Hip Resurfacing New hip on September 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you keep from doing too much.
If I had the answer to this question I would be a rich woman! This is the hardest part of recovery. The mind says go for it and the body is not ready. I am currently struggling with this as well.

Trouble is - if you do too much you just set yourself back in your recovery. Don't push or try working through any situation or activity. Listen to your hip - it will tell you loud and clear when you are not doing the right thing. And build up your activity - slowly! Try to do half as much as you think you can do. When that seems easy, do more. Slow and steady is the tried and tested recovery tool.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, 3 weeks post op today. Weekend was nice and lazy spent most of it at the camper. Today was pt day, i'm starting to think they are training me for a marathon although this actually fits my personality. Always enjoyed working out hard.routine wasn't that bad started on exercise bike then on to toe raises, 3/4 squats, marches, butt kickers, then step ups with a 2inch platform. Over to table to do heel slides, leg lifts and straigt leg leg lifts and finish with butt squeezes. And the best part is I get to do this all again tomorrow. Lol.
Actually hip feels good other than some stiffness and little pain in thigh while doing leg lifts.
thanks for reading
dan
 
Hey Dubld1! I had a LTHR on April 7, and a resurfacing of the right hip on June 23. I am 60 yrs. old and painfree today. Do you have any questions that I can help you with? By the way, I am much happier with the resurfaced hip, due to greater range of motion and flexibility.
 
Hi @waterman1, that makes feel me better. How long did it take for you to be walking without any kind of aid. Also curious, does my pt sound similar to what you did. Other than that i'm doing good. Just struggling with having things to do and not being able to do them.nothing worse than having someone else doing the work and not being able to make sure it gets done. Thanks for the offer. I'm sure i'll have a question or 2 in the future. Lol.
thanks again.
dan
 
Yes dubld1 it takes 6 weeks before you can go without aid. June 23 seems long ago now, and it seems like I have been walking wherever I want to go for a long time. The canes and walkers are all covered with dust now, put away in the memory closet. There was more pain with the resurface recovery than the THR, and it was a full 6-8 weeks before my confidence grew that I was going to be OK and could walk without a cane. You don't need a bunch of PT in my opinion. I went to outpatient therapy twice and quit. I became germaphobic and didn't like the crowded place at all. I just walked. Just remember, when you walk you must come back. Make short trips, and the next thing you know, you can walk a mile. Elevate your leg on two pillows and use ice as much as you can. Go to bed with an ice pack. Go to bed with your leg elevated. As the weeks go by, the pain starts subsiding quickly. What I noticed early on, was it was easy to cross my foot onto my knee to put on socks. Still a challenge to do this with my THR leg.
 
Now that really is the hard bit...!! It's a learning curve on how much you can do without overdoing it and causing pain. Your body will let you know if you overdo it. Be patient though....I've seen too many people doing too much too soon and putting their recovery back. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
And yes Dan, your in home PT is very similar to what I had going. Mine was 3 times per week in home... I made the choice not to go to the PT Center around week 4 or 5, and just walk. Numerous short walks per day can replace the outpatient PT in my opinion...
 
@waterman1 : actually my pt is at the local ymca. They do a pretty good job.Always making sure I follow my restrictions. I wouldn't mind doing it at home but I would probably do more than I should. So this is probably better and safer for me following their guidelines.
Dan
 
LOL Dubid....I opted for outside PT because I knew I wouldn't do much of anything on my own at home. It was a good decision for me, but everyone has to reason it through for themselves. With hips, we have options....stick to just walking, home exercises, PT, combinations of any or all of these. But whatever choice we make, it's crucial to figure out what is enough and not cross over the line to too much too soon....a calculation often discovered in hindsight, it seems.

Therefore, I would counsel to err on the side of plenty of moderation for a good long time. It's MUCH easier to very slowly and gradually increase activities than it is to find yourself dealing with tendonitis issues six or nine months down the road. We see SO MANY posts from people with successful early recoveries, but anywhere from three to nine months later, they have intense groin pain, sciatic pain, bursitis pain, IT band pain, quad muscle pain, etc. A lot of this is self-inflicted (I speak from personal experience!). It is SO hard to be patient, when you were very active pre-surgery, and are just itching to get right back to an athletic life. But it does take a FULL YEAR OR MORE for all the soft tissue to completely heal...pace yourself in recognition of that.

Sharon
 
Hi@sharonslp, I understand and don't want to go through any of that myself. That's why I follow the guidelines the pt sets for me and tell them if anything doesn't feel right or question anything that seems too much. So far everything seems to be going well. Thanks for the advice. I definitely will keep this in mind.
dan
 
Hi all, today was another pt day.went real well. Added a couple different things. First one was what I call the leg sled ( its where you sit an an angle with your feet in front of you to press the machine forward and extend your legs), the 2nd one was where you stand on a piece of foam like stuff that can rock back and forthm my job was to try and balance on it.both felt pretty good. Hip feels real good today.the stiff feeling I have had is lessening. Now on home to relax and make dinner. Have a great day everyone.
dan
 
You making me feel quite tired with all your exercise!!
Has your surgeon agreed to all this PT?
 
@happyhopper , actually yes. I questioned this myself last week and they showed me the guidelines he gave them to follow. This really doesn't seem like much to me seeing how on pt days I don't do much after I come home. Other than ankle pumps and the squeezes, but I do all my home exercises twice on off days. But I do slack off if I feel any discomfort as to not set myself back..
Thanks for the concern. Always nice to know people care about you well being.
dan
 
Actually hip feels good other than some stiffness and little pain in thigh while doing leg lifts.
Well that's a danger sign. If it gets worse cut down the exercising - or preferably cut it out!!

Did you forget this: Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Go back and read the recovery articles in post#3
 
@Josephine : no I didn't forget. The exercises I do are only the ones i'm told to do by my pt. And when it doesn't feel right or hurts I make a point to tell them and then won't do any more of that exercise. I understand what you're saying and for the most part I follow what you say. But mostly I listen to mybody and what it tells me..
Thanks for your advice josephine. I really do appreciate it.
Dan
 
Thanks for your reply Dan. Just wondered who your surgeon is and how many resurfacings he has done.
If you look at 2 of the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the worlds websites, www.mcminncentre.co.uk/rehabilitation and ww.grossortho.com/forms/V1 others/Phase 1 hip both of these surgeons have very basic exercises for the first 6 weeks whilst the initial bone healing is taking place. Indeed Dr Gross's protocol is very limited and mostly includes walking.
The moderators on this website are trying to help you avoid a revision to a THR which is what will happen if one of the components comes loose!!! Perhaps your surgeon needs more income!!!!!
There is a young chap on a resurfacing website who has done a lot and it now sounds as though he has severe problems. This is not a sprint it is a marathon as you want your resurfacing to last you 20/30 years and if it has been put in well and treated sensibly it might well last.
Look forward to hearing details of your surgeon.
Regards
HH
 
@happyhopper , my surgeon is a local guy by the name of Patterson. He works for a specialty ortho clinic. Not sure exactly how many he has done but as he showed me the list he kept scrolling for a time.he is well respected in our area which why I went to him.I understand and appreciate all the concern. I'm a licensed massage therapist along with a master instructor in martial arts. With training in healing and some meditation. So I do understand the concept of listening to my body and not doing more than it accepts. And no I do not want to deal with a revision surgery seeing how that would set me back. I go back to the dr. In shortly so I definitely will question all the pt.Thanks for all the concern.
dan
 
@dubld1

From one athlete to another, I think you are on the perfect track. You are very well versed in how your body works due to the fact you are a martial arts instructor as well as a massage therapist. Go with your gut as you have been doing and if it doesn't feel right don't do it. I had a full THR a week before you and have had the same Physio for over a year. Even now I do question here and there but he takes the time to explain exactly what muscles are involved, why and which exact way the can be used. I am stiff but I expect to be as there is a difference between pain and stiffness for me.

I think you are doing great and after 6 weeks you can find a pool to swim in that would really help your ROM. I am counting the days until I can get on my indoor trainer and back in the pool. There are days when I am tired and just walk and then there are days where I do my PT and walk.

On this forum everyone is at different level of fitness before they start and I believe that each PT journey should be tailored to the fitness level of the person before the surgery.

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom , thanks for the support. I agree with you about the fitness levels. My pt is also wonderful, taking the time to explain and always asking how i'm feeling. Whether or not it hurts when doing any exercises. I am the same with my pt. I do my pt at a outside service and do what they advise but also listen to my body and try not to overdo it.when home I try to do my pt on my own but never do any exercise that causes pain.I used to believe in the mantra " no pain no gain" but getting older i've learned that isn't always true.
glad you're doing well Cheryl. Thanks for the support and hope you continue with you great recovery. Looking forward to hear you say you're back to your trainer and all.Sending healing energy your way.
God bless
dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom