Hip Resurfacing New hip on September 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dubld1

Dan

You know one of the things I will miss is kickboxing. I really loved that sport but it is too jarring for the new bionic hip! Oh well I am happy with triathlons and will only do 1 Ironman event per year but lots of endurance biking and swimming races to be done at the masters level. I really miss being in the water.....less than 2 weeks to go for clearance!

Yep all my PT is outpatient and I start d it 8 months prior to surgery to stay limber for my June race and surgery!

Have a good one

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom
Cheryl thats impressive, you're heads and toes above me fitness wise. Getting soft in my old age lol. Mostly working with the little ones ranging from 4 - 13. Still training but my instructor has me taking a new route towards more health related things such as tai chi and chi gung. My dr. actually chose the resurfacing so that I could continue on with my training just with a little less contact. Which will be hard but I got remember i'm not 20 anymore.lol.
question though, why do you have to give a kickboxing. I have a friend who had a total hip 5 years ago who not only does kickboxing he teaches it also.
have a great day.
Dan
 
@dubld1

Dan

Well it was the continual sidekicking not the straight kicks. Is your friends hip cemented or uncemented? Mine is uncemented. Perhaps you could let me know as it makes a difference with my OS as I am in a clinical trial/study with the latest state of the art hip prosthetic!

Cheryl

Ps. We have a 12 year old and I am 50..... He keeps my DH and I young....we are all cyclists!
 
Hi everyone, today was pt day.glad it was ( needed an excuse to get out of the house). Everything went well. It's all starting to get easy. I'm taking that as a good sign that the muscles are rebuilding. Still some swelling in the hip and a little stiffness. But I'm sure that'll get better with time.think the hardest part is learning to walk all over again only this time without the limp.did it for do long my body start thinking it was normal. Gonna be awesome when the day comes that I can walk normal again.can't wait for monday though . Finally get to drive again. Have a great weekend everyone.
Dan
 
Hi eveyone, Finally was given permission to sleep on my side. With a pillow between my knees of course. Makes sleeping a little easier but can't lay that way all night yet.so alternate between that and on back with leg elevated.wife went to a 5k cancer walk for charity this morning. Told her I would go too. Can't understand why she just laughed at me. Lol. What I wouldn't give to be able to walk that right now. I know with time i'll be there but my patience is wearing thin.I have been doing the cooking to give me something to do. Wife's loving this. Hip is doing fine. Think my biggest challenge is going to be getting my gait right and walking without the limp.
Have a great weekend.
Dan
 
@dubld1

Dan

I hear Ya on the charity run/walk....this is the first time in 7 years that I haven't run the Breast Cancer 10K but next year most definitely! Have a great weekend! Off to do my PT exercises

Cheryl
 
I know with time i'll be there but my patience is wearing thin.
Have you ever heard the old rhyme
"Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can
Always found in women, seldom in a man"!

:rotfl:
 
@Josephine, Can't say I ever have heard that one.gives me a little bit of an excuse. Lol. Actually I am a pretty patient person. I have to be to teach martial arts to 4,5and 6 yr olds. I just have a lot that needs done ( got a rental that needs finished so we can rent it out), and not being able to be involved is hard. Thanks for the laugh though.
have a great weekend.
Dan
 
Healing and recovery takes time - you will achieve both with patience :) Not easy though.
 
Dan just caught up on your recovery thread. You are doing great. I had my op 10/7 so I am a little behind. I am focusing on my gait too. I don't want any sort of limp. I limped for 2 years prior to surgery with the bone on bone pain and I know it wrecks havoc with our bodies. I am enjoying your progress. Thank you because it is nice to see others going through the same things. Have a great Sunday.

Kristina.
 
Nice day today, got most of the camping stuff put away for the winter.just a couple things and it'll be done.got to drive a little today. Its nice to know I won't have to depend on everybody. Other than making a homemade pizza for supper haven't done much but ice and elevate.
@xtina16405: yea i limped for bout 5yrs. At least thats what they tell me. Didn't have the pain unless I worked a 12 or 14 hr. shift.thats when it got bad.probably would have waited to have it done but got tired of everyone giving me a hard time about it. Lol. I couldn't raise my leg higher than hip heighth before op. So hopefully I'll be able to raise it higher after it heals. Had a hard time trying to ride a bike. Can't wait to be able to do that again. Hope you had a great weekend.
Dan
 
My you are busy @dubld1 - nice feeling to get organized though :)
 
@Poppet, yea it seems like it but my wife did most of it. I only did what she didn't know how or I was sitting to do.she's an awesome partner. Yea it'll be better when it's all done. The camper and the house.
dan
 
Hi all, today has been a good day. Started with pt., all the same exercises. They just keep getting easier. Makes me feel good. Can even do the marches without holding on. Then went paid some bills, off to work to pick up some forms, and visit for a bit with a friend in the computer room. From there to pick up some cat food. Then home for lunch. Fold and wash some laundry. Nice getting some stuff done. Still walking with a cane but feel like I could almost put it away. But keep telling myself I got time. Tomorrow marks 4 weeks and the dr. Scheduled me off for 12, so yea I got time. Besides don't want to screw up all the good work i've done.hip feels good. Hope everyone has a great day.
Dan
 
Great update Dan - nice to get back into some normal day to day living activities, mixed with some rest - good for you!
 
Not a good night last night. Slept for 2hrs then woke up. No pain or anything like that just wide awake. Tried everything to get back to sleep. From back to side and back to my back.Tried elevating the leg and tried keeping it flat. No luck. Finally got up and went out to family room and watched 2 movies on netflix. Finally back to sleep for a bit. Hips a little stiff today but not bad. Must have overdid it a bit. Not how I was hoping to feel at the 4 week mark.today's gonna be a rest, ice and elevate day. Can still be productive since everything can be done over the phone. Have s great day .
dan
 
@dubld1

Sounds like you are on track. I just got over the flu, so I feel like I have taken a couple of steps back in feeling strong but I know it will come back. My next goal is a bath! I still push myself here and there and test boundaries but that is how I judge what is over doing it for me!
 
@CanukTriMom, sorry you haven't felt good.but you should be back in no time.I'm fine with the shower. Just can't wait for the restrictions to be lifted so I can wash my lower legs and feet on my own.lol. yea i've been pushing it to walking without any aides around the house. Make sure there's always something near to grab onto if I need it though.today's another pt day. We'll see if they try to make it harder. Almost too easy on monday. Wife wants to bring the treadmill in the main house now. That'll give me something else to get in trouble with. Lol.
i'll check in later how pt went.
Have a great day.
Dan
 
Well pt was good. They did bump everything up. Still wasn't bad.was informed that on monday they will be changing up my routine. Sounds good to me, ready for a change.
wondering though; is it normal to still have the feeling of sitting on a brick at the 4 week mark? Don't notice it when standing or moving, just when sitting. And this dang tape on the scar, will it ever fall off. Very annoying.
Sorry to complain.
dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom