Just like we act when it's an issue concerning them. Life is just hard that way.

You will be fine tomorrow and the healing will start and you both will move forward! Bess you my friend!

By the way those cookies are one of my favorite!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom